DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What Did the Maidens Find?

Luckers

Requested by bushleague16

I have a thread request for the ToM spoiler board, but I wasn't sure if it would contain too many spoilers and it would be tough to phrase without them. Could we have a thread taking a look at the thing that worried the maidens at the end of Chapter two that they wanted Perrin to see?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be funny, if hardly useful, if they just found a mound of dead trollocs deposited by one of the deathgates.

The tone suggested 'minor curiosity' rather than 'probable threat' to me, so I doubt it has anything to do with Galad or the Whitecloaks. Perhaps it's that statue that Rand described to Nynaeve in TGS.

-- dwn

(Edited to fix a typo.)

I'm not sure how it'd work chronologically, but could it involve Galad already? We know lots has to happen in this book and that's one of them. It could be one of Galad's Children that fled the Whitecloak attack somehow and perhaps has worrying news.

ETA: Heaps of dead Trollocs would be pretty funny.

"We found a corpse, sei'cair." Sulin said. "It has been dead for months, but it wore clothes I recognised. Those of Jasin Natael, the car'a'carns bard. Curiously he was clutching what looked to be golden hair. Our crime scene analysts are looking at the DNA now, but I suspect it was Graendal."

"What makes you think that?" Perrin asked.

"I read the glossary at the end of the book."

"We found a corpse, sei'cair." Sulin said. "It has been dead for months, but it wore clothes I recognised. Those of Jasin Natael, the car'a'carns bard. Curiously he was clutching what looked to be golden hair. Our crime scene analysts are looking at the DNA now, but I suspect it was Graendal."

"What makes you think that?" Perrin asked.

"I read the glossary at the end of the book."

Always that possibility. I hear that one of Rand's academies have been making significant strides in genetic analysis, something about a Human Genome Project nearing completion too.

On a serious note, I think the most likely thing is they've found the tracks from the Whitecloaks. If it were the Whitecloaks themselves I imagine there'd be a degree more 'Up Spears!' going on--tracks of a large force a day or two old would explain both their concern, and their lack of agitation.

On a serious note, I think the most likely thing is they've found the tracks from the Whitecloaks. If it were the Whitecloaks themselves I imagine there'd be a degree more 'Up Spears!' going on--tracks of a large force a day or two old would explain both their concern, and their lack of agitation.

Yet the maiden tells Perrin that he should see it for himself. That doesn't really fit with something as mundane as the tracks of an army. Of course, a similar situation took place when Gareth Bryne led Egwene, Myrelle and Siuan to see that merchant caravan bearing news of Rand's capture. Interesting and troublesome, sure, but hardly something Egwene had to 'see' for herself.

-- dwn

Yet the maiden tells Perrin that he should see it for himself. That doesn't really fit with something as mundane as the tracks of an army. Of course, a similar situation took place when Gareth Bryne led Egwene, Myrelle and Siuan to see that merchant caravan bearing news of Rand's capture. Interesting and troublesome, sure, but hardly something Egwene had to 'see' for herself.

-- dwn

Body parts!!! The question is what species?

The thing we need to remember is that Perrin sent the Maidens back the other way on the road (SW, was it?), to make sure nothing comes from behind them. So it wouldn't be WC tracks, because then Perrin could see those where he was. If it were the WC themselves marching towards Perrin's men, I agree that they'd be too busy putting on veils to have relaxed conversations.

I bet that this ties with the thing from Perrin's past that will haunt him in this book. The mega-pack is a definite possibility. So are signs of Slayer activity, but I can't imagine what those might be. Dead wolves, perhaps?

The thing we need to remember is that Perrin sent the Maidens back the other way on the road (SW, was it?), to make sure nothing comes from behind them. So it wouldn't be WC tracks, because then Perrin could see those where he was. If it were the WC themselves marching towards Perrin's men, I agree that they'd be too busy putting on veils to have relaxed conversations.

I bet that this ties with the thing from Perrin's past that will haunt him in this book. The mega-pack is a definite possibility. So are signs of Slayer activity, but I can't imagine what those might be. Dead wolves, perhaps?

See to be in aagreeing mood today :tongue:

I like both Darkhound and Wolf theory.

However, I like the wolf better.

Maiden's smell concerned. Not scared. Now its true Aiel are tough as Chuck Norris, but signs of a Darkhound super-pack, even the hardest would be a little afraid.

Dont know if the Maidens know the specifics of Perrin's wolfbrotherness, but they certainly have made the connection. They know he has some relation /sympathy towards wolves.

A pile of dead wolves would definitely fit.

It would be unusual enough to occasion the reaction. Knowing Perrin's affinity to wolves, they would want Perrin to to see for himself. They would definitely be concerned because of this, but not precisely scared, because there would be no immediate danger.

Lastly, we know that Perrin's storyline involves conflict with Slayer, id say dead wolves is definitely possible.

If not, then Whitecloaks are the second possiblilty. The description on Tor. for the chapter says that Galad's fate is being decided "suprisingly close."

Comments in other threads have speculated about it being Asunawa's body, and those of other Whitecloak questioners, however I can't see Galad leaving the bodies of his fellow Children unburied beside the road (not even Asunawa's). He's too Galad for that.

I'm not convinced about Trollocs either. If there were bands of Trollocs roaming around, Perrin's crew would have bumped in to them already. With 100,000+ people on the move and stopping to camp every night, the Trollocs would have tried to attack at some stage, even if it was just to drag off a few stragglers for their cookpots. And the Trollocs that attacked Tylee were down near Ebou Dar, hundreds of miles away.

Ok, so that's what it's not. What it is though....

I was originally thinking about the Basel Gill and the wagons. Maybe it could be a few burnt out wagons, but no bodies or any other clues.

But then I started thinking about where this character and story arc are going, or need to go. It has been about five months since Dumai's Wells for Perrin, and in that time he has basically travelled on foot and horse south through Ghealdan into Amadicia and then across into Altara and back up into Ghealdan again. Not a great deal of moving around, given that in that same time Rand has quite literally been almost everywhere short of Shara and Shayol Ghul, and we know that Mat has at least made it out of Altara finally and back to Andor.

Also, this part of the world that he is moving around in isn't that significant. Ghealdan is certainly not one of the bigger players, like Tear or Andor, and Amadicia is only really notable for formerly being the Whitecloak's nest. The only really significant thing about this part of the world currently is that it represents the border between the Seanchan-controlled territories and the rest of Randland. So what has he achieved, and where is he going?

He has, despite what about 99% of other posters think, progressed a fair way in this time. Maybe not in his head, which is what is so frustrating to all of us, but as a leader and general he has come a long way even from the guy who organised the battllelines back in the Two Rivers in TSR. The deal he made with the Seanchan was pretty impressive (something that none of the other Randland generals has managed to achieve), especially given that it also impressed Tylee and got her thinking about making the Randlanders allies instead of enemies. When TG happens they are going to need to be fighting with each other, not against each other. The fact that he made that deal for the reasons he did is unimportant in this context. If he did it for one reason he can do it for another, better one.

He also kicked the Shaido's arse, and got them on the run, as well as getting Masema's rabble out the way. So he negated two rogue elements that were wandering around causing a fair bit of mischief.

So all the f***ing around hasn't been in vain, but now he needs to be got back to wherever the real action is, and fairly soon. However, we know that he will still be near the Jehannah road for a couple more weeks at least (Rand sees him by the big fallen statue about a month and a half after Malden, whilst this scene is a month from Malden). From what Cadsuane says in TGS, we know that Perrin is travelling west when she and Nynaeve go to fetch Tam (she says "I assumed he would be travelling east", which indicates that it is the fact that he is not doing so that is the reason she has so far failed to find him). So, two weeks from this chapter, he is travelling west, towards Jehannah and away from Lugard, Caemlyn etc.

Why? What makes him make the decision to travel west? Has he not had enough of wandering around this little corner of the world? He doesn't have a kidnapped wife to go running after this time. If he's heading towards Jehannah, then it probably has something to do with Alliandre, or the Whitecloaks, or both. Whatever the reason, I can't help thinking that whatever the Maiden Mounties have found up ahead is going to be the decider for him, or the catalyst for his decision. There's simply too much faffing around going on with this arc for any more time to be wasted not getting anywhere. He needs to move, and soon.

Apologies, that was a very long way of saying "I don't know what the Maidens have found, but it's probably important".

(edited for typos)

A wolf nailed to a tree with a sign written on its chest: "I couldnt find Rand or Fain and I need to do something before the Shadow decides I am useless. So your next! Love, Slayer. P.S I groped Faile while she slept lol.

Wolves will probably be it, or something similar.

I must say, I originally thought Asunawa, but you guys are right, no way Galad does that, IF he had the time. If Perrin is fairly close by (and maybe the cause of the sunlight through the tent?), then maybe they got word of 100K+ people coming onto the road, and decided to mount up.

Regarding the road, is it paved or just hard packed dirt. Seemed like the latter, but I admit I wasn't reading too carefully. If so, then no Darkhound tracks.

I do like the idea of Slayer being in the mix, but why would he be wandering around in the area? To try to assassinate Perrin? He was bested last time, and seems like T'A'R would be a better bet. Perrin knows his faces.

Gill's wagons are a good idea, but why would Perrin need to see them?

Master Gil continued towards Lugard. The Maidens were sent to scout in the other direction. Doesn't fit.

It fits if you realize that Perrin wasn't just sending out scouts to look for Master Gil. Scouts, especially Aiel scouts, are sent out in all directions looking for threats, things of interest, and probably food to some extent. They were still on the lookout for Shaido, whom they know are moving eastward, and they might be reporting on that. Hell the Maidens even saw Shaido scouts watching his army. I have no idea what the Maidens found, but they were looking in more than one direction.

Is Gaul the only male Aiel with Perrin? If not, Aiel typically send different Bands to different assignments. If Perrin sent te Maidens to guard from the rear, someone else would scout in the other way.

Stone Dogs (like Gaul) guard the rear. That is why they don't retreat. Maidens act as scouts, because they are smaller and lighter then (Aiel)men they can travel further.

If it wasn't an eminent battle or a large pool of water there isn't a whole lot that would get an Aiel riled. It could be anything.

I wonder if it's a tinker caravan like Mat found in LoC.

Archived