DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WOT had done a ''Ghost Town'' Story 4 times - Best One?

The Fisher King

Can you elaborate on the last 3?

It's been a while since I've read through the series, and I can't recall the particulars of those places.

So Harbor: When Perrin is buying grain, he goes into So Harbor, there are a bunch of merchants but other than that, its a ghost town. Someone sees a ghost and the grain is rotten.

Shiota: Mat travelling with Valan Luca. They come across a "Town". Mat remembers it as one form shiota, an ancient nation. He stops everyone. A peddler comes into contact with the ghost village and it disappears. the peddler sinks into the road, leaving only his hat.

Hinderstap: Mat visits to get some supplies for the BotRH. The mayor tells him to get out before dark. He doesnt.

at night everyone turns into crazy zombies. Mat escapes. in the morning they go back, all the "dead" are returned to life. Resume life in the day as normal.

Mine would have to be.

1. Shadar Logoth. (it is the greatest, come on)

2. Shiota (I loved it, specially the scene afterwards when everyone is scared as crap, it just shows the effect.)

3. So Harbor (again, a really chilling scene.)

4. Hinderstap (it is last because while there was great action, it wasnt really scary. it was more about killing the zombies than actual fear.)

Knife of Dreams, Chapter 10: A Village In Shiota - Mat and co. encounter the 'illusion' (?) of an old city with a Peddler and his wagon on a road. The city melts into a sinkhole and the peddler, wagons, buildings and all vanish. Mat's memories allowed him to associate the city of illusion to the former nation of Shiota based on the architecture. It was mildly freaky the first time I read it. More freaky on rereads.

Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 26: In So Habor - Perrin an co. visit So Habor to buy grain, and when they are leaving the warehouse which is suspiciously infested with weevils, the people around him see a man walk through a wall. The city has a ghost problem. Not freaky, but interesting.

My personal favorite is Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 29: Something Flickers - Mat see people in the streets and tries to dodge through the crowd, while Tuon and Selucia give him strange looks. They can't see the ghosts, only Mat sees them. This is unique because they are only visible to one person.

Edit: Barid beat me.

Anyway, why isn't the Shiotan town listed in the ghosts section of the FAQ?

Can you elaborate on the last 3?

It's been a while since I've read through the series, and I can't recall the particulars of those places.

So Harbor: When Perrin is buying grain, he goes into So Harbor, there are a bunch of merchants but other than that, its a ghost town. Someone sees a ghost and the grain is rotten.

Shiota: Mat travelling with Valan Luca. They come across a "Town". Mat remembers it as one form shiota, an ancient nation. He stops everyone. A peddler comes into contact with the ghost village and it disappears. the peddler sinks into the road, leaving only his hat.

Hinderstap: Mat visits to get some supplies for the BotRH. The mayor tells him to get out before dark. He doesnt.

at night everyone turns into crazy zombies. Mat escapes. in the morning they go back, all the "dead" are returned to life. Resume life in the day as normal.

Mine would have to be.

2. Shiota (I loved it, specially the scene afterwards when everyone is scared as crap, it just shows the effect.)

4. Hinderstap (it is last because while there was great action, it wasnt really scary. it was more about killing the zombies than actual fear.)

I agree with everything here, BBM...Xaeder, BBM gives a great recap. ... Shiota and So Harbor go back and forth with me. Shiota was awesome. I do think the whole So Harbor bit is underrated - probably guilty of the book it got stuck in (COT) .... Yes, you can not beat Shadar Logoth :)

Fish

Mine would have to be.

I'm gonna have to agree with your rating for the most part.

SL just had it all. Atmosphere, deadly fog, the dead possessing the living.

Shiota is still second.

I would reverse the last two. So Habor had no sense of danger. The people were freaked, but the dead were not harming the living, to my knowledge. It was the only one with no casualties (granted that by morning, neither did Hinderstap).

Knife of Dreams, Chapter 10: A Village In Shiota - Mat and co. encounter the 'illusion' (?) of an old city with a Peddler and his wagon on a road. The city melts into a sinkhole and the peddler, wagons, buildings and all vanish. Mat's memories allowed him to associate the city of illusion to the former nation of Shiota based on the architecture. It was mildly freaky the first time I read it. More freaky on rereads.

Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 26: In So Habor - Perrin an co. visit So Habor to buy grain, and when they are leaving the warehouse which is suspiciously infested with weevils, the people around him see a man walk through a wall. The city has a ghost problem. Not freaky, but interesting.

My personal favorite is Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 29: Something Flickers - Mat see people in the streets and tries to dodge through the crowd, while Tuon and Selucia give him strange looks. They can't see the ghosts, only Mat sees them. This is unique because they are only visible to one person.

Edit: Barid beat me.

Anyway, why isn't the Shiotan town listed in the ghosts section of the FAQ?

Honest Answer? Because certain people *cough LB*COUGH etc got lazy and killed it. Its dead.

Great recaps - you and BBM both! Also, great call on ''Something Flickers''

Fish

So Habor and Hinderstrap were wastes of time simply because Perrin and Mat needed something to do, which took away from the scenes. I would add the Trolloc-consumed family Rand saw in TGH, and put that second on the list, behind only SL. Very nice scene.

I agree with this point actually. I think its semi harsh but I think its very fair.

Fish

So Habor and Hinderstrap were wastes of time simply because Perrin and Mat needed something to do, which took away from the scenes. I would add the Trolloc-consumed family Rand saw in TGH, and put that second on the list, behind only SL. Very nice scene.

Such a waste of time that whole provisioning armies thing. Let them eat cake...

I'll eat cake! All you got!!! :biggrin:

Fish

Very very very good reference Suttree. Are you french?

I didn't like So Habor. It has been flat. I prefer the negociation Berelain made with the merchant than the story of the ghost.

Shadar Logoth was a great ghost town. As the vilge in Shiota. I have goosebumps every time I read it. Hinderstap was funny in his genre.

I would put the whole Lanfear woman in white that Uno sees in the very first books as one of the creepiest at least from my own point of view.

It was very subtle and creepy with the whole forgotten ghost villages and the trap that Rand got inside seeing that farmers family over and over again....

Just because something has to occur for characters to survive, that doesn't mean it has to be shown on screen. By my calculations, Perrin hasn't taken a crap in almost two and a half years. Why haven't his intestines exploded!!?? How many times have we spent an entire chapter seeing the Aiel gather supplies? Or the Band of the Red Hand? Or the Queen's Guards? If we didn't simply assume they gathered provisions off-screen, we would have to be asking why they haven't all starved.

And while we're on the subject, McClellan's army consumed over 600 tons of supplies a day in the Peninsular Campaign. Given the technology in WOT, there would be no way of provisioning any of these armies unless the characters were spending every waking minute of every single day gathering supplies. That doesn't make for very engaging reading, which is why authors leave that kind of stuff out. So Habor was a waste of time, a manufactured climax for a book that otherwise didn't have one.

Just because something has to occur for characters to survive, that doesn't mean it has to be shown on screen. By my calculations, Perrin hasn't taken a crap in almost two and a half years. Why haven't his intestines exploded!!?? How many times have we spent an entire chapter seeing the Aiel gather supplies? Or the Band of the Red Hand? Or the Queen's Guards? If we didn't simply assume they gathered provisions off-screen, we would have to be asking why they haven't all starved.

And while we're on the subject, McClellan's army consumed over 600 tons of supplies a day in the Peninsular Campaign. Given the technology in WOT, there would be no way of provisioning any of these armies unless the characters were spending every waking minute of every single day gathering supplies. That doesn't make for very engaging reading, which is why authors leave that kind of stuff out. So Habor was a waste of time, a manufactured climax for a book that otherwise didn't have one.

The siege of Tar Valon and Egwene being captured blocking the harbor, setting up her takeover of the White Tower. Yeah no biggie that, let's just throw in So Habor since we don't have a climax!

While were there lets start to show you know little things like the Pattern unravelling for the first time! Naw that would be a wast of time. No need to have that on screen.

The siege of Tar Valon and Egwene being captured blocking the harbor, setting up her takeover of the White Tower. Yeah no biggie that, let's just throw in So Habor since we don't have a climax!

While were there lets start to show you know little things like the Pattern unravelling for the first time! Naw that would be a wast of time. No need to have that on screen.

Exactly. The climax and overall excitement of the book was so lacking that they had to tack on the Egwene cliffhanger. At least it was better than killing a runaway sul'dam or buying grain. I'm glad we're ("we're" not "were") in agreement that the scene was essentially a waste (not "wast") of time.

1. Shadar Logoth- One of the best WoT scenes, full stop.

2. Hinderstap- C'mon it was awesome, you all loved it realy!

3. So Harbor- Sooo creepy

4. Shiota- meh, it was alright, not realy memorable, though.

Shadar logoth just had me so creeped out the first time i read it, and then the after affects of it lasted a further few books too. Which is more than the other gost towns can say.

I think Hinderstap may have a bigger part to play in the story yet, why else was it randomly inserted into tGS? Plus, it was WoT zombie apocolypse in awesome mode, canny beat it!

The other two, yeah they were good, and so harbor had that realy creepy vibe to it which is always good...

I had to be reminded just what happened in Shiota because it wasn't realy memorable at all compared to the other "ghost towns" :dry:

the shiota one was just a foreshadowing to how the pattern is becoming wrong and messed up, hinderstrap was the follow up to that showing an even worse twist to the pattern (infinite loop), I think we will see one more situation somewhat like that but it will have serious implications to the story.

1. So Habor- Even more than Shadar Logoth, So Habor had that feel of menace, creepiness and uncleanliness. The way the sun never shone onto it, the fact that the townsfolk were terrified to go back into the city, So Habor is truly a place touched by the Dark One.

2. Shador Logoth- "Shadow Waiting", enough said. This is a very close second. If they played it up a bit more, made it creepier, maybe uncleaner, it would beat So Habor. Aside from Mashadar, theres the taint, which no one really feels, and the watching eyes, that also happens in TAR.

3. Hinderstap- Village full of Insane, Murderous people. Some nice action scenes, some good comedy value out of it as well.

4. Shiota- WOOOO! Dead walking, not like we ain't seen that before! :dry:

and 5. That village Verin Mentioned

Archived