DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Real World Taverens

Ozzie_aiel

Who in our history makes you look back and think they may have been one. You know the sort, people of charisma and luck who seem to do the nearly impossible.

Hitler is on this list, he made an entire country follow his mad belief, and survived so many assassination attempts that you have to wonder about it.

Others might include Ghengis Khan, Gandhi, Mandella, Abe Lincon (though I dont think he was too lucky there at the end) and possibly Cleopatra

I would think people like Hannibal, Alexander the great and Achilles would fall into that category.

Like you said they all acheived great things in their lives that a lot of people would say were impossible.

Whether or not you believe in Jesus Christ, I would argue that He is still the most influential human to walk the earth.

Our whole calendar is based around him.  The oldest history of the world (the Bible) is pretty much all leading up to His birth, His life, and His Second Coming.

Well, at least in Western civilization, He wins hands down.

Whether or not you believe in Jesus Christ Bruce Lee, I would argue that He is still the most influential human to walk the earth.

Our whole calendar is based around him.  The oldest history of the world (the Bible) is pretty much all leading up to His birth, His life, and His Second Coming.

Well, at least in Western civilization, He wins hands down.

Arnold Schwarzaneggar. In Demolition Man, which was set in the future, they said Arnie had become a politician. And then a few years later Arnie became a politician, the mention of him doing this in Demolition Man being the Wheels influence, a subliminal message of foreshadowing, paving the way.

Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix

Culeen McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series goes into great detail concerning Sulla's humble beginnings, his association and later enmity with Gaius Marius and his complicated relations with the Julii. She bases her version mostly on Plutarch but its a much easier and more entertaining read. I believe the series is eight books long, beginning with Marius' rise to power and continuing through the fall of Antony and Octavian being declared Caesar Augustus. It seems like a project on the scale of WoT when you're starting the series but I found it fascinating and informative.

My nominee for real life taveren is the great voodoo queen of New Orleans, Marie Laveau. Her real life accomplishments are so intermingled with her mythology that its more or less impossible to separate the two. Her first documented acclaim came during the aftermath of the Battle of New Orleans when she worked alongside Pere Antoine, the chaplain of St. Louis' Cathedral and a noted physician in his own right. He stated in various letters that he learned more about herbcraft and the treatment of fevers and inflammations from the illiterate teenager Laveau than from all his classical medical training, (he even named her as his mentor in contemporary medical treatises that he published decades later.) She was the dominant political figure in New Orleans for close to a century, no one could even claim to govern New Orleans without some accomodation with the queen. But what really gives her such a special place in my heart is the legend of how during her elaborate dance of ever-shifting loyalties during Reconstruction-era New Orleans she had reason to pick a fight with the Federal occupation forces by supporting the streetcar workers union, who were then known as the Po'Boys. During a protracted strike in the mid 1880s she sent out the call to all of the black kitchen employees to save all of the scraps from the kitchens for the striking workers. Various kitchen scraps on hard french bread softened with  gravy eventually came to be known as the po'boy sandwich. Healer, midwife, hairdresser, spy, witch, politician, madam, at times a conductor on the underground railroad and at others a slave trader; legend links her romantically to figures as varied as the Marquise de Lafayette, Aaron Burr, and the painter George Caitlin. Quite an interesting figure.

Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix

Culeen McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series goes into great detail concerning Sulla's humble beginnings, his association and later enmity with Gaius Marius and his complicated relations with the Julii. She bases her version mostly on Plutarch but its a much easier and more entertaining read. I believe the series is eight books long, beginning with Marius' rise to power and continuing through the fall of Antony and Octavian being declared Caesar Augustus. It seems like a project on the scale of WoT when you're starting the series but I found it fascinating and informative.

Well he is certainly quite the enigmatic figure. It was him who pretty much dealt the deathblow to the Roman Republic and ensured that republicanism would find it's end. How? He showed if you are determined and ambitious enough anything is possible.

Humble beginnings for his station. One of the most talented Generals in Roman history. He was awarded the Corona Obsidionalis for his military adeptness and success. Less than 8 Romans were ever afforded this honor. Yet disaster befalls because a jealous old goat by the name of Marius is envious of Sulla's rising star and tries to plot his downfall. Only for Sulla to hold a passionate speech to the legions who then swear their loyalty to him personally and therefore becoming the first person to march onto Rome.

I mean, Christ. That is one ballsy dude. They just don't make them of that caliber anymore.

Well I hate to be the one to go the dark route here, but I am suprised no one mentiond Adolf Hitler. He must have been one of the most influential people in history. With his public speaking, rhetoric and presence he turned a mild manered defeated nation into one of the most effcient and deadly war machines the world has ever seen. Not to idealise him, but his influence can not and should not be ignored.

He was awarded the Corona Obsidionalis for his military adeptness and success. Less than 8 Romans were ever afforded this honor.

Im not good at cryptic messages, but Im guessing theres seven Romans given it?

Sorry, Im in a really stupid mood today. Ive been badgering my boss all day and now they wont speak to me hahahaha

Well I hate to be the one to go the dark route here, but I am suprised no one mentiond Adolf Hitler. He must have been one of the most influential people in history. With his public speaking, rhetoric and presence he turned a mild manered defeated nation into one of the most effcient and deadly war machines the world has ever seen. Not to idealise him, but his influence can not and should not be ignored.

Actually Hitler was the first person mentioned in the first post....

Archived