DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Seanchan = USA? (another question, not just their accent)

mellojoe

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black Tower = Waffen SS

???  Yikes!

Is there more to that analogy than the black uniforms?  I suppose the Asha'man swear to one man, much like the SS swore to Hitler, but I would have a very hard time believing that RJ intended a connection between the Black Tower/Asha'man and Schutzstaffel/The Nazi Party.

I could be wrong, but that one just seems like quite a stretch.

I agree with you on the loose analogies of some of the other nations though.

I always like to pretend that Ebou Dar was loosely based on New Orleans because the of "any reason to celebrate" that Mat noted in one of the books, and the general atmosphere of the place.  But I'm from New Orleans, so it's likely I placed that analogy myself.

And yes, the Seanchan (as well as the Aiel) reminds me of japanese samurai,  who makes seppuku when dishonored, have a great deal of customs related with honor, duty, and so.

The Aiel are based off of many Native Americans; most noteably they are based off of the Pueblo Indians. However the Gai'shain (to defeat an opponent without killing them is much more honorable and taking them for a year and a day) and safety within a Wise One's tent is bases off of I believe the Iroquois Indians.

I see america as the Whitecloaks, their use of torture, and murder of innocent civilians in the name of the light(democracy) and their war on the shadow(terrorism), they are both generaly hated or at least disliked by the population of the world, and they think they know best and their system is best and they invade countries to assert their power(whitecloak war/south america, vietnam, iraq)

I always saw the Whitecloaks as the Catholic Church and Inquisition. It isn't a nation or state so much as an ideology that happens to be stationed in a particular area. Not the modern day Catholic Church, though.

I don't really think there is any analogue of the United States in the Wheel of Time verse.

There most certainly is!  Have you not heard the tale of Mosc and Merc?  :)

One of the strong points in favour of RJ and his writing of the WoT series is that unlike some other writers in the genre, he has never used the books as a thinly veiled vehicle for pushing his political views.  The only possible current theme that can really be drawn from the storyline is the danger of religious fanaticism, and even that is drawing a very long bow.

If you consider that one of the prime motivators of the Seanchan is "the return" - that is, returning to what they consider their historical homelands that they left centuries ago, the only people in recent history with that as part of their cultural ethos would be the Jews returning to Palestine - and that's pretty much where any comparisons start and stop.

Now, it's possible that RJ used that concept - a country and it's people who had been dispersed from their lands, and now capable of returning and trying to reclaim what they believe to be theirs centuries later - and extrapolated that to a completely different environment.  Just as there are inspirations drawn from other countries, other cultures, other historical examples in many areas of the story.  But thankfully, they are just that - a starting point, a jumping off inspiration for a far more complex world than propaganda for the writer's personal political views.

Sorry, I know I'm prolonging the thing here, but I kind of have to correct Demiandre. The Union Jack has no cross to represent Ireland: it's England, Scotland and Wales. Only. Grrr... ;)

No need to get angry for the moment, just wait a few seconds ;D

union_jack.jpg

I couldn't find anything else than a french image, but then, it works the same... I'm really sorry aunt Pol ;)...

(As the Wales were/are a celtic people, I think they used celtic crosses, not as Ireland, England and Scotland...)

There most certainly is!  Have you not heard the tale of Mosc and Merc?

Yeah and Lenn who went to the moon too, no?

But in the people culture, it seems normal not to use your own. It's hard to make your culture seems weird, funny and/or cool. It won't make much sense for me if a french writer was using french culture for an exotic cultural people... I wouldn't see the point of it.

I dont think US has any place in  a medieval - just before gunpowder era.

Not saying that there isnt any similarities in different nations, but thers nothing really old enough (except the Native Americans) just like you cant really have a country based on Australia in a medieval/gunpowder invention era, it wouldnt be realistic.

I think a lot of people would see the Two Rivers as the place they come from, due to identifying so heavily with main characters from the Two Rivers. Americans might see the Two Rivers as America, Germans might see the Two Rivers as Germany, as an Australian i see aspects of Australia in the Two Rivers people

I think a lot of people would see the Two Rivers as the place they come from, due to identifying so heavily with main characters from the Two Rivers. Americans might see the Two Rivers as America, Germans might see the Two Rivers as Germany, as an Australian i see aspects of Australia in the Two Rivers people

Well, as an Australian I don't generally see aspects of Australia in the Two Rivers people; that is, examples of many of the Two Rivers people could be found almost anywhere.

The exception is Mat -I believe many aspects of Mat's character were based on Australian servicement RJ was associated with in Vietnam. Even the name "Mat" is a contraction of the standard Aussie greeting of "mate".  But that's probably a discussion for another thread.

youve got Mat the larikin, Perrin the tradie, the will to continue after winter night, the will to continue after the Black Saturday fires, im not saying though that there is anything uniquely Australian about the Two Rivers, just that i know i read Two Rivers people in my own accent(Australian), because i identify/care about more with people from the Two Rivers than anyone else, probably because weve been with them from the first chapter, and the main characters are from the Two Rivers.

I was watching some documentary a few years ago on the History Channel that talked about the creating of the Gadsden flag. It's that early American one with the chopped up snake and the words "Don't Tread On Me" and "Join or Die". The idea supposedly (and I can't find this anywhere online) was that people believed a chopped up snake would die if it was not put back together before morning.

If anybody can find any confirmation on that myth then I'd say that or the flag itself drew inspiration for the Myrdraal's properties with not dying until morning. It is often described as snake-like too.

Silly thread.

As others have said, R,W, & B are common colors in many flags:

UK (Union Jack), USA (Stars & Stripes), France, Russia, and the Netherlands being the most prominent.

Every continent save Africa has a R,W,&B flags.

Europe: UK, France, Russia, Netherlands, Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Norway, Iceland, Luxembourg, Faroe Islands

North & Central America + Caribbean: USA, Costa Rica, Panama, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico.

South America: Chile, Paraguay

Asia: Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Nepal, Philippines

Australia/Oceania: Australia, New Zealand

Archived