DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Seanchan = USA? (another question, not just their accent)

mellojoe

I recently began thinking about the connection between the "Mountains of Mist" and the area where RJ's from.  The Appalachian mountain range in the southern US (North Car, South Car, Tennessee) is simply called the "Smokey Mountains".  Since RJ was from South Carolina, I can kind of see a small connection there.  I'd say that Randland is a mostly fictional place based off of all of RJ's favorite things, whether fictional or actual.  Sure, perhaps the Two Rivers is based off of the shire, but it doesn't have to be only that.  Maybe the Mountains of Mist are the Smokey mountains, and perhaps Tam is a lot like RJ's father, or Bran al'Vere reminds him of an official of the town in which he grew up.  Who's to say what bits and peices are mixed and matched from RJ's life to make up the wonderful place we know as Randland? 

I'm just saying to group it together as, Andor is Britan, Seanchan is America, Tear is China and so on, is probably a faulty notion.  Are there several similarities between their cultures?  Well sure, but there are other things mixed in there as well that one must pay attention to.  So is Andor Britan?  No.  Andor is Andor, Seanchan is Seanchan, and Tear is Tear. 

Know what I mean?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently began thinking about the connection between the "Mountains of Mist" and the area where RJ's from.  The Appalachian mountain range in the southern US (North Car, South Car, Tennessee) is simply called the "Smokey Mountains".  Since RJ was from South Carolina, I can kind of see a small connection there.  I'd say that Randland is a mostly fictional place based off of all of RJ's favorite things, whether fictional or actual.  Sure, perhaps the Two Rivers is based off of the shire, but it doesn't have to be only that.  Maybe the Mountains of Mist are the Smokey mountains, and perhaps Tam is a lot like RJ's father, or Bran al'Vere reminds him of an official of the town in which he grew up.  Who's to say what bits and peices are mixed and matched from RJ's life to make up the wonderful place we know as Randland? 

I'm just saying to group it together as, Andor is Britan, Seanchan is America, Tear is China and so on, is probably a faulty notion.  Are there several similarities between their cultures?  Well sure, but there are other things mixed in there as well that one must pay attention to.  So is Andor Britan?  No.  Andor is Andor, Seanchan is Seanchan, and Tear is Tear. 

Know what I mean?

Exactly. Everything in WoT is an amalgamation of various influences.

Wait a sec Japanese and Chinese?? But there's a description in one of the later books of Tuon saying she's like a small peice of black porcelain. So all this time ive been picturing her African american when she's actually ASIAN?!?

The Seanchan are a vast society encompassing many phenotypes. Remember, this is a continent we're talking about.

I recently began thinking about the connection between the "Mountains of Mist" and the area where RJ's from.  The Appalachian mountain range in the southern US (North Car, South Car, Tennessee) is simply called the "Smokey Mountains".  Since RJ was from South Carolina, I can kind of see a small connection there.

As a resident of Asheville, North Carolina, let me just say that I have always pictured the Mountains of Mist as my own locale ... the descriptions fit closely enough for me to overlook the differences.  The mountains sure have been misty this week!  :D

Wait a sec Japanese and Chinese?? But there's a description in one of the later books of Tuon saying she's like a small peice of black porcelain. So all this time ive been picturing her African american when she's actually ASIAN?!?

She's not African or Asian, she is Seanchan.  She does have the black skin and tight curly hair that we typically associate with African peoples, and many of the customs of the Seanchan are similar to historical customs of Imperial China and Japan.

Lets be clear here ... Jordan was not unsophisticated enough to simply transplant cultures/locations in toto into his world/setting.  Heck, the Aiel look like tall Irish ninjas living in a desert.  So, despite what I said about the physical resemblance of my back yard to western Andor, I'm going to ultimately agree with Doselan and Cillian and others here.  Don't conflate the nations of Randland with those of contemporary Earth.

According to RJ, the Two Rivers is based on Charleston where he lived. Geographically, not culturally.

I thought Charleston was on the water? That sounds nothing like the Two Rivers.

Well, depends on where in Charleston he lived...

600px-Charlestonriversmap.png

Archived