DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I don't think it will happen

algspkr

If an Aes Sedai turned into an asha'man, would this require special surgery or would they become asha'woman? What if a hermaphrodite was born able to sense the source, could he/she draw on both powers? I sense a hermaphrodite uprising soon, once we rediscover how to touch the power they will have no need for the rest of us.

As for the original question, I think the Asha'man are going to merge with the Aes Sedai.

If an Aes Sedai turned into an asha'man, would this require special surgery or would they become asha'woman? What if a hermaphrodite was born able to sense the source, could he/she draw on both powers? I sense a hermaphrodite uprising soon, once we rediscover how to touch the power they will have no need for the rest of us.

As for the original question, I think the Asha'man are going to merge with the Aes Sedai.

I do not believe that they will become the samething. The Asha'man will remain a seperate orginization, but I do see both groups coming together.

I see an alliance, not a unification... also, in truth, i dont see the Kin actually joining the Tower when push comes to shove... having met the Wise Ones, and see other ways exist, why would they except the stupid aspects of Aes Sedai life... i dont see it happening.

Ashaman becoming Aes Sedai would be very cool. This seems the sort of thing that would lead to the Age of Legends, but perhaps that is too far in the future for the moment.

However, assuming the Ashaman are around after the last battle, something is going to change about them. I can't see Randland putting up with male channelers who are bred to be weapons.

Ah, so much more interesting stuff that we'll probably just have to speculate on after the Last Battle. Probably for the best though.

In Nicola's foretelling she stated that after the great battle the Servants would balance the (something I forget) basically meaning that the AS would balance out the AM. That being the case I don't think they'll merge. I think that in the long run they will work together very closely and remain seperate entities.

Currently the Red Ajah has the highest numbers in the white tower with no job to do if guys don't need to be gentled anymore.

I think the Red Ajah offering to bond the Asha'man is the basis for an alliance between the Black & White Towers. They must have realised by now they need to form an alliance to get the best out of eachother and defeat the DO.

Maybe the Black and White Towers will continue training new novices/soldiers, accepted/dedicated and then meet for training together once they are all fully fledged Aes Sedai/Asha'man. They'd be pretty balanced then.

Thats what i would suggest if i were Egwene... a sort of exchange program, were maybe 15 or so go to learn from the other groups--not just the Asha'men, but the Wise Ones, and possibly the Windfinders... though in truth thats unpleasent.

Thats what i would suggest if i were Egwene... a sort of exchange program' date=' were maybe 15 or so go to learn from the other groups--not just the Asha'men, but the Wise Ones, and possibly the Windfinders... though in truth thats unpleasent.[/quote']

in all honesty i think that although it is going to be unpleasant it will be for the good of the world. the aes sedai need to get back to their roots where, they really were servants and they really were for the good of the world not the tower. plus i want to see Rominda (sp) face to face with Sorelia.

Cadsuane has no problems. She's arrogant, yes, but it is the arrogance that comes from certainty of self, and that cannot be faulted. The Wise Ones do it also. Other Aes Sedai fail in this reguard because their arrogance is based more on what people think of them. The constant need to wrap oneself in mystery and so forth.

• 2 weeks later...

Question; if it was acceptable for her to slap Rand because of his use of balefire, or because of his attitude, when would you find it accpetable for Rand to return the favor? When he finds out that she is trying to manipulate and push the ONLY person who is capable of saving the world or maybe when he finds out that she is witholding valuable information that he could use to make it easier for him to accomplish his "destiny"? Or can you excuse a woman for commiting violence on a man because "it was reasonable enough to do so" but could never accept the reverse? I personally believe in true equality. And if Cadsuane thinks that the best way for her to make her point is through physical violence, then Rand should be able to make his points in the same manner. And i guarantee hes got a lot more physical power than she does.

Frankly, I think that Rand is due for more than a slapping. He's become unbearably arrogant. I liked him at the beginning of the story, but as it has progressed, there has been less and less to like about him. At this point, he's almost irredeemable.

His attitude and behavior took a nosedive after Moiraine's misfortune, and despite Cadsuane's self-imposed mission to re-humanize him, he just keeps getting worse. At least the slap got his attention. Perhaps she should simply beat him down, like Nandera and the Maidens did, in order to drive the rest of the lesson home.

I'm sorry; I just think that Cadsuane is the best thing that could have happened to him, and that she's not enough. Maybe with Moiraine's (all but) promised return, he'll finally respond?

I see your point about physical violence and the question of whether or not what's good for the goose is good for the gander, so to speak, but Rand is of paramount importance to the entire world, and frankly, we just don't have time to play nice or fair. He wins, or everyone loses. Slap away, Cads.

Slapping Rand is hardly what I would call "physical violence". It was a means of gaining his attention and enforcing the importance of Cadsuane's instruction. Rand can definitely take it. She didn't hurt him. There is a WORLD of difference between what Cadsuane did and smacking around a child.

And if Cadsuane thinks that the best way for her to make her point is through physical violence, then Rand should be able to make his points in the same manner. And i guarantee hes got a lot more physical power than she does.

Because of that very fact, it would be different for Rand to slap Cadsuane, and far less acceptable to me. Many people, it seems, have the mistaken idea that "equal" means "the same". At least in the case of men and women, that is just not true. Rand slapping Cadsuane would be worse than Cadsuane slapping Rand, because Rand could probably break Cadsuane's neck, whereas the opposite is not the case.

The argument of equal and the same is necessary from a societal view. All attempts in the past to maintain a social rule of equal and different have proven catastrophic. Its one of what Plato would have called the Noble lie... it may not actually be the case, but for us to survive on a wide-scale level we must maintain the assumption of it.

Thats part of the point and part of the necessity. Yes we are different, and unfortunately hummanity as whole equates difference with evil, or that that which is different, is less. The only way we have of combating this is to lie, but it is, as Plato said, a noble lie.

Archived