DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hi i'm brand new here but I have a good theory! *spoilers*

So as anyone who's ever touched the series knows, LTT and the 100 companions sealed the bore on the DO's prison with saidin. Because of this, the DO was able to touch saidin and leave an oily taint upon it. However, in the latest book, Rand gets the ability to touch the DO's power directly. With this power alone, I don't think it would be enough to kill the dark one, but hey! Rand's got callandor, which is "unsafe". This leads me to believe that the sword is somehow capable of not only amplifying saidin, but the true source as well because it lacks the usual safety precautions a usual sa'angreal has. With callandor, nynaeve, and avhienda powering rand, I think they're going to turn DO's own power against him and kill him.

I don't know if this has been brought up before because I JUST discovered this site, but I wanted to jump right in to a good discussion :)

Welcome to Dragonmount!

I've never been a fan of Rand using the TP against the DO, purely because it doesn't seem like it should work. I've always thought it would have something to do with Fain. However, the idea does have merit and its entirely possible.

Welcome to DM its great that you just jump right in and the RJ got you thinking too! I see the credibility in your theory, and it has crossed my mind as well, I just don't like it. That isn't to say it isn't probable or possible even, I just want to dismiss it as I really don't want it to be. Though it would be like fighting fire with fire and using evil to destroy evil (the DO's power to destroy the DO) so that theory/way of thinking is something I can see RJ doing. I think I just want it to be more epic of an end, and less cliche. Plus in the books it was told to Rand that the battle wont be fought the way he thinks it will, so that is leading me to think it may not be a fight of One Power (or True Power for that matter). The more I think about the books the more I am finding cliches and stereotypes driving most of the surface things in the books, which I find rather odd since the rest of the world is so unique and detailed.

Again welcome to DM, so glad you found us and shared your theory.

The Last Battle will be some terrible awful choice where everyone wins BUT Rand, that would ruin the series.

I would rather see TP used on the DO then one of these endings. I however believe that RJ was a much better author then either of these possibilities  ;D

The end will definitly end with Fain.  He is a very similar charecter to Gholum in LOTR, who saved the day.  He is also the only charecter we know of that has a power that the shadow can not use, and the shadow is scared of it.  We know the DO has Slayer looking for him, and I think the hounds are looking for him as well. 

I do not see the DO letting his own power kill him.  It needs to be some other source of power. 

Well verin and moraine were both sure fain's/dagger's evil would spread, and spread fast enough to scare the shiz out of them.  They went through alot of trouble to keep it sealed in tar valon.  So presumably that spread has been taking place for quite a while.  Every place fain went, even for a short time, already showed men/women in a nasty, vicious, paranoid, blood thirsty, spiteful state.  So we see that their fears are true.

We've seen the evil of men forced to destroy the evil of the shadow before, in WH.  So if Rands side-wound gave him the idea to do the cleansing, maybe the cleansing will give him another idea?  Maybe he could suck out all the shadar logoth evil and use it in some fashion.  One thing is for sure, they have to deal with fain soon, otherwise verin's formula "if he can infect x people a day, and they in turn can infect x people a day", will be more meaningful.  Kinda like a zombie movie.

I favor the idea of the true power being used as a "shield" between the dark one and whatever Rand is doing with saidin and saidar so that the DO can't taint it. So the TP isn't directly being used against the DO... but i dunno, it still might not work. The whole "and the three shall be one" thing fits in here, too.

personnally I think the true power will be used to put fain out of the pattern and into the DO's prison using both to create a useful buffer that will shield the taveren and OP knitted pattern from getting corrupted or twisted in any way

I'm one of the believers that if Rand kills the Dark one, then he's ruined everything.

One thing we know about the Wheel turning is that there is always a Dark One at every Age.

If he's gone, then the Wheel won't be able to spin a new Age out.

However, I think there are two ways for Rand to kill the Dark One and start a new age.

He takes on the role of the Dark One - Not likely,

or Fain takes on the role of the Dark One in the future - which means he'll get sealed up somehow.

In another thread (I forget where, sorry) we are told that the DO derives the TP from the True Source, ie. from the same source as the OP. (Thus spake RJ). I'm wondering if Rand will sever the DO from the True Source rather than kill him. He'd need to be in a maxi-circle to do it, though, I should think.

But I'm not sure what effects severing would have on the DO, beyond drying up the TP. Would It no longer be able to touch the world? How does It do that, anyway?

PS: Found it. It's in Reply#97 on this thread:

http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,58334.96.html

The OP made me think:  What would happen if Rand tried to cleanse the TP?  Could that even be done?  Is the nature of the TP, and the DO, such that it would just corrupt those trying to cleanse it? 

If so, has Rand been tainted by touching the TP? 

The saa could also be seen as a taint, I guess...

The True Power would be a good way to seal the DO, but if with saidin touching the DO, it git tainted, why won't he if there is TP - the power coming from the DO - Between saidin and DO? Logically, it won't change anything. And I don't like the idea of Fain falling or beeing pushed in the Pit of Doom anf be the shield between the OP and DO, because it woumd be too Tolkien for me. The start of the story and the ending beeing almst copies of each other? It would ruin everything in my book...

The three shall become one and he shall hold a blade of Light, his blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul, to live you must die, Alivia helping him die are the main propheties that we think are related to the LB (I didn't listed them all, sorry for being lazy). There is mention of a trinity (in lack of a better word), of Callandor, the wound on his side, his probable death, and an obvious one. There isn't any way to put them all together in something that is coherent, clear and believable. So that shall happen on different scale, or different "times".

Bit the very end of this battle would be either the resealing of the bore, or the slaying of the DO. For the resealing, the best candidate for helping Rand would be Lanfear, who did the Drilling. And Moridin, beeing a philosopher with a lot of idea about the Pattern, the DO and the rest (the answer is 42, btw!) could also provide some information. (Side note, apart fro argumentation : It would be nice to see them link together Rand with saidin, Lanfear saidar, and Moridin the True Power (well maybe bnot linked with the other two, but channeling too at least) for the resealing, after beeing convinced it could end. /end of side note)

Or slaying the DO, probably with Callandor, in a huge battle.

Or for the theory regarding the way Rand cleansed saidin. The TP seems to be the pendant of the Shadar Logoth evil. So Rand using his side wound/using Fain's evilness/the Shadar Logoth Dagger (of which we hear in the 1st book!) to affecte the True Power.

Well those are wild thoughts on the topic, no need to prove it wrong

Ya I was thinking that was one of the possibilities.  What if they used the shadar logoth evil, either through fain or the dagger, like an angreal, tainting a portion of the OP with the evil.  So when the DO tries to taint the OP they touch to him when they need to bind him, well instead of getting tainted like last time, it just burns up along with the shadar logoth evil.  Giving them time to work their weave.

I was thinking on the bond between Rand and Moridin. As it seems sometimes that Rand act as Moridin would. There is a physical, a sensorial and a psycologic connection. Then could possibly Min see Auras around Rand that are Moridin's?

If I remember correctly, Min's viewings are just Foretellings of how the actions of today will weave the Tomorrow. They so are normally special for a person (or two if one die by the hand of tge other, or two people getting married) but there is more and more connexions, and the "Pattern between them", in the lack of a better way to put it, become thinnier. So some Visions comes from the wrong thread.

Does rand and moridin's connection basically imply, through the paradox, that the pattern is slightly confused, in the form of their overlapping, about their seperate identities?

to ^^ ya could be.  But I don't recall any serious changes in the images above rands head since the connection.  Though maybe...

Archived