DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Pole Dance (by Reyn)

Ah, pole dancing. :) My friend had her 18th birthday party as a pole dancing party. She knows a woman who is a pole dancer and has the pole set up right smack in the middle of her living room. ^_^ That was so much fun, pole dancing and beer pong... *sigh* Oh the good days!

Hey guys! Sorry I've not posted on this topic yet, but while I get a few videos gathered up for you why don't we start by having you all tell me what you know about pole dancing, and what your opinion of it is.

*cracks on Mirsh's photo*

Ok I will go first.

Pole dance is a type of dance(of course lol). Not a pair type dance. Usually a female dancer,dances around a pole in an appealing way which I like  ;D I dont know how you dance,though I would like to learn someday ;D

Alright, since no one wants to add anything to that I will start you off with my introductory to Pole Dancing!

Pole dancing is, as Bela stated, usually done by females (though they are not the only ones who do it, just predominant) and involves dancing around a vertical pole. There aren't really different "styles" of pole dancing, however each pole dancer may tend to vary their dancing to focus more on athletics/tricks, dancing, or sexy dancing, and may incorporate many styles and personalities of dance into their performance if they wish. Pole dancing is sort of like dancing in a small area where the pole is your partner! Also, some pole dancers may choose to dance using a static pole (meaning the pole doesn't move) or a spinning pole (which rotates and allows for more spin during moves), and may choose to wear sexy platform heels (though certainly not required).

Pole tricks involve a LOT of arm strength and core strength, as well as friction on different parts of the body which are critical for many holds. When pole dancing it is almost always a requirement to where tight fitting clothes and short shorts and tops in order to get the skin contact needed to perform certain tricks. A lot of burns and bruising can occur when practicing moves - the most common being wrist burn and on some more advanced moves burning on the inner thighs.

Although pole dancing has become more popular recently, it is a very new dance sport and still has a strong stigma due to the strip dancing also performed around a pole. Many pole dancers who started off years ago did not have a standard dance class to learn pole dancing and therefore had to teach themselves the tricks that have become popular today - and after those first pole dancers, others who still did not have a teacher usually learned by watching videos and imitating them. As a result there are many variations in names of dance tricks all over the world. Only over the past couple of years has pole dancing been getting more attention in the public and now there are pole dancing studios opening up around the world to spread the love, as well as pole dancing competitions. There is also a cry among the pole dancing community for the public to recognize pole dancing as a sport and I believe even an attempt to have pole dancing held in the Olympic tournaments! As the sport continues to grow, there are always new ideas spreading around for what can be done next, with new tricks being found and even such adventures as pole doubles (two people dancing together).

So that is my outline of pole dancing - and hopefully more to come as I post a few videos for you to watch (and be amazed!!) and I may even teach you a few moves a little later on =)

lol, I did a pole dance at the company chrismas party*blushes* was just joking around with the few who where standing with me but after i was done the guys on the balconey threw money down from the second floor gallery they where watching from*l* made five bucks!rotfl

Here's a bit more information I dug up from the USPDF for your enjoyment:

"US Pole Dance Federation (USPDF) was founded in the beginning of 2008 as the interest of pole dancing grew significantly in the US.

Today’s pole dancing is a sensual athletic art form, where creativity meets physical strength. This modern form of pole dancing started internationally in the 90’s. In the beginning of 2000, an inspired US introduced pole dancing in dance studios and fitness facilities.

It’s significant to understand that pole dancing is not stripping. This misconception prevents pole dancing from becoming something every woman should be able to enjoy. Pole dancing is a sensual athletic dance form that demands coordination, flexibility and physical strength."

Competitions look something like this...

Must have 60-90 sec choreographed routine where competitors will creatively include all of the following required elements (not necessary in written order)

20 sec of continuous floor work

2 spins

1 upright static pose

1 inversion

1 inner thigh hold

1 split

USPDF Judging regulations:

Transitions and technique

Execution of tricks

Originality of choreography

Flexibility and extensions

Individual style and aesthetics

Overtime/ under time

Overall performance

And here is THE MOST kick butt video I can show you of pole dancing moves I may NEVER accomplish (though I'm still gonna try!) =P

Clips from the latest USPDF competition!

Seriously, watch this. You will not be bored or disappointed!

And an equally wonderful video by a beautiful dancer!

And for anyone who wants to learn more, you might be closer than you think! Here is a list where you can find pole dancing studios in the US :

http://uspoledance.com/BAProgram_USPoleDanceCompetition.php

Sorry for the rest of you, you'll have to find one yourself, OR if you are REALLY interested you can buy a pole and take online lessons here!

http://www.studioveena.com

What are you thinking, Lo13?

I realize there are a lot of misconceptions about pole dancing, but I do hope everyone will spend a little time reading through what I have posted because pole dancing is much more than "exotic dancing". Leave your bias by the door and have a couple of spins round the pole!

Archived