DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Healing the stilled/gentled

Nomos

I was thinking about this when Nynaeve healed Logaine fully but only halfway for Suian and Leane. If only a 5-power weave of saidin can fully heal a stilling and a 5-power weave of saidar can fully heal a gentling, can a man fully restore Leane and Siuan after Nynaeve did her healing? 

Can burning out be healed in a similar manner?

I tried searching, but it didn't get me anywhere; if anyone has asked this before, please direct me there. 

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that burning out is different - the ability is simply gone, 'burned away', whereas stilling is a simple 'cut' - slicing the link between the channeller and the power.

Personally I suspect that Flinn could restore Siuan and Leane to their former strengths, but I have no proof for it, just my own thoughts, there may even be evidence to the contrary.

The answer to both your questions is we don't know. There are lots of opinions on both, but they're basically just saying we don't know in a more long winded fashion.

I think theres a separate method to heal saidin than to heal saidar. Off the top of my head i think nynaeve bridged the cut in Logain with Fire and Earth which are the male dominant parts she then used the same method on women leaving them weaker, i think she should have used water and air on the women and thats what the Ashaman used to heal Sashelle back to full strength

I think theres a separate method to heal saidin than to heal saidar. Off the top of my head i think nynaeve bridged the cut in Logain with Fire and Earth which are the male dominant parts she then used the same method on women leaving them weaker, i think she should have used water and air on the women and thats what the Ashaman used to heal Sashelle back to full strength
RJ said that only a man can fully Heal a woman, and vice versa.

I also think the imperfect method was used by one of the black yellow sisters in the rebel camp to heal a severed Cyndane (Lanfear) explaining her loss in strength

I find the whole 'Lanfear was stilled' theory a bit off. Siuane and Lianne were significantly reduced in power. They went from being one of the most powerful Aes Sedai to the bottom tier. Cyndane is still more powerful than Graendal, and Graendal believes that even in the Age of Legends there were few men, let alone women, stronger than her. Unless we're going to believe that Lanfear was ridiculously stronger. I know she lost strength, but it doesn't seem explained by the stilling theory to me.

Its said in the books that Lanfear was as strong as it was possible to be  in Saidar, Cyndane also sais in WH after confronting Alivia at the cleansing of Saidin "she was stronger than Cyndane had been before the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn held her! That was impossible; no woman could be stronger. She must have an angreal, too." WH page 671. So if no woman could be stronger than Lanfear, she was as strong as posible, then its conceivable that she is still stronger than Graendal after the power loss of being healed

Why not try to restore them to their full strengths by stilling them and healing them using Saidin?

If you lost your arms, and then miraculously had them restored, but not with full mobility, would you have them torn off again just to try and have them restored perfectly? Consider that neither we nor the characters in the books know if you can heal stilling twice. It certainly seems likely, but who knows? Would you risk it?

Also, one of the forsaken made a comment somewhere saying that severing was supposed to be the most painful thing you could ever experience. That'd be another reason. Who'd want to suffer the worst pain imaginable twice?

Why not try to restore them to their full strengths by stilling them and healing them using Saidin?

If you lost your arms, and then miraculously had them restored, but not with full mobility, would you have them torn off again just to try and have them restored perfectly? Consider that neither we nor the characters in the books know if you can heal stilling twice. It certainly seems likely, but who knows? Would you risk it?

Also, one of the forsaken made a comment somewhere saying that severing was supposed to be the most painful thing you could ever experience. That'd be another reason. Who'd want to suffer the worst pain imaginable twice?

I might, especially if my life depended on having full mobility of my arms, and I trusted the person who was going to do it to me again. 

I also think the imperfect method was used by one of the black yellow sisters in the rebel camp to heal a severed Cyndane (Lanfear) explaining her loss in strength

I'm going to have to disagree on this one.

Her loss in power may also be due to her time spent with the Eelfinns.  I seem to recall seeing somewhere that they feed off that sort of thing.  If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Moiraine couldn't channel anymore when she gets out, or if so very, very weakly... she might say something about that in her letter actually... I forget...

I find the whole 'Lanfear was stilled' theory a bit off. Siuane and Lianne were significantly reduced in power. They went from being one of the most powerful Aes Sedai to the bottom tier. Cyndane is still more powerful than Graendal, and Graendal believes that even in the Age of Legends there were few men, let alone women, stronger than her. Unless we're going to believe that Lanfear was ridiculously stronger. I know she lost strength, but it doesn't seem explained by the stilling theory to me.

Firstly, the suggestion is that she was burned out, not stilled. This makes sense on a number of levels--firstly, Lanfear and Moiraine fell through a ter'angreal whilst channeling, which subsequently melted. Based on that alone following all the comments about the dangers of ter'angreal we should have expected them to have been burned out.

Secondly, and more significantly, Moiraine's bond with Lan was severed when she fell through the Doorway. We've only seen two things sever a bond--death, and being severed from the True Source.

For the rest of it, you will find an addressal of all your points in my Brandon's Confusion about Cyndane's Strength Thread. Warning: there are no tGS spoilers in the initial post, but there may be some in the responses.

Check out my 'Brandon's Confusion on Cyndane's Strength' Thread in the Dragonmount Theory Database.

We've only seen two things sever a bond--death, and being severed from the True Source.

We have seen Moiraine make her way to Finland without losing her ties to Lan, so stepping thru the gate wasn't enough.

However, just because we've only seen two ways for a bond to be broken (3 if you count burning out) doesn't mean there aren't other ways.

We did see her bond pass. It's possible she set it up in a way that she could pass it whenever she wanted to, and passed it on in case she died.

We know she's not dead, so she didn't just set it up to pass if she died.

Archived