DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tuon's Ethnicity?

BMcGrath

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always confused as to how she claims to not look much like the royal family, the only explanation I could come up with is that she doesn't share a father with her siblings, and it is from him that she gets her dark complexion.

• 6 years later...

I'm going to pretend she's white. Before I started noticing all the black porcelain doll comments of Mat's I'd imagined her as white and with his other descriptions and her personality I thought of her as being really hot. I want her to stay hot, for my imagination's sake, and since I rarely find black women physically attractive it's hard for me to imagine her being both black and hot.

(And before anyone tries to take offense, I've got nothing whatsoever against anyone of any color. It's just a matter of what I'm attracted to.)

I think that the characters reflect a very diverse group and with that said, I definitely think Tuon is black, but so was Ishara, the first queen of Andor, and Elayne is obviously white. Thousands of years have passed and everything changes. Also, I don't think the native tribes of Seanchan are white and we don't know the racial make-up of Artur's army.

Edited by Kesiera_Sedai

Grandfather, mother, sister and brother. Wide variation in appearance in just a few generations. Americans don't really understand this, because we still tend to marry members of our own race. If we mixed it up more, it wouldn't be so surprising. 

Ann_Dunham_with_father_and_children.jpg

(In case you don't recognize him, the little boy is Barack Obama with his half-sister Maya and his mother and grandfather.) 

Ishara is depicted as dark skinned in the stained glass windows of the palace in Caemlyn. Seanchan is always described as a multi-ethnic society. Some of them look Asian, some look black, some white, etc. But they all speak Texan. 

In either book 10 or book 11 (I forget which one), Elayne is shown looking at a picture of Ishara and she is described as being dark. That said, notice some people, such as the Domani, are described as being copper-skinned, not dark, which shows a distinction as far as skin tones go. Apparently RJ's definition of "dark" meant more than just ruddy or olive-skinned.

• 2 years later...
On 4/5/2010 at 12:54 PM, gotbliven said:

Uhm, correct me if I'm wrong here, but as I remember it, when Rand and Mat first came to Caemlyn, the people were discribed as very varied, something about the skin colors ranging from "too dark" to "too pale".  After all, Caemlyn is one of the biggest cities, I don't think anyone would have raised an eyebrow at Rhavin just because he was black.

Tuon looked up at him through her eyelashes,a black porcelain doll in a dress...From Crossroads of Twilight...A Cluster of Rosebuds, p.617

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2010 at 10:20 AM, Majsju said:

Rahvin is never described as black, just dark, which is usually a very different thing.

I think it might have raised an eyebrow or two if he had waltzed into aemlyn, claiming to be fron Andor, while sporting a colour of skin only those who had met the Sea fold would have ever seen before...

He is described as Dark with grey at his temples and vert dark eyes.  So I don't think he is black where Semirhage is described as skin as dark as one of the sea folk.

Edited by Sabio