DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene's Reign (speculation & possible spoilers)

mb

This thread is to speculate/discuss Egwene's actions as Amyrlin and the changes she might bring to the White Tower.

Likely the Kin would join soon; and maybe also some of the other channelers with Elayne.

The rebel's novices would probably arrive before them.

If Tiana is still around, she might become the Tower's Mistress of Novices.

Egwene might form a group of Aes Sedia that would help reunite the White Tower; the sisters that hunted the Black Ajah might be that group's first members.

She might also send other groups to capture the Blacks that fled and to bring back other sisters to the Tower.  Those of them who prove to be non-Blacks, Egwene might let them go their own ways.

Egwene might use the current progress of Elaida's palace to fit the remainder of novices.  If there are novices left after that is filled, she might let building of it to continue/resume until there is enough space to fit all novices.  If there is space left after all novices arrive, the remaining space she might let the Hall decide what gets done with it.

She might at some time request that there be a second Mistress of Novices since the number of novices & accepted might be too much for one.

Egwene might later send an embassy to Rand; maybe something like the one she told the Whites.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you realize how many empty floors there are for novices and accepted to live in that haven't been opened in years?  I think Elaida's palace will house the Ashaman and become a transitional place till male channelers are accpeted more easily.

1) she is going to get the hall to declare war on the seanchan

2) she is going to start repairing the tower

3) she is going to try and control rand and use his against the seanchan

4) she is going to try and reform the red ajah into something useful (since male channellers are now acceptable)

5) she is going to send envoys to all known sisters outside of the tower, demanding they return to the tower or be proclaimed of the BA and that the tower is now whole and the civil strife is over

6) send a envoy to the BT and open a dialogue

7) after that she is going to send an envoy to the borderlanders and create an open dialogue between them and rand

8) she is going to send an AS advisor to each and every kingdom to advise

Considering how little time there seems to be left before the big shebang, I doubt we'll see too much of her reign.  I do foresee her attempting to draw all straggling AS back to the tower, in order to consolidate them to:

A  Present a united White Tower to the world

B  Search as many as she can for BA membership cards

C  Protect them from the Seanchan

D  Prepare them for their role in the final battle

She will attempt to contact Rand, and either attempt to form a truce or at least reach an understanding.  Barring that happening, she'll make do with making contact with the Black Tower.

In general, she's going to be mostly concerned with preparing the tower for Tarmon Gaidon.  Issues with the Kin, novices, advisors, Seanchan, and rebuilding the tower will probably play second fiddle.

Chances are we'll probably also see her bond that lovesick sap Gawyn as well.

Oh...and she'll renounce Bella as the DO, publicly execute her, and take all the credit for everything in classic Aes Sedai fashion while all the men are out and about doing the real work. ;)

even if a complete olde style AS reunification occures who would control it, Egwene would want complete control (DISASTROUS) and refuse to give any control to Rand (SUCCESS). Or do you think it would end up with the male AS being represented by logain and the female by egwene with rand ruling over all of them

I doubt we'll ever see anything close to a unification of male and female chanellers.  That would probably take another series at least as long as WOT already is, and I'm sure BS has other things he'd rather do with his time than write 16 books based on the battle of the sexes.

She'll try to do exactly what Elaida tried to, only better as she sees it.  Most of the world's remaining issues before TG, ToM and beginning of AMoL will be solved despite Aes Sedai meddling, not because of it.  Egwene is too blind to do what is necessary, she thinks Rand needs to be actively guided, though she saw that did no good for Moiraine, she refuses to see, and will still be harder now, that the devil you know, Seanchan, are better that the really big devil locked in a former Idylic paradise.  She will probably give each of the red sisters penances when they come back from the BT, for not telling the Amyrlin about so momentus a change, despite knowing that Eliada would've had them executed for proposed that to her.  After the Knowing the Amyrlin's anger I hope Rand raises an eyebrow and says "are you quite done?"  Following Egwene spluttering, Rand proceeds to lay into all Aes Sedai about what an F&@*(^ mess they've made, while a fully-healed Moiraine is in his party, gazing on serenely.  Doubt It'll happen that way but...

Things she will possibly do before the Series is done:

1)She will recall all Aes Sedai back to the Tower

2)Finding the rest of the BA will not be necessary due to them dying in the LB

3)She will send Sisters to the BT to let them know that they are an unchecked entity.

4)She will then be held responsible by Rand for her flub up at the BT.

5)She must then take in the Asha'man into Elaida's palace due to the BT being set aflame.

6)She will at some point kill Mesaana.

7)She must have the WT prepped for battle at TG, and will make sure their part in the battle is done.

Things she needs to accomplish after TG:

1)Reunification of all channelers, male and female. It is now safe for men to channel!

2)Root out any remaining DF's and BA that have survived TG.

3)Find a way to incorporate the Kin back in the WT fold.

4)She will set men and women to test with Elayne to see if they can make angreal and such.

5)She will be the first new Tamyrlin in over 3000 years, that's if Rand is dead.

Yeah she has a lot to do before and after TG. This is just what I think will happen.

Pretty sure we're due for a confrontation between Egwene and Rand in ToM. Elaida did a Foretelling that Elaida incorrectly assumed meant herself,

"The White Tower will be whole again, except for remnants cast out and scorned, whole and stronger than ever. Rand al'Thor will face the Amyrlin Seat and know her anger. The Black Tower will be rent in blood and fire, and sisters will walk its grounds. This I Foretell." - Crown of Swords

That has yet to happen, and the truce Rand has been skirting with the Seanchan is likely to be the cause. Either that, or the forcible bonding of sisters by the Black Tower, which I'm not sure Egwene yet knows about and is likely to take about as badly as the Seanchan's damane. I can see it being one or both.

Who says "knowing the amyrlins anger" has anything to do with Rand taking some lip from Egwene? "Know" is a tricky word at best.  It's quite possible they could be angry at the same thing, or Rand could simply become privy to Egwene's anger, perhaps directed toward the Seanchan.  After 12 books, are people really still taking prophecies and foretellings literally? Tisk.

Who says "knowing the amyrlins anger" has anything to do with Rand taking some lip from Egwene? "Know" is a tricky word at best.  It's quite possible they could be angry at the same thing, or Rand could simply become privy to Egwene's anger, perhaps directed toward the Seanchan.  After 12 books, are people really still taking prophecies and foretellings literally? Tisk.

I think people taking this one literally comes from humanities deap rooted wishes to see Egwene bite off more than she can chew (once again) and get burnt from it. God I hate Egwene, cant wait till Rand tools her and I hope its infront of everyone possible even invite the forsaken to see her humiliation

Who says "knowing the amyrlins anger" has anything to do with Rand taking some lip from Egwene? "Know" is a tricky word at best.  It's quite possible they could be angry at the same thing, or Rand could simply become privy to Egwene's anger, perhaps directed toward the Seanchan.  After 12 books, are people really still taking prophecies and foretellings literally? Tisk.

Know may be a tricky word, but face is not. It indicates some kind of confrontation, and you really have to stretch it to make it mean something else. It -could- be something insignificant, but we -are- talking about a Foretelling here, which means is usually not silly inconsequential stuff.

We're not talking about Egwene getting uppity and giving him some lip here - the Seanchan just got done raiding the Tower for new damane, fully intends to keep this policy in effect, the Dragon himself shows no interest in changing that. After all, an Aes Sedai on a leash can serve him just as well as an Oathsworn. Oh, and on top of that, his man Taim in the Black Tower likely just forcebonded or executed an embassy of Aes Sedai at the end of KoD.

There IS reason for confrontation between the two here and it would strike me as some seriously lazy storytelling if it were just fobbed off as some meaningless trifle that the Amyrlin would simply accept. Major plot device, and treating it with some fairytale ending like "and then they were all friends and fought the shadow happily ever after" would be lame.

There IS reason for confrontation between the two here and it would strike me as some seriously lazy storytelling if it were just fobbed off as some meaningless trifle that the Amyrlin would simply accept. Major plot device, and treating it with some fairytale ending like "and then they were all friends and fought the shadow happily ever after" would be lame.

I am hoping for more of a "then all of a sudden a dark aura appeared around Rand, Egwene took a step back suddenly afraid she had pushed him too far. As Rand took a step towards her he calmly whispered, "don't be childish, I march towards Shayol Ghul. I need this peace if need be I will find someone else to conduct affairs in the Tower, do I need to do that or will you come to negotiations and leave the infighting until after Tarmon Gaidan when I lead the assault on the Dark One?" Against this onslaught she knew there was no chance at regaining the haughty position that the Amyrlin Seat was, at least not in the eyes of everyone at the meeting, most of whom averted their eyes like people used too when they saw two Aes Sedai arguing. She hated being told what to do by Rand, but not doing so would result in her looking childish something that would do severe damage to how other Aes Sedai saw her. . . and word of this meeting would spread. Finally she muttered, "fine lets get this underway, I want. . . ""

I included Dark Rand because he is awesome, undynamic and hopefully a tool that he can utilize :D

I am hoping for more of a "then all of a sudden a dark aura appeared around Rand, Egwene took a step back suddenly afraid she had pushed him too far. As Rand took a step towards her he calmly whispered, "don't be childish, I march towards Shayol Ghul. I need this peace if need be I will find someone else to conduct affairs in the Tower, do I need to do that or will you come to negotiations and leave the infighting until after Tarmon Gaidan when I lead the assault on the Dark One?" Against this onslaught she knew there was no chance at regaining the haughty position that the Amyrlin Seat was, at least not in the eyes of everyone at the meeting, most of whom averted their eyes like people used too when they saw two Aes Sedai arguing. She hated being told what to do by Rand, but not doing so would result in her looking childish something that would do severe damage to how other Aes Sedai saw her. . . and word of this meeting would spread. Finally she muttered, "fine lets get this underway, I want. . . ""

I included Dark Rand because he is awesome, undynamic and hopefully a tool that he can utilize :D

Pfft, not a fan of Dark Rand as anything other than sub-plot. He's far too easy to use as a cheat to walk through otherwise good storylines that should represent a challenge for Rand as the Dragon Reborn and champion of Light.

For some reason I stand nearly alone in Egwene supporters - she's one of my favorite characters in the series, and magnificent in tGS, but I have this gut feeling that she's going to kick the bucket - and I feel like it's going to happen in ToM. Will be a sad day. Bella will shed a tear.

You're not alone , clu7ch ! Egwene always had her fans and tGS much improve their numbers  :)

Musing about her destiny , I guess both her lovers and haters would be glad . I think her Reign would be not so long as it's predicted , but very intensive on result . My main theory about Egwene is that she represents Tripple Goddess of ancient religies - the Virgin with ageless look and gray hair of the Crone , whom everybody names Mother . Now the only one isn't present is gray hair , but those Bloodknives ter'angreals could cause this effect if use it temporary ( my Guess only  ;) ) So , Egwene will be forced use it for the Greater good by circumstances and sacrify her Youth for the Light fullfilling the Goddess image .

I think the unification of male and female channelers needs to happen soon because I always thought "Under this sign (the ancient Aes Sedai symbol) he will conquer" to mean just that. Egwene will have to be a part of that.

Also Mesaana is Egwene's forsaken to take care of. So, that needs to happen.

For some reason I stand nearly alone in Egwene supporters - she's one of my favorite characters in the series, and magnificent in tGS, but I have this gut feeling that she's going to kick the bucket - and I feel like it's going to happen in ToM. Will be a sad day. Bella will shed a tear.

I also do not understand the Egwene hate. She's not my favorite character (Mat!), but she's definitely not one of my least favorites either - she never got on my nerves like some people say she does. I really enjoy her PoVs, especially in the last two books.

I think her captivity in the Tower and bringing down Elaida from the inside was brilliant and that it has developed her character into a powerful and wise woman, more so than she was from just proving to the Salidar AS and Sitters that she really was the one in charge. I think this change is going to carry over and make her a strong leader, and I doubt she's going to engage in a lot of the pettiness a lot of people on this board think that she will.

I think she sees her need to get Rand to talk/work with AS again not as a need to utterly control him but more that she knows that they're all going to have to work together for TG. When Rand and Egwene meet again, he may "know her anger" but I don't think it's going to be a scene with her being whiny - she'll probably be justifiably angry about the Black Tower going all to hell because Rand's ignored it (and a bunch of sisters got captured and likely bonded by what amount to new Dreadlords). But I think this anger will be expressed in new Egwene fashion, and she won't let it hamper the possibility of an alliance with Rand.

I think the unification of male and female channelers needs to happen soon because I always thought "Under this sign (the ancient Aes Sedai symbol) he will conquer" to mean just that. Egwene will have to be a part of that.

Also Mesaana is Egwene's forsaken to take care of. So, that needs to happen.

I agree 100%.

I agree 100%.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that he already had that sign as a banner when going to wat, alongside the Dragon Banner. I believe he's had both as banners since Caemlyn or even before that.

Yes, he's had that banner a long time. But he did that because that's what he thought of the prophecy. What we're saying is we think the reason for the prophecy mentioning the ancient sign is that it means the male and female channelers need to work together - not just having the banner as a symbol, but having unified channelers in truth.

Archived