DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Hobbit

Krakalakachkn

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An official composite photo of the entire company of dwarves and Thorin Oakshield together from Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" has been released by Warners - in the process giving us a look at more details of Richard Armitage's Thorin costume as the shot used for it is a new one.

HBT-DWF-007.jpg

Meanwhile the latest issue of Empire Magazine has hit the stands and two brief tidbits of information emerged (via The Playlist).

Jackson confirmed “The Hobbit” will be more comical than “The Lord Of The Rings” films - "We are being more humorous than ‘Lord Of The Rings,’ but that is the characters. I’m dealing with a whole bunch of extenuate and forthright dwarves who are not afraid to say what they think. They have a healthy disregard for the icons of Middle Earth".

Jackson also says the dwarves are quite different to what we've seen in the 'Rings' films - “They don’t know what to make of Gandalf, they think Bilbo is a wuss, and Elrond a prissy headmaster type”.

Jackson confirmed “The Hobbit” will be more comical than “The Lord Of The Rings” films - "We are being more humorous than ‘Lord Of The Rings,’ but that is the characters. I’m dealing with a whole bunch of extenuate and forthright dwarves who are not afraid to say what they think. They have a healthy disregard for the icons of Middle Earth".

Jackson also says the dwarves are quite different to what we've seen in the 'Rings' films - “They don’t know what to make of Gandalf, they think Bilbo is a wuss, and Elrond a prissy headmaster type”.

drooling all over that picture here

Also really looking forward to the comedic part of this, iirc The Hobbit was a lot less serious than LotR and would love to see the dwarves messing around with each other.

• 4 months later...

Um, they've been pretty clear on the matter; Wood will be reprising his role as Frodo being told the story by older Bilbo(Ian Holm again). Probably going to function as bookends. Mostly takes place before the Rings films, if I understand it right.

To adapt the Silmarillion he'd have to make up even more stuff than he's making up for The Hobbit; it's more a history lesson than it is a story. I was only able to make it maybe a third of the way in before I had to stop.

what gets me is that people who have never read The Hobbit are gonna expect something like the LoTR movies

I think in scope that's what we're going to get

PJ is going to really broaden the story and include things that happened "offscreen" in the original story

i'd like to see jackson adapt the silmarillion and unfinished tales into films

I wouldn't

they'd translate terribly into movies

it could perhaps be done as a mini series but even then...just doesn't seem feasible really

• 2 weeks later...

I think they'd make great movies--just not for the Transformers generation. They'd have... you know... a story. And things don't explode every 30 seconds... and there might be something deeper to the meaqning behind the story than "girl is hot, want girl".

Besides, do you know how many good movies have been written based off of histories? :tongue: Although I find comparing the Silmarillion to a histry book a bit of a misnomer. Oh it's about history, but it's more along the lines of Beowulf, and other legends from various cultures(See how the Children of Hurin is closely based off of a poem in the Kalevala (sp?). It's closer to a legendarium, that creates a cohesive tale chronologically. If you like the Classics field of study, or mythology, or epic poems, OR greek tragedies, they're all more like tthe Silmarillion than a history book. And all of those have had good movies made of them. :tongue:

But 12th, the thing is that most movies that are based on historical events are based on specific events, specific points in time, or following a single person through their life according to a specific narrative. The Silmarillion covers thousands of years, zooming in for the most important events. This sort of thing can work in a book, but as a film it would come off as extremely unfocused, being mostly just a bunch of stuff that happened. You would have to have the entire film as one of those zoom-in moments. cindy compared it to the Bible, which it basically is for Middle-Earth, both in style and content. People make films about stories in the Bible all the time. They don't make films about the entire Bible. And usually they have to make up everything regarding detail and dialogue anyway because the Bible version of a story is pretty much just the Cliff's Notes.

Archived