DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Hobbit

Krakalakachkn

Dean O’Gorman and Lee Pace have joined while Hugo Weaving is now confirmed to be reprising his 'Rings' trilogy role of Elrond in the upcoming two-part "The Hobbit" film for Warner Bros. Pictures reports The Dominion Post.

Kiwi actor O'Gorman ("Shortland Street," "Xena: Warrior Princess") is stepping in to play Fili the Dwarf, replacing the recently departed Rob Kazinsky who left the film last month for personal reasons.

O'Gorman is currently committed to the TV series "The Almighty Johnsons" and his commitments to "The Hobbit" won't interfere with the shooting schedule of the show's second series.

Meanwhile American film and TV actor Lee Pace ("Pushing Daisies," "Infamous") is set to play the Elvenking Thrandruil.

The character is the father of Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and is something of a minor villain in 'Hobbit' as he imprisons the dwarves at one point, and leads a battle to demand a share of treasure towards the end. The antagonism between the Elves and Dwarves is allowed to flourish under his reign.

Finally, production spokeswoman Melissa Booth confirmed Weaving would return as Elrond in the prequels. Weaving was spotted in Wellington last week grocery shopping which lead to a flurry of reports that he was in town to shoot his role which he hadn't been confirmed for at the time.

I really like the casting of Lee Pace as Thrandruil. A lot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stephen. Goddamn. Fry.

English national treasure Stephen Fry has signed on to play The Master of Laketown in Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" according to the production's Facebook page.

Jackson also announced that Ryan Gage will play Alfrid, and Conan Stevens will play an Orc called Azog in the production. Here's his posting:

"Some more The Hobbit casting news today. As we near the end of our first shooting block (we have a break in less than three weeks to get some editing and visual effects work done, plus prepare for very big scenes coming up), we are looking at characters featuring in sequences that take place a little later in the story.

We are thrilled to confirm that Stephen Fry will be playing The Master of Laketown. I've known Stephen for several years, and we're developing a DAMBUSTERS movie together. In addition to his writing skills, he's a terrific actor and will create a very memorable Master for us.

The Master's conniving civil servant, Alfrid will be played by Ryan Gage. Ryan is a great young actor who we originally cast in a small role, but we liked him so much, we promoted him to the much larger Alfrid part.

Last, and certainly not least, is Conan Stevens, who will be playing an Orc called Azog (Orcs are never called Roger or Dennis for some strange reason). And yes that's his name-Conan! Isn't that cool? Azog is played by Conan! Here's a photo of Conan and I together... I'm pretty tall, probably at least 6'5" or 6'6" I would guess, so that gives you some clue how tall Conan is! You can learn all about him at www.conanstevens.com.

Got a busy day's shooting ahead, so I'm about to jump in the car-but look out for the beginning of the 20 questions answers very soon. Thanks for the questions, many are very insightful. I've been through all of them and have a list ready to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some titles and dates for you guys:

New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures and MGM have issued a press release announcing the titles and release dates for Peter Jackson’s two-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit.”

The first film will be called "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and will be released on December 14th 2012.

The second will be "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" and is slated for release on December 13th 2013.

Both films are set in Middle Earth sixty years before events in “The Lord of the Rings”. Both are being shot consecutively in digital 3D using the latest camera and stereo technology with filming taking place at Stone Street Studios, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.

Jackson has also begun answering fan questions, most notably confirming that both the White Council and Dol Guldur will feature in the movies.

In the books Dol Guldur is where Sauron was based in the years before the War of the Ring. The White Council is a group of wise elders who keep an eye on him from afar and eventually agree to attack Dol Guldur, only for Sauron to flee and settle in Mordor.

Also, casting news

Peter Jackson has confirmed via Facebook that Orlando Bloom is locked to return as Legolas in "The Hobbit". Here's his posting:

"Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas. I'm excited to announce today that we'll be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more. I’m thrilled to be working with Orlando again. Funny thing is, I look older—and he doesn’t! I guess that's why he makes such a wonderful elf."

• 3 weeks later...

A few bits here...

One wonders when Welsh hunk Luke Evans gets time to sleep. The "Tamara Drewe" and "Clash of the Titans" actor has scored the last major role in Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" - Bard the Grim reports Deadline.

In the books, Bard is a skilled archer and the heir of King Girion of Dale after the King was killed by the talking dragon Smaug.

The character plays a greater role in the second film and the role is said to be akin to Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn in the 'Rings' trilogy.

Evans, who came close but just lost out roles in "The Great Gatsby" and "The Bourne Legacy", stars in "Blitz," "Immortals" and "The Three Musketeers" later this year.

He recently completed "Ashes" and "The Raven" both due out next year, is currently shooting "No One Lives", and is attached to both "The Amateur American" and "Only God Forgives".

Meanwhile it has also been confirmed that "Sherlock" star Benedict Cumberbatch is set to voice the dragon Smaug and will be giving a motion capture performance as part of the role. This is the second role he plays in the film, the other being the voice of the Necromancer - the spirit form of Sauron the Dark Lord.

The final bits of casting are being locked down for the currently shooting "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" in New Zealand via Facebook.

Along with word of Luke Evans as Bard the Bowman and Benedict Cumberbatch voicing Smaug the Dragon (and possibly the Necromancer), now director Peter Jackson has given a Facebook update confirming that casting along with two more additions.

On the one hand is "Lost" female lead Evangeline Lily who'll be playing a new character-the Woodland Elf, Tauriel. Jackson says "Her name means 'daughter of Mirkwood' and, beyond that, we must leave you guessing! (No, there is no romantic connection to Legolas)… we are thrilled and excited she will be the one to bring our first true Sylvan Elf to life."

The other addition is Australian national treasure and comic genius Barry Humphries, best known for playing his famous Dame Edna Everage character for much of the last few decades. Humphries will play the Goblin King, a mo-cap performance akin to Andy Serkis as Gollum.

Jackson says "Barry is also a fine actor, and we're looking forward to seeing him invest the Goblin King with the delicate sensitivity and emotional depth this character deserves."

Jackson confirms that they've finished the first block of shooting and have moved straight into location scouting. Lily and Humphries will join the production for the second block of shooting.

Evans and Cumberbatch are expected to head to New Zealand to begin work once they respectively wrap up WWE thriller "No One Lives" in New Orleans and the second season of "Sherlock" in the UK.

Dame Edna as the Goblin King? That's nuts. Also, Cumberbatch means we've got Watson and Holmes now.

• 2 weeks later...

Comingsoon.net got an image of Dori, Nori, and Ori. Your guess is as good as mine as to which is which. I don't know what to think about tripod-head over on the left, though. Didn't I see him in a Zelda game?

hobbit.jpg

Continuing on apace with Fili and Kili. I kind of like how, having established a visual aesthetic for dwarves in the trilogy, they're now playing around with it, pushing it in all sorts of different directions. I'm kind of torn on the fact that Aidan Turner doesn't have much of a beard here - I suppose making him look like Gimli would have spoiled the point of having someone with his sex appeal involved. Also I suppose this means that the next release will be either Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur, or Balin and Dwalin, saving Thorin for last.

filikili.jpg

Relatively speaking. But Tolkien mentioned one of them having to chop off quite a lot of his beard due to it being full of spiderweb. Anyway given that both of them were described as having yellow hair, I think PJ is more concerned here with every dwarf having a distinct look than with perfect fidelity. What's amusing, though, is that Ori up there in the center of the first pic looks more or less like he did in the Rankin-Bass version from '77, down to the weird double tail beard thing he's got going on.

Archived