DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Hobbit

Krakalakachkn

I'm not all that excited for the second one. Lord of the Rings had that dark, mysterious nature, one that I naturally associated with The Hobbit when it was first announced. While I think that the Hobbit movie extremely accurately portrays the book atmosphere and tells it as it is - a kid's story really - it's not what I was hoping to see. Can't fault them but can't really say I'm too impressed either. I'll watch it for lulz.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not all that excited for the second one. Lord of the Rings had that dark, mysterious nature, one that I naturally associated with The Hobbit when it was first announced. While I think that the Hobbit movie extremely accurately portrays the book atmosphere and tells it as it is - a kid's story really - it's not what I was hoping to see. Can't fault them but can't really say I'm too impressed either. I'll watch it for lulz.

Its not just that it is a "kids story" that changes the atmosphere.  The Lord of the Rings is dark because of the motivation, "kill the ring with fire or we all die" kind of thing.  The Hobbit is a quest for gold and glory, which lightens the mood.  Instead of just going on living, they are dreaming of riches and fame.  They expect an easy life full of fun after the quest.  You dont go into that kind of thing with dread and despair.  Its an adventure.

Its not just that it is a "kids story" that changes the atmosphere.  The Lord of the Rings is dark because of the motivation, "kill the ring with fire or we all die" kind of thing.  The Hobbit is a quest for gold and glory, which lightens the mood.  Instead of just going on living, they are dreaming of riches and fame.  They expect an easy life full of fun after the quest.  You dont go into that kind of thing with dread and despair.  Its an adventure.

Great point. 

Archived