DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

And I'll toss this in here from another thread, since it belongs here more:

@ Sutt; Concerning the BT, how long have they been around? (Talking about your RJ experimenting with the bond knowing more than AS quote). They've gotten a lot of new weaves for only being around for a year or so (or are my numbers off in my head)

Yeah around a year is correct I believe. We know the bonding weave they expermineted on widely per RJ. In addition there method of training would seem to have a much higher casualty rate but also lead to more discoveries. Then there is also Taim and his special classes. Who knows how many attack weaves and what not came straight from the Forsaken.

I see no reason to believe that the 'new fog-thingy' is not Mashadar.

Reading ToM (or, actually, the sample material), that was my initial thought as well. I'm under the impression I've since read a quote of Brandon's saying it isn't, but as it turns out I can't find anything of the sort.

Might be remembering this quote?

INTERVIEW: 2010

Twitter 2009-2010 (WoT) (Verbatim)

BENJAMIN MOLDOVAN

Mashadar is gone, isn't it? Would it really hurt to say whether the True Power would be affected?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Have we ever confirmed that Mashadar is dead? :)

I agree with Terez, Mashadar isn't a sentient being from Shadar Logoth, it is the result of Mordeth's power. Mordeth himself was the power that destroyed Aridhol. (and why he still "lived" in the ruins)

Fain = Mordeth, one would assume that he would be able to use Mordeth's power, Mashadar. Or at least capable of producing the crazy fog, which came to be known as Mashadar.

@ Sutt; Concerning the BT, how long have they been around? (Talking about your RJ experimenting with the bond knowing more than AS quote). They've gotten a lot of new weaves for only being around for a year or so (or are my numbers off in my head)

Yeah around a year is correct I believe. We know the bonding weave they expermineted on widely per RJ. In addition there method of training would seem to have a much higher casualty rate but also lead to more discoveries. Then there is also Taim and his special classes. Who knows how many attack weaves and what not came straight from the Forsaken.

Thanks sir.

It just seems like it points out how much more the WT really sucks. Those men can discover soooooo much just be experimenting in a year's time. Kinda crazy! I'd kill for a good chapter about the BT and it's inner workings. They can't just know battle weaves (Aside from healing). I mean they're building stuff too.

Edited by Vardarmus

I see no reason to believe that the 'new fog-thingy' is not Mashadar.

Reading ToM (or, actually, the sample material), that was my initial thought as well. I'm under the impression I've since read a quote of Brandon's saying it isn't, but as it turns out I can't find anything of the sort.

The only other comment I can think of that's relevant is (edit: the pre-TOM quote already posted above).

Edited by Terez

It just seems like it points out how much more the WT really sucks. Those men can discover soooooo much just be experimenting in a year's time. Kinda crazy! I'd kill for a good chapter about the BT and it's inner workings. They can't just know battle weaves (Aside from healing). I mean they're building stuff too.

Well yeah, but most of that can be attributed to the men thinking they were weapons and would die soon anyway. They are forced and have zero caution in their approach. I don't think a high casualty rate and significant loss of life is worth the discoveries. Not to mention who knows how much knowledge came straight from the AoL. The WT due to decreased numbers views any loss as a dire result. They are far more cautious and in truth there is likely a middle ground between the two which would be the way to go. Regardless with all the new discoveries from the wonder girls and men likely to joing with the women moving forward this should change.

On the plus side for Ashaman since they don't have to deal with WT norms/custom holding them back, things like bonding which aren't really openly discussed would seem to be areas in which they would grow quickly through trying new things.

Edited by Suttree

Well yeah, but most of that can be attributed to the men thinking they were weapons and would die soon anyway. They are forced and have zero caution in their approach. I don't think a high casualty rate and significant loss of life is worth the discoveries. Not to mention who knows how much knowledge came straight from the AoL. The WT due to decreased numbers views any loss as a dire result. They are far more cautious and in truth there is likely a middle ground between the two which would be the way to go. Regardless with all the new discoveries from the wonder girls and men likely to joing with the women moving forward this should change.

On the plus side for Ashaman since they don't have to deal with WT norms/custom holding them back, things like bonding which aren't really openly discussed would seem to be areas in which they would grow quickly through trying new things.

Yea a middle ground would be best. I wonder if men will ever have equal footing

That being said, something Fel said started to bother me...

If there's a bore drilled in every turning of the wheel,. and man can't fix the DOs prison as well as it was orginally made, does that mean everytime they drill thru the bore they drill through the patch?

And if the Patch is the weak spot, as it is not creator made and allows the DO to touch the world, why was there violence and such in the world before they drilled back thru the original patch in AOL, and if they drilled thru that patch, when Lews resealed it, why didn't evil thoughts go away again?

If there's a bore drilled in every turning of the wheel,. and man can't fix the DOs prison as well as it was orginally made, does that mean everytime they drill thru the bore they drill through the patch?

Fel has a real argument for why they didn't drill through a patch in the AoL; it would mean that the Creator originally created the prison with a hole in it, and a patch over it.

His argument for how Rand can't fully repair it isn't very good; he just appeals to quasi-religious sentiment, in humility before the Creator. He could just as well say "The Creator made humans. Therefore, humans can't have children." Or have an argument that humans can't channel, can't boil a pot of water, whatever. Besides, Fel's argument is outright fallacious because he concludes only the Creator can fix the prison, but we know 1) the prison gets fixed at least once every time through the Ages, and 2) the Creator doesn't interfere. So Fel is wrong, somewhere.

And if the Patch is the weak spot, as it is not creator made and allows the DO to touch the world, why was there violence and such in the world before they drilled back thru the original patch in AOL, and if they drilled thru that patch, when Lews resealed it, why didn't evil thoughts go away again?

We don't know that the Creator likes peace and happiness, only that he likes making worlds, and is opposed to the Dark One destroying them all. He may feel that because he has to struggle against the Dark One, there's nothing amiss in creating worlds where his creations also have to struggle.

Thanks sir.

That would be accurate in describing WT-bound AS "loyalists." The rebel Aes Sedai on the other hand have a very impressive list of discoveries, mainly thanks to Nynaeve, Elayne, Egwene, and Moghedien. So, discoveries in healing, masking the power, making cuendillar, Traveling, making ter'angreal, etc ... are AS rediscoveries.

Thanks sir.

That would be accurate in describing WT-bound AS "loyalists." The rebel Aes Sedai on the other hand have a very impressive list of discoveries, mainly thanks to Nynaeve, Elayne, Egwene, and Moghedien. So, discoveries in healing, masking the power, making cuendillar, Traveling, making ter'angreal, etc ... are AS rediscoveries.

Yeah, remember a lot of this has to do with the wheel. So, humanity has been in a descent. That means they'll lose knowledge and power. If they win now, my guess is that they start ascending again.

If siuan heard chesmal emry lie that means shes black ajah why didnt she tell the wonder girls to have a bigger look at her in the tower or done any sort of investigation when she became amyrlin. They take alot in later books about how hard it is to mention black ajah but they were getting mentioned and proven 20 years ago.

If siuan heard chesmal emry lie that means shes black ajah why didnt she tell the wonder girls to have a bigger look at her in the tower or done any sort of investigation when she became amyrlin. They take alot in later books about how hard it is to mention black ajah but they were getting mentioned and proven 20 years ago.

She didn't connect the lie--as far as she knew, Chesmal simply reported the news. That being said it would appear Sierin Vayu made the connection based on the note Siuan slipped under her door--or at least asked enough questions to scare Chesmal--as Chesmal then incited the Red Ajah into killing her.

You can create gateways inside the dreamspike, as long as they dont leave the sphere of influence of said dreamspike, anyway.

EDIT: How would this affect deathgates? If they can be used inside the dreamspike's influence, what happens when they hit the edge?

Edited by Knivy

ToM 34:

“I think someone’s setting a trap for us,” Perrin said softly. “Boxing us in. I’ve sent some others out to look for the thing causing this; it’s probably some kind of object of the One Power.” He worried that it might be hidden in the wolf dream. Could something there produce an effect in the real world? “Now, you’re sure you can’t create gateways at all? Not even to other points nearby, inside the affected area?”

Neald shook his head.

The rules are different on this side, then, Perrin thought. Or, at least, it works differently on Traveling than it does on shifting in the wolf dream. “Neald, you said with the larger gateways— using a circle—you could move the entire army through in a few hours?”

When did the dreamspike happen? I thought It was in ToM (one of the few i own) and I couldnt find it.

Pevara gives us the first marker for its activation, in ToM53. The timing of ToM events is very murky, but that was "weeks" after they arrived there (which we can pinpoint with greater certainty, at about 75 days prior to FoM). Nynaeve's visit to Myrelle was estimated at about 23 days prior to FoM, but that needn't directly reflect on your question. The table I work with put Pevara's discovery at 22 days prior to FoM, but as I said that's a rough estimate.

is it implied that meilyn killed larelle? or could she still be alive just not used again?

Merean Redhill, do you mean? Yes, that would be my guess, but we don't know for sure. Either way, as you say, Larelle hasn't turned out anywhere since.

are there any theories on who the man was that visited moiraine in tower of geng?

He could only be looking for Lanfear, narrowing down potential suspects. I think some believe him to be Moridin, but here too I can't offer any definitive proof.