DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Tuon's PoV - the DR would kneel to the CT and then, at TG, he would be sent to fight the GLoD.

Suggests that the Seanchan prophesies (*both the corrupted karatheon and the essanik) do indeed have specific instructions about the DR and his subservience to the Seanchan.

The Corenne / Hailene was driven by prophesy and while it''s never been made clear whether it predicts complete Seanchan dominance of Hawkwing's former empire, the prophesies probably tells them that they have to have a bash at it..

About certainty: The Seanchan have a strong belief in omens and prophesy. We've seen the gambles Tuon's taken on that basis (deliberately being kidnapped and then marrying an adventurer she doesn't know). So if the prophesies say something they'll try to fulfil them to the letter.

I see, thanks. The just seemed so assured about The Return I thought there was something I missed.

The only issue with Rand kneeling would be that it might undermine his authority as commander in chief at TG. But then I don't know, perhaps if he wont take part in the actual battle(s) he wont need to be in charge necessarily. I wonder what the implications would be for the Randland armies. Would they be subjected to the Seanchan and Tuon, or would they simply remain distinct charges, under different commands?

I think you're right. I don't think the Randlandiers will necessarily follow Rand throughout the entire battle. And, even if they did, there's so many of them there has to be different commanders ordering this group or that group. Rand's battle is with the DO and all or some of the remaining forsaken. That's what I think.

I don't think they'll be subject to the Seanchan. I think, at the least, the Seanchan will promise not to war with the other nations until the Final Battle is over. It could be more than that, what do I know? We're all just guessing. But, I think there are too many people, and still many not sworn to the Dragon, for Rand to speak for all.

In TFoh, "To Caemlyn" it's stated that "Faolain had been tested and raised" without the Oath Rod making her "not quite" Aes Sedai. But there's no mention of the ter'angreal that Aes Sedai enter that places them in situations of stress. How could she have been properly tested without that ter'angreal? I get the funny image of a bunch of Aes Sedai standing around flicking her and making exploding noises while she performs the weaves...

When an AS has more than one Warder, are the Warders aware of each other as she is of them?

I'm thinking of someone like Alanna, who had two Warders before she Bonded Rand - Ihvon and Owein. Owein was killed by WCs in TSR31; I'm wondering if Ihvon felt that.

But I'm really wondering about Rand's three in that triple Bond. Is any of them aware of the other two? And are any of them aware of Alanna?

None of the bonders or bondees are aware of each other, though Elayne and Aviendha do have an awareness of each other due to the sister bond. I gather it's much weaker than the Warder bond in that sense. Alanna cannot feel the harem like she feels Rand (she thinks only one other woman bonded him), but she did pass out when he was bonded by the harem. (She did not know why until he told her in Far Madding.)

None of the bonders or bondees are aware of each other, though Elayne and Aviendha do have an awareness of each other due to the sister bond. I gather it's much weaker than the Warder bond in that sense. Alanna cannot feel the harem like she feels Rand (she thinks only one other woman bonded him), but she did pass out when he was bonded by the harem. (She did not know why until he told her in Far Madding.)

Correct.

They're not aware of each other, but she can feel that someone else is there. Didn't she describe it as she has less room in his head or something.

When an AS has more than one Warder, are the Warders aware of each other as she is of them?

I'm thinking of someone like Alanna, who had two Warders before she Bonded Rand - Ihvon and Owein. Owein was killed by WCs in TSR31; I'm wondering if Ihvon felt that.

But I'm really wondering about Rand's three in that triple Bond. Is any of them aware of the other two? And are any of them aware of Alanna?

Ihvon would have felt Alanna's pain and suffering when she lost Owein. Bascially, the surviving warder would know that something traumatic happened, but he/she wouldn't know the specifics of it.

Correct.

lol.

They're not aware of each other, but she can feel that someone else is there. Didn't she describe it as she has less room in his head or something.

No, Rand described it that way.

Correct.

lol.

Didn't Allana as well? She knew someone else had bonded him.

And why lol?

Correct.

lol.

And why lol?

It was pretty funny. Not often you see someone confiriming Terez as being correct in regards to her WoT knowledge. :wink:

Correct.

lol.

And why lol?

It was pretty funny. Not often you see someone confiriming Terez as being correct in regards to her WoT knowledge. :wink:

Oh. Umm, ok.

I just read my statement without and felt that it came off as rude without adding something before it, hence I said, correct then my statement.

I don't think it was just that you conceded the point, per se. Doing it in this fashion, by simply saying "correct", comes off as if her claims require your approval (and would have regardless of Terez's specific -- and well-earned -- reputation in this matter). If you'd have written something more along the lines of "Oh, that's right" or "Thanks" or even "Point conceded", I doubt you would've received the same reaction.

BTW I don't believe anyone's reputation should deter contradiction, if you believe yourself in the right (unless it's me; you should never contradict ME!). I would, however, advise everyone to look at the books and attempts for quotes whenever your assertions are put to question. It's simply the best way to settle disputes.

To the matter at hand, no, I believe you're mistaken. As Terez mentioned, Alanna wasn't even aware of the reason she lost consciousness in Cairhien.

I don't think it was just that you conceded the point, per se. Doing it in this fashion, by simply saying "correct", comes off as if her claims require your approval (and would have regardless of Terez's specific -- and well-earned -- reputation in this matter). If you'd have written something more along the lines of "Oh, that's right" or "Thanks" or even "Point conceded", I doubt you would've received the same reaction.

BTW I don't believe anyone's reputation should deter contradiction, if you believe yourself in the right (unless it's me; you should never contradict ME!). I would, however, advise everyone to look at the books and attempts for quotes whenever your assertions are put to question. It's simply the best way to settle disputes.

To the matter at hand, no, I believe you're mistaken. As Terez mentioned, Alanna wasn't even aware of the reason she lost consciousness in Cairhien.

I can see it that way I suppose.

I'll have to do a check to make sure, I have no issue admitting I may be mistaken. I may have inferred that she knew what happened from the text, and her "What did you do" was more of a What are you doing, than a question of what he actually did.

Ihvon would have felt Alanna's pain and suffering when she lost Owein. Bascially, the surviving warder would know that something traumatic happened, but he/she wouldn't know the specifics of it.

He would, but I wondered if he felt it directly. Apparently not.

There is no indication that other warders feel each other. Rand doesn't have any connection with Birgitte. Min doesn't have any connection with Elayne or Aviendha. It is just between the two people who are bonded.

In regards to Alanna fainting, she fainted because of the changes in Rand's mind. She felt Rand being bonded, 3 other minds invading her space. It was all through Rand that she felt it. As she says, she didn't know what had actually happened, only that something went down with Rand's head.

There is no indication that other warders feel each other. Rand doesn't have any connection with Birgitte. Min doesn't have any connection with Elayne or Aviendha. It is just between the two people who are bonded.

In regards to Alanna fainting, she fainted because of the changes in Rand's mind. She felt Rand being bonded, 3 other minds invading her space. It was all through Rand that she felt it. As she says, she didn't know what had actually happened, only that something went down with Rand's head.

So you read it in that way too?

I have a question:

In the Hunt for the Horn, Rand walks into the house and the whole "Blink...blink...blink" thing happens where he see the family who lived there get attacked by Fain's Trollocs and ends up covered in flies. How'd the blink thing happen when he wasn't by a portal stone?

I have a question:

In the Hunt for the Horn, Rand walks into the house and the whole "Blink...blink...blink" thing happens where he see the family who lived there get attacked by Fain's Trollocs and ends up covered in flies. How'd the blink thing happen when he wasn't by a portal stone?

It was a "time trap" set up by Fain.

I have a question:

Ah! Thank you, Suttree. How do you know that? I don't remember seeing that in the book.

We might as well look at the paragraph:

Alanna drew a deep breath, and a moment passed before she replied. "I am not sure Cadsuane cares two pins about you," she snapped. "I keep that oath as well as I can, but you do make keeping it hard." Her voice began to harden, and anger welled more strongly through the bond. "I owe fealty to a man who walks off and leaves me behind. Just how am I supposed to serve you? More importantly, what did you do?" Crossing the carpet, she stood staring up at him, fury burning in her eyes. He topped her by more than a foot, and she seemed not to notice. "You did something, I know. I was unconscious for three days! What did you do?"

"I decided if I was going to be bonded, it might as well be by someone I said could." He barely caught her hand before it landed on his face. "I've been slapped enough for one day."

She glared up at him, teeth bared as if ready to bite out his throat. The bond carried only fury and outrage, now, distilled to daggers. "You let someone else bond you?" she snarled. "How dare you! Whoever she is, I'll see her before a court! I'll see her birched! You are mine!"

"Because you took me, Alanna," he said coldly.

I don't think there's anything unclear about her not knowing what it was Rand did. See the emotional reaction to learning the particulars, for example.

EDIT:

Ah! Thank you, Suttree. How do you know that? I don't remember seeing that in the book.

No, that's not from the books, though in WH we see another example of Fain's talents with similar effects. RJ once mentioned it in one of his book-signings.

Edited by yoniy0

I have a question:

I thought it was a bubble of evil?

What's a time trap.

Just saw the quote. Umm, ok odd. Wonder if that'll come back later. Fain can control time?

Edited by Vardarmus

Alanna drew a deep breath, and a moment passed before she replied. "I am not sure Cadsuane cares two pins about you," she snapped. "I keep that oath as well as I can, but you do make keeping it hard." Her voice began to harden, and anger welled more strongly through the bond. "I owe fealty to a man who walks off and leaves me behind. Just how am I supposed to serve you? More importantly, what did you do?" Crossing the carpet, she stood staring up at him, fury burning in her eyes. He topped her by more than a foot, and she seemed not to notice. "You did something, I know. I was unconscious for three days! What did you do?"

"I decided if I was going to be bonded, it might as well be by someone I said could." He barely caught her hand before it landed on his face. "I've been slapped enough for one day."

She glared up at him, teeth bared as if ready to bite out his throat. The bond carried only fury and outrage, now, distilled to daggers. "You let someone else bond you?" she snarled. "How dare you! Whoever she is, I'll see her before a court! I'll see her birched! You are mine!"

I don't think there's anything unclear about her not knowing what it was Rand did. See the emotional reaction to learning the particulars, for example.

EDIT:

No, that's not from the books, though in WH we see another example of Fain's talents with similar effects. RJ once mentioned it in one of his book-signings.

Thanks for that and the chapter title. I'm rereading now.

EDIT:

Thanks. I thought I had missed something. ;)

I have a question:

I thought it was a bubble of evil?

What's a time trap.

Just saw the quote. Umm, ok odd. Wonder if that'll come back later. Fain can control time?

No, not really. At this point (and for a long time after) Fain can't really control his powers very well at all. He doesn't even understand them. The trap seems to have been mostly an illusion (if a deadly one), but it's not really clear what was going on there. I wouldn't take the words from the signing report too literally, either; people have been known to give very different accounts of the same questions and answers. The important thing is, Fain did it.

PS—As for thinking it was a bubble of evil, that's kind of funny because there was a bubble of evil in ACOS that most people thought was something Fain did. (The one in the rebels' camp in Cairhien, with the crazy fog.)

Edited by Terez