DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Doing a re-read through the series and, as of CoT, I cannot remember what the Ajah Heads in the WT are "planning" with having the too young women in the hall. Anyone able to refresh me if it is revealed?

Read this: The Too-Young Sitter Conspiracy It's from my FAQ and Theory list which is stuck at the top of the board.

I read that. and to be honest I still don't understand it lol.

The Ajah Heads conspired to reunite the Tower under their control. Since two capable Halls is a sure recipe for trouble, they made sure that only 21 members of both Halls will be what one would normally consider fit for being a Sitter. That way, they could merge the two Halls back together without much fuss.

I actually think that plot wasn't too obscured for us to guess at, though I admit I had no idea who was pulling the strings.

The Ajah Heads conspired to reunite the Tower under their control. Since two capable Halls is a sure recipe for trouble, they made sure that only 21 members of both Halls will be what one would normally consider fit for being a Sitter. That way, they could merge the two Halls back together without much fuss.

I actually think that plot wasn't too obscured for us to guess at, though I admit I had no idea who was pulling the strings.

How did they ensure that?

Basically, what the Ajah heads tried to do was put younger, more amendable Sisters in the Hall that they could control.

Their ultimate goal (as was completely revealed in tGS chaptr 43) was to control everything from the background. Sounds sinister and all but not only was it not the first time such a thing was attempted, it wouldn't of been the first time it was accomplished either.

The old "The ends justify the means" conundrum as their reasons were indeed for the good of the Tower as they saw it.

In KoD when Galina(posing as Alyse) was brought to Perrins tent everyone in the tent experienced a rippling or something like that, I cant remember the exact phrase, saying it felt like the world rippled,shook, whatever. But it wasnt explained. Anyone have any idea what this was?

In KoD when Galina(posing as Alyse) was brought to Perrins tent everyone in the tent experienced a rippling or something like that, I cant remember the exact phrase, saying it felt like the world rippled,shook, whatever. But it wasnt explained. Anyone have any idea what this was?

It was the pattern being destabilized. It's probably the DO's increasing influence on the world which is the cause.

Thats it? I was hoping for something actually happening that I might have missed. Oh well, thanks for the answer though in any case.

Well, it also could have been a balescream (or 3 actually) like when Rand balefired Graendal's entire palace in tGS. However I don't see what anyone would be balefiring around there. Or why there would be 3 balescreams. So yeah, I think it's probably just the DO's influence.

Perrin's storyline was months behind everybody else's. I checked the section (Prologue?) and I don't see anything like you describe. Can you include a quote? Or was it a 2nd visit to Perrin's tent? The main events that everybody in the world felt were the cleansing of Saidin and using the Bowl of Winds.

edit: Found it, it was at Meira's tent, ch. 5 "Something...Strange."

Hmm, I don't see any timeline clues. The only clue I see is "(Faile) only felt as though she were turning into mist."

Considering the other timelines, I would have to guess that it's a localized Bubble of Evil that passed through the camp. The only reference I can think of that is similar is the bubble that caused everything and everyone to turn into dust.

Edited by Toy'varen

Perrin's storyline was months behind everybody else's. I checked the section (Prologue?) and I don't see anything like you describe. Can you include a quote? Or was it a 2nd visit to Perrin's tent? The main events that everybody in the world felt were the cleansing of Saidin and using the Bowl of Winds.

edit: Found it, it was at Meira's tent, ch. 5 "Something...Strange."

Hmm, I don't see any timeline clues. The only clue I see is "(Faile) only felt as though she were turning into mist."

Considering the other timelines, I would have to guess that it's a localized Bubble of Evil that passed through the camp. The only reference I can think of that is similar is the bubble that caused everything and everyone to turn into dust.

It doesn't happen in the tent, or the prologue. I believed it happened when Perrin was meeting with the Senchan the first time, as well as when Faile was in the shaido camp at some point. It's quite a while after the Cleansing.

Edited by Master Ablar

Is it not really funny when Mat makes up backgroundstories for everyone who is gonna go into the village where Verin is in TGS?=)

I personally laughed my rear off and re-read that scene a couple of times just to fully appreciate it.

There are those who consider that one of the more egregious examples of Brandon Sanderson changing Mat's character. *shrug* Sue me, I loved it.

While nobody knows for certain, IMO, most likely it was a balescream. The description is quite distinctive and pretty similar to the description of the balescream after Rand balenuked Natrin's Barrow. Also, there is another instance of such rippling that Faile feels (KoD, Ch 5). That one occurs at a different time from Perrin's (his is at night and hers is early in the morning) so it's a separate event. Both occur in the same geographical area and nothing like this is ever mentioned as happening anywhere else. The best theory on the subject that I've seen is that it's Demandred balefiring something in the same general location. he was tasked by the DO to unleash balefire in LoC prologue. He likely complied as he was never punished that we know of and he surely would have if he didn't.

Not sure if this can be answered, but maybe there was an interview...

How rare are damane?

I remember reading somewhere that 3% of the population can channel (male and female) if male and female channelers are allowed to breed. If male channelers are killed childless, this number drops to 1%. Also, it's known that there's always more sul'dam than damane, but we know that sul'dam can be trained to channel. Therefore, it is at least a 60/40 split, or .4% of the population in Seanchan. Also, we know that for AS, the Oath Rod halves their life expectancy, so damane live longer. However, Kin, Windfinders, and Wise ones also do not use the Oath Rod, and they outnumber AS. But as a general rule, for say every 10 female channelers in randland, what would be the raito of damane?

Sue me, I loved it.

You've been served.

I certainly did not like it. To each his own, I guess.

I remember a min quote. "all that he is can be seized" in relation to callandor

could someone say the full quote I think it means the dragon soul could be seized by the DO during the final battle

"Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized."

Is it not really funny when Mat makes up backgroundstories for everyone who is gonna go into the village where Verin is in TGS?=)

I personally laughed my rear off and re-read that scene a couple of times just to fully appreciate it.

There are those who consider that one of the more egregious examples of Brandon Sanderson changing Mat's character. *shrug* Sue me, I loved it.

It was hilarious.

Their armor level seems hundreds of years behind their weapons tech too. Now that cannons are invented, it seems weapons jumped another 300 years ahead, and they still don't use plate mail armor.

A table, one chest, and a few chairs were the only furnishings except for two racks on the wall, and they

caught Rand's eye as much as the tapestry. One held a two-handed sword, taller than a man, a more ordinary

broadsword, and below them a studded mace and a long, kite-shaped shield bearing three foxes. From the other

hung a suit of armor, complete and arranged as one would wear it. Crested helmet with its barred face-guard

over a double-mail camail. Mail hauberk, split for riding, and leather undercoat, polished from wear.

Breastplate, steel gauntlets, knee and elbow cops, and half-plate for shoulders and arms and legs. Even here in

the heart of the Keep, weapons and armor seemed ready to be donned at any moment. Like the furniture, they

were simply and severely decorated with gold.

Who killed Barthanes, the gholam? And why? Surely he was still useful to darkfriends as powerful as he was..

Yes the gholam, and because he helped Fain.

That was actually never confirmed, that I'm aware. It's certainly a reasonable assumption, though.

Really? I always thought Barthanes was killed by Thom.

I've been thinking a lot about it. I'm in the middle of Aviendha's trip into the future. If it was hard for the Aiel to accept their past (many who go to Rhuidean never return) it must be nearly impossible to see their future and survive.

Is that the reason that no wise one can go through the Pillars twice? Back when they were figuring out what the Pillars were for, they sent someone in. They came back and told the story. The wise ones decided it would be a good test to become a wise one. They sent her back to find out more... she never returned. Could it be that Avi didn't actually change a thing with the Pillars? They have always shown you the past the first time, and the future the second time. It's just that Avi was the first person strong enough to cope with the second trip.

Yes, I think you're right. I re-read this scene recently and there's no line which could be interpreted as Aviendha doing something to change how the ter'angreal works. It seems to me either that no-one survived a second trip or that a decision was made not to allow a second trip.

That sequence was probably the most depressing part of the whole series.

He knows the anti-sweating trick. Where did he learn that?! and he also knows how to test for the channeling ability. The process is quite tricky and time consuming and hardly intuitive. How could he possibly figure it out by himself?

Just because you can't imagine how to work things out doesn't mean Taim is a darkfriend. Someone had to work those things out first anyway, why is it so hard to believe someone else could work them out too?

Really? I always thought Barthanes was killed by Thom.

Thom killed Galldrian when he learned that it was his people, not Barthanes's, that murdered Dena.

EDIT: which reminds me. How did Elayne learn of that? To my knowledge, none of the main characters ever found out in TGH, and later all they could do was speculate (and none other than Moiraine would have, I thought).