DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big (Currently) Unoticed Thing In Books 4-6 (Mistborn Spoilers)

Luckers

Regarding Jong's post, HAS it ever been figured out how Mat was hung on the tree?

IIRC, RJ said the Finns have no power outside their own realm.

Their powers don't work, but they can walk out and walk back in.

The list of ruled out stuff was deemed invalid by BS
Was it? When? Do you have a quote?

Ch 28 in TSR seems to occur while Rand and Mat are in Ruhiean. We never find out how Mat ends up hanging there. Perhaps Slayer was summoned by the finns to take care of the body and thats how Mat ends up hanging there with the spear.
The Eelfinn did it themselves.

Week 1 Question: Are the Eelfinn limited in their power to grant wishes? To what degree can they affect the outside world? Also, is there any relation between what the Aelfinn do and Min's ability?

Robert Jordan Answers: Oh, yes, there definitely are limits to the powers of the Eelfinn. For one thing, they cannot affect the outside world at all.

I'm aware of that quote. He's talking about their powers. They can walk. I believe we are told they did it in KoD.

When Elayne undid her gateway and caused the explosion there was some immediate talk about the power working oddly in the area. Following this I seem to remember a number of comments in later books about the power not working as well as it should, wards failing that seem to be fine. Might this track back to this moment and not the DO as is assumed?
Firstly, that happened in PoD, so too late. Secondly, this was caused by overusing the Bowl - Elayne has a problem when she weaves the Gateway, it affects saidin as well, the worst of the effect is found around Ebou Dar, and this effect faded. So neither the Bowl nor the Gateway can be held responsible for what's going on, and this cannot be the unnoticed thing.

many theories have been discounted because apparently they were already discussed on the forums and BS didnt see this'big' thing on any of the forums

How exactly do we know how much of the forums BS has read, discounting theories like this is foolish

I like the Mat hat thing but i doubt it

Firstly, in answer to your username, sort of. As to your point, we don't know how much BS has read, but apparently he has read some. Anything that receives heavy discussion is unlikely, although not impossible. Anything mentioned too early or too late can be ruled out for a certainty. Also, it's supposed to be something that we picked up on when it appeared. Mat's hat doesn't fit the bill, as we picked up on him having a hat, the Odin link, but still have no reason to look any deeper.

What would happen if Fain stabbed Shaidar Haran?
Unknown if it would even be possible.

Mr Ares, the only thing I can take from that is that you couldnt have read my post.
What you should have taken from it is that I read it, and it doesn't work.Yes true basic workings of the power are talked about in the first book. BUT the meat of my post was about concepts about the power that first appeared in book 3 or 4 with dozens of mentions later.But the workings of the Power were introduced too early. In no way does it work. It has to be something introduced in 4-6, that's something that was developed in those books but present before. It's also something that is not yet relevant, and that hasn't been discussed. Good thought, but it doesn't work. And hell, at least people have noticed your theory. No-one's mentioned mine since I shot it down in the same post I raised it.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing which happened in book 4 was that Rand rammed Callandor into the Stone. He put traps around it. In book 6, he inverts the weaves. Then when Narishma pulled it out, he complained that there were more traps than what Rand told him (happens in book 8 ). Could that be it?

Sammael embellished the weaves. The Callandor factor started in Book 3 by the way.

Any evidence for that?

Yes, the Callandor storyline started i book 3, but that's like saying it can't be anything with Rand/Matt/Perrin/Egwene/Nynaeve/Moiraine etc. because we see them in book 1.

Quote from: analyticalkeys on November 21, 2009, 11:28:53 AM

The list of ruled out stuff was deemed invalid by BS

Was it? When? Do you have a quote?

Let me answer this with the same tone as 99&99/100ths % of Mr. Ares posts/statements/proclamations.

"I Told You .." in post #1 Sanderson makes perfectly clear he is NOT going to give any yes or no, up or down indication to any of these theories. So it is perfectly apparent that his assistant (Buford or whatever his name is) is playing people. It's unlikely he'd do the exact opposite of his boss's expressed desire NOT to help people with this question.

Now does this mean the list of stuff that "ain't so" cannot be valid? No it does not. But I'M ignoring it, if simply because it aggravates some people. "That's my job and I's stickin' to it." Ask Kivam, I got a certificate! 8)

*Pardon me, 'Scuse me, but this habit, consciously or not, of coming off like yours is the only valid whatever is incredibly annoying if not rude. ALL of this is pure speculation unless and until BS at some point replies.."Bingo, random crackpot name, hit the nail on the head. Congratulations! You win the Poirot Prize" Or until it's clearly expressed in whatever volume the answer to this quandary and dozens of others become clear. Unless like the Graendal ain't dead debacle, knotheads ;), refuse to acknowledge the answer and carry on like Flat Earthers who ride a spheroid satellite of a star.

One thing which happened in book 4 was that Rand rammed Callandor into the Stone. He put traps around it. In book 6, he inverts the weaves. Then when Narishma pulled it out, he complained that there were more traps than what Rand told him (happens in book 8 ). Could that be it?

Sammael embellished the weaves. The Callandor factor started in Book 3 by the way.

Any evidence for that?

Yes, the Callandor storyline started i book 3, but that's like saying it can't be anything with Rand/Matt/Perrin/Egwene/Nynaeve/Moiraine etc. because we see them in book 1.

Yes, I think it's there in CoS. 

Any evidence for that?

Yes, I think it's there in CoS. 

No, it's not. We have no idea what happened with the weaves, and it's still debated a bit today. A lot of people like to think that since Rand altered them in T'A'R, that nothing happened to them in the real world, but we don't know.

1.  is there any way to force a poster to first read the list of stricken topics before posting?  i think we should be allowed to post an idea even if it appears on the list because BS' assistant may be playing us, but people should at least read the list first.

2.  At some point in the series, i recall getting a feeling that the "wind" that starts out each book starts to change somewhat in quality and with greater effect in each book.  any thoughts?

3.    what about how, where and why rand hid the seals? 

4.    also, i want to address how we treat how we interpret the nature of the hint that the "thing/event/whatever" is first mentioned somewhere in 4-6.  I think we should keep an opened mind that the way the hint is given does not exclude the possibility that the new "thing" or "event" may involves something that previously appears, yet whatever happens/is mentioned in 4-6 reveals something new, or a change, or something wrong, or that something was used to do something, etc.

therefore, i dont think something should be excluded just because it involves something previously mentioned--on condition that it is mentioned in some sort of new light in 4-6

1.   is there any way to force a poster to first read the list of stricken topics before posting?  i think we should be allowed to post an idea even if it appears on the list because BS' assistant may be playing us, but people should at least read the list first.

Except the list itself has been stricken.. I'm not going through all 30 pages to find the quote, but at some point BS said that everything was still game, and his assistant shouldn't have said what he did. Take that as you will.

what do you think about my other thoughts:

2.  At some point in the series, i recall getting a feeling that the "wind" that starts out each book starts to change somewhat in quality and with greater effect in each book.  any thoughts?

3.    what about how, where and why rand hid the seals? 

4.    also, i want to address how we treat how we interpret the nature of the hint that the "thing/event/whatever" is first mentioned somewhere in 4-6.  I think we should keep an opened mind that the way the hint is given does not exclude the possibility that the new "thing" or "event" may involves something that previously appears, yet whatever happens/is mentioned in 4-6 reveals something new, or a change, or something wrong, or that something was used to do something, etc.

therefore, i dont think something should be excluded just because it involves something previously mentioned--on condition that it is mentioned in some sort of new light in 4-6

I don't know if this has been mentioned and im not sure if its even in books 4-6 but at some point Nynaeve is being "bullied" by the sea folk to see if she can break out of their shielding from the source. If in not wrong (which i might be) Im sure on the last try Nynaeve felt an edge to the block similar to what rand used to get out of the box when he was trapped. I don't know if this ever gets mentioned again or if im taking it way out of context but could she have almost discovered how to get out of a blocking from the source? and don't the forsaken keep "magically" getting away from them even when shielded?? I will try and go through the books and find a ref. but it will take a while

Thats my 10c worth

I don't know if this has been mentioned and im not sure if its even in books 4-6 but at some point Nynaeve is being "bullied" by the sea folk to see if she can break out of their shielding from the source. If in not wrong (which i might be) Im sure on the last try Nynaeve felt an edge to the block similar to what rand used to get out of the box when he was trapped. I don't know if this ever gets mentioned again or if im taking it way out of context but could she have almost discovered how to get out of a blocking from the source? and don't the forsaken keep "magically" getting away from them even when shielded?? I will try and go through the books and find a ref. but it will take a while

Thats my 10c worth

That was in book 9, as well.

Ok, here's something that has always bothered me that doesn't seem to be mentioned much on these forums, and I feel it could be the sort of thing that BS is referring to.(As long as it's in the right book, which it may not be, my ability to keep the books divided in my head isn't the best)

-After Fain's whitecloaks are kicked out of the Two Rivers, he goes to the tower to retrieve his dagger, but he says he must go to Camelyn first, and I don't recall ever learning what he did there, but we know that Fain can have quite an influence on the places he visits.

I might have some of my facts wrong since I don't have my books with me, but any light someone else could shed on this would be much appreciated.     

brandon said this thing is first mentioned in books 4-6 but its in several books after that. My money is on slayer. He first appears in book4 in emonds field. Also dyelin said in book 6 that gitara sent luc off to the blight because he had to for the world or something not sure exactly what she said but he's been in books after this too. so ya thats my guess. also elaidas foretelling said the royal line of andor was crucial in the last battle. im pretty sure luc and tigraine were the royal house at the time of this foretellings im pretty sure

Hey folks, I was just reading tFoH and accidentally noticed two things:

Bael seems to consider agreeing with Mat, when Mat states that the way they travel to Caemlyn is even worse than the Ways. <-- Has Bael traveled in Ways too? That doesn't really seem to be the thing Sanderson is refering to as I don't remember such clues later on, although Bael could be a Darkfriend.  

But, truly it is kind a funny, how you read a book dozens of times and only once (if even that) bother to read the Glossary. Obv. Angreals have been mentioned for ages, but one detail (and the quote on the first post is indeed refering to a detail) we get only later...

Check out the glossary for the word "angreal", and see how it changes from book 3 to 4 and stays there for a couple of books.. ;)

Bael seems to consider agreeing with Mat, when Mat states that the way they travel to Caemlyn is even worse than the Ways. <-- Has Bael traveled in Ways too? That doesn't really seem to be the thing Sanderson is refering to as I don't remember such clues later on, although Bael could be a Darkfriend.  

I'm pretty sure most people have heard of the horror of the Ways, and would not like to make that trip.

I'm pretty sure most people have heard of the horror of the Ways, and would not like to make that trip.

I don't remember any Aiel to mention anything spooky about the Ways ever and for at least Gaul & girls it isn't any problem to step in (TSR: chapter 18). And if an Aiel heard that something is "terrifying", they would probably just laugh and state that you are weak and soft. So if they fear something, they have a good reason for that...

I don't remember any Aiel to mention anything spooky about the Ways ever and for at least Gaul & girls it isn't any problem to step in (TSR: chapter 18). And if an Aiel heard that something is "terrifying", they would probably just laugh and state that you are weak and soft. So if they fear something, they have a good reason for that...

tSR, Leavetakings:

(Perrin) "... We will be into the Ways in a few hours."

"The Ways?" Gaul's expression did not change, but he blinked.

"Does that make a difference?"

"Death comes for all men, Perrin."

just wondering

could the thing be the link between myrdaal and trollocs?

i know its mentioned in book 4 during the attack on the stone

anyone knows if we get to know abt the link before?

and if i am right- i am sure am not bt still worth discussing it- what if the way they are gng to win against these massive army of trollocs will have somthng to do with this unexplained link?

feel free to comment i know its lame!

• Liandrin's and the Black Ajahs plan to setup Mazrim Taim as a False dragon.  She knows compulsion, perhaps she used compulsion on Mazrim?  For a time when he proclaims himself as the True Dragon? (Yet to come)

The Pattern will not allow it -- when Rand revealed himself over the sky at Falme, bad things immediately happened to all 3 False Dragons. Then in TDR Moiraine got worried when she heard about Masema, thinking at first that there had been another False Dragon proclaim himself (which, if true, would have meant that Rand wasn't really the real Dragon Reborn).

This seems to me to have some merit in it. We heard at the beginning of TSR that this scheme might exist (and Moiraine believes it's the most likely to be true), then Taim manages to escape somehow, and when we next see him (at the beginning of LOC) he already seems to be his evil self. Now, I'm not saying that he wasn't like that beforehand for sure, just that it stands to reason that this is where they got to him. Plus, this could be why BS said books 4-6. Unfortunately, I can't say for sure whether or not this got discussed before, so if someone saw it somewhere, could you post a reference here?

Archived