DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tuon and the Seanchan (Full Book Spoilers)

Luckers

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely.  Although, on that line of thought, has anyone ever talked about what would happen if multiple damane were to be linked together in a chain?

I'd imagine something rather horrible. Trying to use ter'angreal in a way they weren't intended tends to have nasty consequences doesn't it?

So after finding and reading the Q&A section, I saw an answer that said that the Seanchan consider the raid to be a success but are disappointed to not have acquired the Aes Sedai superweapon. Does this mean that at least in the time between the books and somewhat into tGS, the Seanchan haven't discovered Gateways?

SIDE NOTE: so Tuon had a name before she became tuon.

was it Tu? or Uo (as this follows the theme with her current name nicely)

i think i'll call my first child Uo.  and then we he/she goes to school, it will be tuon. and when they graduate... Fortuona!

what a wonderful name.

So after finding and reading the Q&A section, I saw an answer that said that the Seanchan consider the raid to be a success but are disappointed to not have acquired the Aes Sedai superweapon. Does this mean that at least in the time between the books and somewhat into tGS, the Seanchan haven't discovered Gateways?

what the hell? the whole point of the raid was to get gateways!  of course they didn't have travelling.  they have it NOW, but only after the raid.

Definitely.  Although, on that line of thought, has anyone ever talked about what would happen if multiple damane were to be linked together in a chain?

I'd imagine something rather horrible. Trying to use ter'angreal in a way they weren't intended tends to have nasty consequences doesn't it?

Yes, but the a'dam is intended to link someone who can channel or learn to channel (sul'dam) with another person who can channel (damane), so it's not that big a change from what it does already.  Since the a'dam enables the sul'dam to control all aspects of a persn's ability to channel, it could enable the sul'dam to control both damane through the first damane's control of the second.  The a'dam probably has some kind of filter preventing a true circle from forming between the two users, so the combining of power is likely out.

I don't think they'll be using a'dam for much longer (except possibly on darkfriends), so we'll probably never find out.

Superweapon was the explosion when Elayne ried to untie the gqateway weave at the Kin farm.

And the Seanchan are unlikely to meet anyone who could tell them that it was an unrepeatable accident, so they are going to stay disappointed. :)

i think someone should smack some sense into the seanchan until they learn to behave.  maybe Elayne will find out how to reproduce Mat's ter angreal and we can watch an army of channelers kick the crap out of them.  i also wouldent mind seeing moridin going in and killing something

Mat's ter'angreal is difficult, though. How do you study something that repels the One Power?  :-\

All we know about Mat's ter'angreal is that it disrupts flows that touch the person wearing it.  There's no evidence that the ter'angreal by itself is immune to the one power.  We've also seen a similar ter'angreal protect Alivia from Cyndane's fireball during the Cleansing.  Since that ter'angreal didn't prevent Alivia from channeling, it's reasonable to assume that someone holding one of those ter'angreal could probe it with the power.

That said, the scarcity of a ter'angreal that useful suggests that it was very difficult to make.

Mat's ter'angreal is difficult, though. How do you study something that repels the One Power?  :-\

All we know about Mat's ter'angreal is that it disrupts flows that touch the person wearing it.  There's no evidence that the ter'angreal by itself is immune to the one power.  We've also seen a similar ter'angreal protect Alivia from Cyndane's fireball during the Cleansing.  Since that ter'angreal didn't prevent Alivia from channeling, it's reasonable to assume that someone holding one of those ter'angreal could probe it with the power.

That said, the scarcity of a ter'angreal that useful suggests that it was very difficult to make.

Or that it was unpopular to make.  Maybe channelers weren't too keen on creating things that would disrupt their own power.

Or that it was unpopular to make.  Maybe channelers weren't too keen on creating things that would disrupt their own power.

Or that Aes Sedai didn't make it. Mat got it from the Foxes and we have been told they stockpile ter'angreal, is it possible they make them aswell?

Or that Aes Sedai didn't make it. Mat got it from the Foxes and we have been told they stockpile ter'angreal, is it possible they make them aswell?

Both very good points I hadn't considered.  Maybe we'll learn more about the Aelfinn/Eelfinn and whether/how they can interact with the one power during the rescue of Moiraine.

Considering there are other versions as part of ter'angreal nets (Paralis nets or such?) I think it likely that Aes Sedai made them.  Remember, both Cadsuane and Nynaeve have versions in their ter'angreal/angreal collections.

Cadsuane's ter'angreal is not like Nynaeve's or Mat's since it's something that has to be actively "used" by the wearer, probably by channeling.  Nynaeve's ter'angreal and Mat's foxhead medallion both operate passively and protect the wearer against weaves without any intervention.

Also, it's probable that Nynaeve's and Mat's ter'angreal were not invented (or at least not introduced into the world) until after the breaking since Cyndane/Lanfear noted that she "had never heard of a ter'angreal that could break a web..." (WH, Ch 35)

During the Breaking there would have been more than one person interested in ter'angreal that could disrupt the effects of channeling.

I'm left wondering what event will bring Tuon and Matt back together again, short of the Last Battle. Matt is pointed at heading off to finnland, and Tuon isn't likely to leave Ebu Dar again.

i am sure the Tuon and Mat will cross paths in the end of ToM. after he has done the ToG part, probably just on pure happenstance that Mat will run in to her again. maybe sent as an emissary to the Seanchan by Rand? or he will volunteer to do it...?

well once rand finds out that he is married to her, i will bet the first thing that he does after curse mat is take him to ebu dar and make a treaty right there

Better hope not.  Remember that Tuon has now determined that she must secure Mat and tie him in her own version of pink ribbons by shaving his head and making a proper High Blood of him.

If Rand hauls Mat off to meet Tuon, that'll just start a battle to the death on the spot.

Tuon is already adjusting that view though. She thinks about what a shame that would be to change Mat. I think she's coming to realize that Seanchan needs to change and thus, so must she.

agreed. She is the Empress and she "must do what is best for the empire" and that is to adapt to its new surroundings. The way Luthair did when he first conquered Seanchan, only in reverse.

Something that occurred to me regarding the prophecies. The wording is that Rand will "bind the Nine Moons". When you think about it, Rand and Tuon's meeting should never have come to agreement, because she was not the Nine Moons - only the daughter of said person. Now that she is officially the Nine Moonss, as the Empress, maybe there will be an accord between them in the next book, with Mat smoothing the way. (I can't wait to see Rand's reaction when he discovers that Mat is married to Tuon!)

I can't help but wonder about their marriage too. I know these types of marriages are usually political things, but I assume they are expected to produce kids for the sake of the Empire. I don't think they even had a "wedding night". At what point will they hook up and become a "proper" married couple? I reckon it won't be until after the last battle. Poor Mat. He does like a tickle with his wenches! And poor Tuon. She nearly fainted the one time Mat kissed her  :D  :D

Archived