DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Plotline (spoilers for the entire book)

JenniferL

sorry my friend there arealot of things wrong and not easily disputed.

I'm not here to fight, but i don't put blinders over my eyes or molly coddle people i tell the truth and the truth hurts.

"WINTERS HEART with the choedan kal, page 641- south of her, that beacon shone, eneugh saider to waste to a continent in one blow." sanderson forgot to read this he would have rand taking the choedan kal and sneaking around killing small groups of seanchan and running away to strike again.

"WINTERS HEART with the choedan kal, page 651 - except that she was acting as conduit for far more of saider than the entire white tower could have handled using every angreal and sa angrael the tower possessed."

"CROSSROADS OF TWILIGHT surprises, page 468 - the resonance was so strong, we should have been able to smell it. there was more saidin used than saider, much more, dragonmountbeside a foothill." so if the amont of saider used was enough to melt continents,how much powerful is the choedan kal with rands strenght.

"THE GATHERING STORM scents unknown  pages 684 to 686 - we have to attack there,nynaeve said, ituraldesays that the blight is swarming with trollocs.the dark one is gathering his forces. you can bet that the bulk of them will be at the gap, where it'd easiestto get through and strike at andor and cairhien."

"she had to come with a new strategy to influence rand"

My friend i read alot of books, lots of different genre's like horror, science fiction, action, adventure etc, from people like stephen king, raymond e feist, fayod dayostivsky,and so one so i know quite abit about novels and i know the wheel of time inside out

I am not saying you dont read alot. Reading alot has nothing to do with comprehending alot. Your point is still mute

If it was MUTE to you, you wouldn't have heard it. Actually, points can't be mute.

Mute, you know, that button on your remote control.

The word you are looking for is moot.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not here to fight, but i don't put blinders over my eyes or molly coddle people i tell the truth and the truth hurts.

"WINTERS HEART with the choedan kal, page 641- south of her, that beacon shone, eneugh saider to waste to a continent in one blow." sanderson forgot to read this he would have rand taking the choedan kal and sneaking around killing small groups of seanchan and running away to strike again.

"WINTERS HEART with the choedan kal, page 651 - except that she was acting as conduit for far more of saider than the entire white tower could have handled using every angreal and sa angrael the tower possessed."

"CROSSROADS OF TWILIGHT surprises, page 468 - the resonance was so strong, we should have been able to smell it. there was more saidin used than saider, much more, dragonmountbeside a foothill." so if the amont of saider used was enough to melt continents,how much powerful is the choedan kal with rands strenght.

"THE GATHERING STORM scents unknown  pages 684 to 686 - we have to attack there,nynaeve said, ituraldesays that the blight is swarming with trollocs.the dark one is gathering his forces. you can bet that the bulk of them will be at the gap, where it'd easiestto get through and strike at andor and cairhien."

My friend i read alot of books, lots of different genre's like horror, science fiction, action, adventure etc, from people like stephen king, raymond e feist, fayod dayostivsky,and so one so i know quite abit about novels and i know the wheel of time inside out

I am not saying you dont read alot. Reading alot has nothing to do with comprehending alot. Your point is still mute

If it was MUTE to you, you wouldn't have heard it. Actually, points can't be mute.

Thank you for the English lesson. It must be nice to be perfect....

Mute ... Moot  ;D

I LOVE IT! One guy telling another he stinks and they're both standing in a hurricane force S*%t Storm.

This place and most other forums are so riddled with bad spelling, poor grammar and "text speak" that it makes trying to read these "discussions" cringe worthy. Especially for those who actually DO use their spell check etc. Most of it is just laziness or unwillingness to go back and correct typo's. At least it seems to me to be so.

Mr. Immortal resides in the Pacific Time Zone, so he IS in the USofA. Now, that in itself does not preclude him having English as a 2nd if not 3rd language. One would think if he reads all these books and comprehends them all better than most others extant, (or so he seems to insinuate) then some of the spelling and grammar might just end up soaking in.

I agree with the dispute over his assertions though. It doesn't seem to me he's reading the same book as I am. Maybe he actually knows the books outside in? :-\

And who the devil is "fayod dayostivsky"??!! Should we assume Fyodor Dostoyevsky? Hell I don't sprechen zie Russky even a little bit, but Wiki is a very cool tool 8)

I'm not saying I was perfect, but since you were ragging on the other person's reading comprehension skills, I thought I'd point out that your vocabulary skills aren't exactly big time either.

You know, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I'm not saying I was perfect, but since you were ragging on the other person's reading comprehension skills, I thought I'd point out that your vocabulary skills aren't exactly big time either.

You know, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Hah, I most certainly didnt attack his grammar, only his points. And according to your definition of mute, well I DIDNT hear it after all. But, I have always felt when people turn to spell checking they really dont have much to add to a conversation. But thanks again for pointing out my mistake.

WTF has spelling got to do with Rands plotline? Everyone will make a typo every now and then and some people have better English than others. As long as you can understand each other that's fine and if not ask for clarification.

Now what was the last thing you were discussing about Rand? I'll give a few.

Will he duel anyone else with a sword? Will we find out who is the best out of Gawyn (sp sorry) Gallad and Lan, after all those lessons etc... it would be a shame if he just used the power for now on.

Will he remember Merc and -sorry can't remember their name for Russia and all his other past lives? Will we get flashbacks of his previous battles against the DO?

He's already told himself to stop reaching for his blade when he feels threatened. That's in one of the early chapters... There is no reason for him to "duel" any longer.

Will he remember Merc and -sorry can't remember their name for Russia and all his other past lives? Will we get flashbacks of his previous battles against the DO?

Huh?

As for flashbacks; who knows, he's come to grips now with having the memories of LT, so possibly I guess.

I can't seem to get a grip why people want to think this planet is OUR planet. Time is circular in this, The WoT universe. Ours is NOT. That some earlier or later age had a dust up with some other nation is not indicative of this being our planet. Or even our universe. Jordan has used the concept of multiple universes and multiple times within universes for that matter (the portal stones).

Get over it people, it ain't the third rock from the sun.

Remember Jordan wrote this in probably the late 80's and was probably a hit at the cold war era, I will find the quote for you and you can decide if it wasn't a direct hint that this infact is earth but many thousands of years in the future. If you don't agree then thats fine but remember quantum physisists also believe in multiple universes and dimensions and they (for the most part) are on earth  :P

Ah found it, it was in Shadow Rising.

He laughs, and Elayne is sure she remembers him now. To keep him talking, she brings up Hawkwing; surely the tales are correct about him. Thom says in essence, perhaps, but he seriously doubts Hawkwing actually did even half of what the stories claim.

“And that is only a thousand years back. Go back further, back to the oldest tales I know, from the Age before the Age of Legends. Did Mosk and Merk really fight with spears of fire, and were they even giants? Was Elsbet really queen of the whole world, and was Anla really her sister? Was Anla truly the Wise Counselor, or was it someone else? As well ask what sort of animal ivory comes from, or what kind of plant grows silk. Unless that comes from an animal, too.”

Merc and Mosk (America and Moscow), Elsbet and Anla (Queen Elizabeth and Princess Anne) that's how I read it but you may disagree.

I can't seem to get a grip why people want to think this planet is OUR planet. Time is circular in this, The WoT universe. Ours is NOT. That some earlier or later age had a dust up with some other nation is not indicative of this being our planet. Or even our universe. Jordan has used the concept of multiple universes and multiple times within universes for that matter (the portal stones).

Get over it people, it ain't the third rock from the sun.

Q: Is the world of the books another world?

RJ: The intention is that the world of the books is our world at a different time. The concept is that time is a wheel, so if you go far enough into our future or into our past, you come to the time in the books. Because of that, they have legends that originate in our time, and we have legends that originate in theirs.

This is why most people believe it is our world. While I don't agree the idea of America/Russia has anything to do with the overall plot of the books those quotes are most likely direct references.. just as there are references to going to the moon etc..

i sure as heel hope he steers away from the merc mosk thing. what would rand learn from remembering that? how to be an ass to your neighbours 101, threaten them with atomic(or ICBM, or whatever else the governments are hiding) bombs, and hope they dont retaliate? not only a bad battleplan, but where would he get the materials?

(frindly ogier shop-keeper): hi there, how can i serve you sir? we have a wonderfull selection of sung wood.

(rand "bloody" al'thor): no, i dont need that. can i have several tonnes of the carbonised steel, another couple of tonnes titanium, about a pound of uranium, and about 2000 mioles of copper wire. and the jet fuel. oh, and a coke please. make that diet, im losing weight(waves stump in direction of shop-keeper).

I stand corrected..

From other interview's I've heard with RJ speaking on the Time as a Wheel thing, with no mention of OUR world with our Linear Time, I've always wondered why people thought it was the same rock.

Now I have to get over it.  ;)

Yes Lilbaz, I'm aware most  ;) quantum physicist's reside in our plane of existence. I've always used OUR home as a different "Portal World", accessible by portal stone as my own way of dealing with this anomaly (anomaly in my own head most likely).

Some people seem to assume that Rand will now remember all of his past lives. I can't claim I don't understand where that comes from (I did read Veins of Gold), but I think that sort of reasoning is misguided. Rand had a moment of clarity, in which he 'saw' the true meaning of existence. He's not the first one who felt that way. And even if in that moment he did gain insight into his past lives, what's to say that'll be a permanent effect? I would think that will shift the focus of the story from the plot that have been developed for 12 books now, to some weird logic questions that don't really seem all that interesting. Why do such a thing, if you were RJ/BS?

What do you think?

True there is enough story arcs already that need to be concluded, but I always loved the little flash backs to the AOL and Rhuiden (spelling). I think it might also be interesting to see why the DO wants to destroy creation, what is the power, why are sadin and sadar different, were there other Dragons etc... remeber we only have 2 books left and then it's over.

we have another 2 books, and an encyclopaedia to come. most of the logic/philosophical questions would, in all likelyhood, be in the encyclopaedia methinks?

ok, ive been reading a lot in this and other threads about veins of gold, and lots of people seem to like it a lot. all i ask is why, in particular, do people like this chapter so much? or even dislike it? for myself, i dont see it as a great chapter. it kinda detracted from the grimdark feel that had been building up over the last few books. it was getting to the point where it was actually concievable that the bad guys could win the last battle. now it feels less so, and this is a bit upsetting for me personally. one of the reasons i love the series so much is the sheer amount of fallibility in rand, as opposed to other heros in fantasy books. we all know frodo's character could have done with a bit of madness :)

we have another 2 books, and an encyclopaedia to come. most of the logic/philosophical questions would, in all likelyhood, be in the encyclopaedia methinks?

ok, ive been reading a lot in this and other threads about veins of gold, and lots of people seem to like it a lot. all i ask is why, in particular, do people like this chapter so much? or even dislike it? for myself, i dont see it as a great chapter. it kinda detracted from the grimdark feel that had been building up over the last few books. it was getting to the point where it was actually concievable that the bad guys could win the last battle. now it feels less so, and this is a bit upsetting for me personally. one of the reasons i love the series so much is the sheer amount of fallibility in rand, as opposed to other heros in fantasy books. we all know frodo's character could have done with a bit of madness :)

We have no idea the extent Rand will change, if at all.  I wouldn't worry about it until after reading the next book.  I'm sure there will be just as much killing and death to be had for all.

We have no idea the extent Rand will change, if at all.  I wouldn't worry about it until after reading the next book.  I'm sure there will be just as much killing and death to be had for all.

I, on the other hand, fail to understand why do so many people try to connect the Lord of the Rings with the Wheel of Time? These are two separate series! Cut it off already!

Besides, Veins of Gold is such a good chapter because you can feel the actual pressure on Rand's shoulders. I've begun rereading the books (the first ones) and now I see how impossible it looks for Rand to defeat the DO. In TGS, he is so concentrated, he is so determined.. He looks so strong! Veins of Gold shows that he is still that shepherd from the inside. To me, it is like running in a dark tunnel for a couple of days with only a small amount of water and food. Rand endures a catharsis. He finally reaches the end of the tunnel and feels the fresh air and the sun touching him. He said it multiple times in TGS. Everybody is trying to put him in a box. He finally got out of the box of being pushed to some place without understanding why.

Maybe you haven't been able to grasp the symbolism of this chapter and that's why you think this chapter is not a great one. Maybe you've never been held in a box.

He's already told himself to stop reaching for his blade when he feels threatened. That's in one of the early chapters... There is no reason for him to "duel" any longer.

Huh?

As for flashbacks; who knows, he's come to grips now with having the memories of LT, so possibly I guess.

It's Mosk and Merc shooting arrows at one another isn't it?

Archived