DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Plotline (spoilers for the entire book)

JenniferL

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seemed to me that the darkness was a reflection of the growing darkness of his soul. By using the TP (the power of the Dark One) and by using (and IMHO, strengthening) his connection to Moridin, who is the Naeb'lis (I forget where the apostrophe goes. Sorry if I misspelled) to the Dark One, his tie to the Dark One, both figuratively and literally, has strengthened and is reflected in his appearance.

Comma.

As to the chair prophetic dream, I always thought that had something to do with the Crystal Throne in Seandar.  I can see Tuon, excuse me, Fortuona, being murderously angry.  Elayne was quite upset over Rand's treatment of the Lion Throne, but I never read anything that said she was mad enough to hurt Rand, much less murder him.

Yes, I've read TGS, and I guess I will have to go look up the beginning again, because I just don't remember what Rand thought about Egwene.  Besides, whatever he believes about Egwene's situation, once he meets her as Amyrlin and she starts to unload on him about the Asha'man and how he's handled recent events, I sure hope he pretty much tells her the Aes Sedai are spoiled little brats!  Egwene ought to try and work with the Asha'man and Rand.  I don't care what she's been through, Rand has had it tougher for a longer amount of time.  The Aes Sedai need to quit worrying about controlling the rest of the world, and start learning to work with people.

Sorry.  As I am rereading the series, I am finding out how much I want to slap the Aes Sedai in general.

As to the chair prophetic dream, I always thought that had something to do with the Crystal Throne in Seandar.  I can see Tuon, excuse me, Fortuona, being murderously angry.  Elayne was quite upset over Rand's treatment of the Lion Throne, but I never read anything that said she was mad enough to hurt Rand, much less murder him.

Yes, I've read TGS, and I guess I will have to go look up the beginning again, because I just don't remember what Rand thought about Egwene.  Besides, whatever he believes about Egwene's situation, once he meets her as Amyrlin and she starts to unload on him about the Asha'man and how he's handled recent events, I sure hope he pretty much tells her the Aes Sedai are spoiled little brats!  Egwene ought to try and work with the Asha'man and Rand.  I don't care what she's been through, Rand has had it tougher for a longer amount of time.  The Aes Sedai need to quit worrying about controlling the rest of the world, and start learning to work with people.

Sorry.  As I am rereading the series, I am finding out how much I want to slap the Aes Sedai in general.

we need a like button like facebook. Cause I totally agree. What if rand brings that throne to randland for the next meeting with Tuon

we need a like button like facebook. Cause I totally agree. What if rand brings that throne to randland for the next meeting with Tuon

That would totally be an "OH, SNAP!" moment. Rand gives her the Crystal Throne. He could totally tell her then and there that she would owe him.

And Aes Sedai remind me of the A-crowd in high school. They absolutely think they're better than everyone else. That everybody should follow their way of thinking. It will be HILARIOUS when Rand puts them in their place.

The 'know her anger' thing has changed..flavour, I guess.. so often in my mind since TGS. As DarkRand, Egwene rolling out the temper would have had totally disastrous consequences. He wouldn't have been able to stop himself, the way he did with Tam.

Once he hops down the mountain,(which hopefully, now he's reintegrated his LTT memories, won't involve great difficulty seizing saidin), he will be calm enough to listen to Egwene, but he is going to view her as such a child now, surely. She's had a successful campaign within the AS, true, but really, very little life experience. What is she, 20? I think he'll be a lot more authoritative, kind of like Bryne, actually. Sure of his own feet. So yeah he'll know her anger, but as someone said, it's not really going to affect him. Nynaeve or Tam will defo hit closer to home if they decide to go off on one, but Egwene won't be able to hurt him, I don't think.

That dream was in LoC or tFoH, at which time Morgase was still officially queen. That Morgase is furious with Rand is clear from her reactions to the rumors of him, especially when she meets Perrin in PoD.

It could be Tuon and the Crystal Throne, but I think based on the timeline, more likely to be Morgase and the Lion Throne. I guess we'll have to wait and see as I expect the Crystal Throne will play a part in the next book, but I hope it gets blown up as a proof to the Seanchan that their prophecies are false.

Yes, I've read TGS, and I guess I will have to go look up the beginning again, because I just don't remember what Rand thought about Egwene.

He thinks she will try to control and manipulate him as all Aes Sedai do. To be fair, he has a very good point...

That said, even when they were still village kids escaping from Trollocs in EoTW, Rand's and Egwene's exchanges were quite, shall we say, memorable... It will be fun to see them argue again. :-)

I think that it would be helarious if egwene is screaming at rand and he "knows her anger" and then he just starts humming and rubbing his earlobe and then when shes done he says something like " sorry what was that?"

he was thinking about the foursome they all had last night. oh so naughty  :o

My theory:

Rand became slightly tainted by the dark one when he and Moridin met in Shadar Logoth, hence the specks in his eyes.

Rand became very tainted when he used the true power to kill Semirhage, hence the dark aura.

Rand cleansed himself on top of dragonmount when he channeled so much Saidin. The sky above dragonmount was also cleansed of the dark ones touch, dissipating the clouds.

That dream was in LoC or tFoH, at which time Morgase was still officially queen. That Morgase is furious with Rand is clear from her reactions to the rumors of him, especially when she meets Perrin in PoD.

It could be Tuon and the Crystal Throne, but I think based on the timeline, more likely to be Morgase and the Lion Throne. I guess we'll have to wait and see as I expect the Crystal Throne will play a part in the next book, but I hope it gets blown up as a proof to the Seanchan that their prophecies are false.

Yes, I've read TGS, and I guess I will have to go look up the beginning again, because I just don't remember what Rand thought about Egwene.

He thinks she will try to control and manipulate him as all Aes Sedai do. To be fair, he has a very good point...

That said, even when they were still village kids escaping from Trollocs in EoTW, Rand's and Egwene's exchanges were quite, shall we say, memorable... It will be fun to see them argue again. :-)

That would be great if Rand destroyed the Crystal Throne, and told Fortuona straight to her face that her place of power pales in comparison to importance of his existence. That what he needs to do, far outweighs her mission of conquest.

I think the interesting bit here, really, is to figure out exactly what Rand's going to be like now, after his wee wobbly on DM. So, he's figured out the meaning of Life, the Universe & Everything. Well done: not before time.

How the hell is guilt not gonna cripple the man? He knows the whole episode with Min was not his fault, and I think he'll be back to normal with her. What about Tam? I'm just wondering if all sorts of Shadowy behaviour is gonna slip under the radar, so to speak, while he's grovelling goodo. And all the innocents at Graendal's pleasure palace. And lots of other stuff.

Also, importantly, loads of people saw him being/doing crazy. Is Nynaeve gonna have to send out a town cryer with a press release?

And, big question, how exactly is he gonna participate in TG now? Clearly it's not gonna be a massive display of saidin now that he has destroyed the CK: brute force is obviously not the key. And, if love is all, (presumably bringing forgiveness & redemption along with it) will he actually be able to kill all the loads & loads of DF's?

I just hope Tam's got a fatted calf on standby for the prodigal's return...

I have always leaned to the "Chair" being the Crystal Throne. It seems a stretch for me but as the series progressed I am less and less inclined to believe that. I think that the next meeting between Fortuona and Rand will be when they come to "agreement" and whether or not Mat has something to do with it they will be allies. Which really leads me to think Tuon will not be the one "murderously angry".

It has to be ONE of the thrones, right?

A thought had popped into my head which prompted me to post: What if, due to the Borderlanders abandoning their duty and their post.....Rand decides he needs to take control of the Borderlands himself, taking Tenobia's place as "temporary" ruler of the Borderlands/Saldea. This would definitely make her angry.

Majsju - if the Seanchan have travelling, Fortuona may bring the Crystal Throne to Ebou Dar.

Thus pulling it into the plot, justifying the name of the book and still keeping Rand out of Seanchan.

Ah yes, with civil war tearing the Seanchan empire apart on one hand, TG waiting around the corner on the other, the most important thing on Tuons mind will be to go get the throne her mother used to sit on...

"Ah yes, with civil war tearing the Seanchan empire apart on one hand, TG waiting around the corner on the other, the most important thing on Tuons mind will be to go get the throne her mother used to sit on.."

And yet...Majsju, in TGS Fortuona said that the most important thing was NOT what was happening back home, earning Galgans respect. (TGS pg 303)

And then, I realized you were being sarcastic.

My bad  ;D

Majsju - if the Seanchan have travelling, Fortuona may bring the Crystal Throne to Ebou Dar.

Thus pulling it into the plot, justifying the name of the book and still keeping Rand out of Seanchan.

Ah yes, with civil war tearing the Seanchan empire apart on one hand, TG waiting around the corner on the other, the most important thing on Tuons mind will be to go get the throne her mother used to sit on...

If it features in the prophesies, she may consider it important enough for 10-minutes of her time. Get a damane to weave a Gate - grab the throne - return. No big deal.

I suggested it as a way to reconcile RJ's statement, the known title of Book 13 and the Throne dream.

Ah yes, EXACTLY, becuse Tuon has already made it clear she wants Rand to bow to her and I think she has the insight necessary to realise that the Chair will come Rand before Rand will come to the Chair.

It will be funny if Rand does bow to the (empty) Crystal Throne and then sits there himself.

I'm undecided on which would be more interesting Rand sitting on the Amyrlin Seat with Egwene being angry at him or him sitting on the CT with Tuon being angry at him.

Both options have their merits.

It will be funny if Rand does bow to the (empty) Crystal Throne and then sits there himself.

I'm undecided on which would be more interesting Rand sitting on the Amyrlin Seat with Egwene being angry at him or him sitting on the CT with Tuon being angry at him.

Both options have their merits.

He could do both - it would be a cunning way to unite AS and Seanchan since both lots would then be spitting mad at him rather than each other.

I was referring to Egwene's dream of Rand sitting on a chair and a woman being angry at him for it. I always assumed it was Morgase and the Lion Throne, but the 2 opportunities I mentioned in the earlier post are far more meaningful. There is also Elaida's foretelling of Rand knowing the Amyrlin's anger.

Anyway, I doubt Rand will bow before any throne or empress. For one thing the Seanchan prophecies have been corrupted,by Ishamael presumably, and for second, I don't want to see Rand bowing to anybody, especially not a Seanchan. They need to be humbled a bit, not enabled in their delusions.

Archived