DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Terry Goodkind and the Sword of Truth novels

bobsbarricades

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harriet has no say whatsoever in the WoT movie. Red Eagle bought the film rights hook, line and sinker from Robert Jordan (highly ill-advisedly, as Jordan later admitted). Red Eagle of course claim to be consulting Harriet, Brandon and Tor Books on the project, and obviously have their presence on Dragonmount, but their continued insistence on a movie project when WoT does not fit that format shows that they have little interest in a faithful adaptation.

If Red Eagle get their way, the WoT movie series is going to bear, at best, a cosmetic resemblance to the books that will make LotS look like a word-for-word remake of the books.

If Universal don't get the EotW movie into pre-production in another year or two, though, the rights are going to expire and the project dies the death it needs to so a TV project can get off the ground. We can but hope.

You couldn't be true to the story on televesion at all.  The very personalities of the main characters is too gruesome to be PG.  There is literally only one villain in the entire series that doesn't practice violent rape for fun. 

Essentially if you gut the ultraviolence and sadistic rape element from the villains to make it more PG those same villains could easily be construed as good guys, or at least very admirable in comparison to Richard and Kahlan.  The only thing Goodkind could do to make Jagang look worse than Richard is to make Jagang and the IO impossibly cruel (and they do it for the lulz) and to make Richard the underdog (who we of course must cheer for).

Also Nietzche...*cough*Nicci*cough*...was a terrible character and deserved the gruesome death that Richard and Kahlan so callously delivered to so many other less deserving characters; including Kahlan's own brother.  She is of course redeemed because she is like woah, hot and all.  Of course Nicci meant well; and intent and deed are the same thing right?  Maybe Richard can enlighten us on the flawless 'logic' of that one.

Agreed on the hair.  Too short.  And the personalities don't really match, either....I was mainly talking about how they look.  Besides, it's televison, who cares what they say, right?  ;D

I've never seen a TV/movie adaptation of a book or book series ever be better than the reading....ever.  Some might argue LotR....but I say no film can compare to the power contained within a book.

The watchmen came close in my opinion. The comic's end with the alien seemed a little out of character with the rest of the piece.

Watchmen was very good. But I've gotta say Lonesome Dove was the best adaptation I've ever seen. Maybe not better than McMurtry's novel but equal to it. Whether you like westerns or not, the book and the miniseries are both spectacularly well done.

Call: "I don't see what you need laigs for anyhow; you don't like to do nothing but sit on the porch and drink whiskey."

Gus: "I like to kick a pig now and then."

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with all of your points scion you could easily make someone evil and still keep it PG/PG 13.

It wouldn't be hard at all, that is why you have "cut scenes" and etc.

My point was, that in order to do that you have to make Richard and Kahlan not evil as well.  If you leave them as is, their own actions and their own philosophies aren't terribly distinct from that of the Imperial Order.  Nothing about the IO screams 'evil' that Richard isn't also guilty of.  Richard believes people should be 'free' to choose, but choosing wrongly warrants death. 

You need some way to make the Imperial Order the bad guys.  Goodkind did that with his heavy handed use of pointless rape, torture and murder; and even then barely succeeded.  Richard and the 'good guys' would need to be significantly altered; their dialogue, many crucial scenes and plotlines, to distinguish them as anything but another set of murderous, totalitarian thugs (which is exactly what they are in the books).

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped reading the SoT novels before I was 40 pages into the first book.  I just didn't like the writing, and felt that even if I went into it deeper, there would be nothing new about it.  That was before I had read WoT ... this SoT vs WoT debate is new to me.  And the heart comment is pretty unforgivable ... there is no reason to say that sort of thing to anyone, in any circumstance.

I read the entire first book, but stopped with the second. Felt the "Sisters of Light" were too much an Aes Sedai rip-off....

An order of all female members...Who can use a mystical power. RJ was not the first author to think of such a thing.

No, it was based upon Irish lore called the Aos Sidhe...

But the idea of an all female Society of magic users used in two very successful book series released within a few years of one another..?

Come on...

Archived