DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Terry Goodkind and the Sword of Truth novels

bobsbarricades

I read the entire first book, but stopped with the second. Felt the "Sisters of Light" were too much an Aes Sedai rip-off....

An order of all female members...Who can use a mystical power. RJ was not the first author to think of such a thing.

No, it was based upon Irish lore called the Aos Sidhe...

But the idea of an all female Society of magic users used in two very successful book series released within a few years of one another..?

Come on...

I've honestly never heard that before. If you have a reference to that or a quote or something that would be cool. I tried looking and couldn't really find anything.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except both of those shows are on premium channels, not syndicated on basic television. And the show is obviously not trying to set the kind of tone that's in the book. It's trying to be a fun sword and sorcery show with likable good looking characters that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Except both of those shows are on premium channels, not syndicated on basic television. And the show is obviously not trying to set the kind of tone that's in the book. It's trying to be a fun sword and sorcery show with likable good looking characters that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Yeah, I understand that isn't what they're going for. Which is the whole problem because it's what TG should have been going for.

Perhaps you never saw Hercules and Xena, they had some pretty evil people in it and alluding to a lot of "violence" without showing direct acts.

Could have done the same, instead they gimped the story and show, and now it is going to die.

*DONCES AROUND THE BODY OF LoS SHOW*

I read the entire first book, but stopped with the second. Felt the "Sisters of Light" were too much an Aes Sedai rip-off....

An order of all female members...Who can use a mystical power. RJ was not the first author to think of such a thing.

But the idea of an all female Society of magic users used in two very successful book series released within a few years of one another..?

Come on...

I've honestly never heard that before. If you have a reference to that or a quote or something that would be cool. I tried looking and couldn't really find anything.

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Aes_Sedai

Read the Parallels section near the bottom.

Yeah, I understand that isn't what they're going for. Which is the whole problem because it's what TG should have been going for.

Why? For people who want to enjoy the brutality and philosophy of the books, they can read them. Why did we desperately need a show full of hour long lectures on how to live our lives and constant amounts of rape and gore? The show's actually balanced in the philosophy just fine, while being much less hardcore about it. And there has been tons of violence and sex, just not HBO graphic level. What exactly would blood spurts have done to help the show? And why would TG care? People are buying his books anyway. He doesn't really have anything to do with the show, except get a check for it.

Perhaps you never saw Hercules and Xena, they had some pretty evil people in it and alluding to a lot of "violence" without showing direct acts.

Could have done the same, instead they gimped the story and show, and now it is going to die.

*DONCES AROUND THE BODY OF LoS SHOW*

Actually I was a devote watcher of both shows. They did have evil people on there like Ares and Hope, and they alluded to about as much violence as LotS does. Probably less. The show has actually done fine in the ratings, it hasn't been canceled, and all signs point to it's renewal in May. LotS has been a more faithful adaptation of TG books then either Hercules or Xena was to Greek Mythology. They don't have just TG fans watching the show.

Enjoyed the Sword of Truth.

A lot less POV's.  I really hate that about RJ's writing and it's why I'd never read LOtR just watching the movies gives me that feeling that you are switching all over the place.  Not my cup of tea.

I like what Jim Butcher has done his series the DF.  The main series is in First person and between books he writes little short stories to give a bit a insight into other characters in the series.  Maybe if RJ or BS did something like that they would have finish the book in one maybe two.  

But for what ever reason we have three books to look forward too.

Goodkinds on my Shelve.

Come on...

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Aes_Sedai

Read the Parallels section near the bottom.

Okay so the only similarities I'm seeing are in the name. Other than that they have virtually nothing in common other than that they wield a mystical power. If anything, whether RJ gives sources and TG doesn't or vice-versa, RJ is "Copying" (Or being inspired, however you want to put it) more.

Why? For people who want to enjoy the brutality and philosophy of the books, they can read them. Why did we desperately need a show full of hour long lectures on how to live our lives and constant amounts of rape and gore? The show's actually balanced in the philosophy just fine, while being much less hardcore about it. And there has been tons of violence and sex, just not HBO graphic level. What exactly would blood spurts have done to help the show? And why would TG care? People are buying his books anyway. He doesn't really have anything to do with the show, except get a check for it.

Again, I'm more speaking as to what TG should have gone for if he really wanted to be taken seriously. By anyone. I already know that you and many others here don't, but from what I can tell TG is death on people calling his work "Fantasy" and he seems to have a real problem with being taken seriously. Your last comment is pretty much my main problem with the show and it's departure from the books. That TG was only in it for the money, which bugs the hell out of me. I'm sure you would be pissed (As would I) if RJ were still alive and a TV series called "The Dragon Reborn: Based loosely on the WoT time novels by Robert Jordan" were to come out. "Hey Rand it's me Galad, I am your father"..."No I can't be! Tam is my father!!"...."Actually he's your brother now and Moraine here totally wants to get it on with you.".....So much fail.

Again, I'm more speaking as to what TG should have gone for if he really wanted to be taken seriously. By anyone. I already know that you and many others here don't, but from what I can tell TG is death on people calling his work "Fantasy" and he seems to have a real problem with being taken seriously. Your last comment is pretty much my main problem with the show and it's departure from the books. That TG was only in it for the money, which bugs the hell out of me. I'm sure you would be pissed (As would I) if RJ were still alive and a TV series called "The Dragon Reborn: Based loosely on the WoT time novels by Robert Jordan" were to come out. "Hey Rand it's me Galad, I am your father"..."No I can't be! Tam is my father!!"...."Actually he's your brother now and Moraine here totally wants to get it on with you.".....So much fail.

I do respect TG and I did like all the books. If RJ sold the rights of WoT to be made into a series and that series didn't follow the books I would be bummed, as I am with LotS, but I'd still watch and have fun with it. TG has nothing to do with the show. Raimi has taken most of the basic premise of the novels and turned it into a fun PG-level show. It's not high-brow, and it's entertaining sword and sorcery. Placing the series on HBO/Starz/Showtime wouldn't make the show any better. If it actually stayed 100% faithful to the books it would become pretty tedious and lose a lot of what makes the books so much fun.

Kadere you make me sad. The show is significantly lower in ratings than both Hercules AND Xena.

I never said it had better ratings then either show. All I said was it had healthy ratings.

Okay so the only similarities I'm seeing are in the name. Other than that they have virtually nothing in common other than that they wield a mystical power. If anything, whether RJ gives sources and TG doesn't or vice-versa, RJ is "Copying" (Or being inspired, however you want to put it) more.

A bunch of women from Irish Lore who wielded a power bested only by the Gods...

Could it be anymore obvious?

No, if Hercules and Xena were still on and had as LOW of ratings as LoS, they would have been canceled.

Why would that be true, and how would you know that? They were both syndicated tv shows just like LotS is. LotS is still on television. If Hercules and Xena were both still on and had as the same ratings they'd both still be on, just as LotS is still on. LotS ratings really aren't that low. It averages about 4 million viewers an episode which is very good for a syndicated television show. So I'm not sure how you can draw your conclusion.

I was just about to ask whether Xena and Hecules were syndicated showw. That threw out a possible idea I had. And 4m viewers for a show is good. Plus then there is also the worldwide audience as well. I could do some research into finding UK figures, since I believe it is on one of the better channels for Sci-Fi here in the UK - SciFi or SyFy (whatever it is now called).

I actually agree with Kadere about most of what he said. There is no way that LotS would be on at prime time TV if it stuck to the books - the violence wouldn't allow it. There have been changes I haven't liked, but I let them slide. I enjoy the show for what it is - fun, sword and scorcery TV programme.

Hercules and Xena when they were canceled were averaging around 4 million views a week. Second, LoS has never even come close to matching their peak, (each one peaked in S3 around 10 to 11 million views a week) (More than Heroes has had for 2 seasons now).

Basically the reasons you have used are inherently flawed and you just don't want to admit the show is horrible. So whatever, it is a horrible rendition to the books and there was no reason to change so many of the dynamics. Especially when they are or attempted to pay hommage to the actual book "Stone of Tears" in a single episode, and they already botched the "Faith of the Fallen" book as well.  Clear indications this series is going to fail, if it hasn't already.

Hopefully no one will be dumb enough to pick up the series after Tribune drops it.(Well they have already so it doesn't matter).

It could be much, much more obvious actually.

Kovan, I'm going to side with Manely on this one, although a bit differently, the Sisters of the Light/Dark (Cough)ripoff(cough) are clearly Aes Sedai with a slightly different name.

It could much, much more obvious actually.

Kovan, I'm going to side with Manely on this one, although a bit differently, the Sisters of the Light/Dark (Cough)ripoff(cough) are clearly Aes Sedai with a slightly different name.

It could much, much more obvious actually.

Really? How so? I still don't get it. Like I said, RJ was not the first person to think of an all female order that use a mystical power. When you think about it, even that much isn't really all the imaginative.

Hercules and Xena when they were canceled were averaging around 4 million views a week. Second, LoS has never even come close to matching their peak, (each one peaked in S3 around 10 to 11 million views a week) (More than Heroes has had for 2 seasons now).

Hercules and Xena weren't canceled because of viewership. Syndicated shows don't fall under the same rules as shows like Heroes. Outlets in different states pick up syndicates because they figure it'll guarantee a few million viewers each episode. LotS is averaging very well for a syndicated tv show. I'm not sure where you're getting these numbers. And I'm not sure how you think you're proving that these numbers mean LotS should be canceled.

Basically the reasons you have used are inherently flawed and you just don't want to admit the show is horrible.

Are you talking about me or yourself? The show is perfectly fine and you just desperately want it canceled because you hate it.

So whatever, it is a horrible rendition to the books and there was no reason to change so many of the dynamics. Especially when they are or attempted to pay hommage to the actual book "Stone of Tears" in a single episode, and they already botched the "Faith of the Fallen" book as well.  Clear indications this series is going to fail, if it hasn't already.

The books are perfectly fine and you can go and read them whenever you want. If you don't like how the show does the story, don't watch. The show takes liberties as most shows and movies do. Just because it's not 100% faithful to the source material doesn't mean that it will fail.

Archived