DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Terry Goodkind and the Sword of Truth novels

bobsbarricades

Lots of text...

The reason I'm arguing points is that I felt it was worthwhile to add my $0.02. We don't disagree on everyting, just some fundamentals about the books vs. the show. You seem to believe the show has a standard set by the story to live up to, while I feel it does not. They've made it clear that the show is going to follow its own star, and could best be described as a reimagining (ala BSG) of the books. Given how badly Goodkind jacked them up, that's not a bad thing. Even if the show does not live up to the books, it does not matter to me. Forcing to them to the standard set down in the books is only going to guarantee failure.

Basically I disagree with ConQuest. SoT was made up of a few awesome key moments and decent sub-plots, interspersed with brutal graphic violence and long-winded preaching, with exactly two exemplary stories.

Now, on to the points.

1. I've finished the series. The BoCS is only relevant in book 1 and the last book or so, where the whole sub-plot of his fighting Rahl requires his memorization of this book and then we later find out the whole thing was a joke because nix nix spoiler nix BoCS cheat-fail. Yes, I do recall his father requiring him to memorize it. That little factoid gives way too much away. i.e. contrived. Given the nnspoilerbocs-c-f, the destruction of the book is meaningless, because Richard already knows what he needs.

2. Agreed.

3. Pretty sure I addressed the issue with Jagang, and skipped over it the second time around. The boundaries failed over a period of time in the books, they can fall all at once, introducing another Season in the show. It just doesn't matter. The real purpose of the boundaries falling was to conclude one sub-plot and introduce another as the unintended consequence of defeating DR. Here, it will be defeating the Keeper. So what? Different take on the same story. They've already made it clear it will be this way. If you're looking for a televised version of the books, you're wasting your time.

4. Oh right, it WAS deus ex ta'veren. Congrats, Rachael, you just accidentally saved the world! Accidents aside, it was worthless to the story. The show, following it's own logic, and not being judged against the blatantly DIFFERENT logic of the novels, seems to do just fine. Where's the problem?

5. I could swear that was discussed when ZZ was telling RR that he couldn't kill anyone that he didn't believe deserved it, but you're probably right. Still, so what? It took an entire book to discover the full powers. So it takes two seasons here, and will likely be introduced in a different method than the books... if at all. Though they're certainly amping up the brutality this season, I'm not sure if "killing someone as a form of love" is a story they want to tell. We'll see.

6. Remind me, please? I probably need to re-read the books, since SoT is nowhere near as well sourced on the internet as WoT is.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed the SOT series. It is pretty obvious that Goodkind copied lots of ideas from RJ. Some of the books are a bore to get through such as Soul of Fire and Pillars of Creation but the series over all isn't to bad. The last 3 books are more like 1 broken into 3 books. The comments that Goodkind made about RJ was pretty nasty causing me to loose respect for him as a person. The TV show sucks! As for other books that any one would be interested in reading I would highly recommend the warlord series by Bernard Cornwell. The first book is called the Winter King, second is Enemy of God and the last is Excaliber. The Wheel of Time is a great series but I don't think it is nearly as good as the warlord series. Just my 2 cents.

I forced my self to watch 2 painstaking hours of that piece of garbage, TV series. Its horrible, acting, story, plot. The SoT was raped by the show, taking what it wanted, and completely screwing up other aspects of it that make it coflict with the book. The later seasons of the show ( if there are any) will be screwed up by the first season. Sam Rami should have stopped doing anything after Xena.

I enjoyed the SOT series. It is pretty obvious that Goodkind copied lots of ideas from RJ. Some of the books are a bore to get through such as Soul of Fire and Pillars of Creation but the series over all isn't to bad. The last 3 books are more like 1 broken into 3 books. The comments that Goodkind made about RJ was pretty nasty causing me to loose respect for him as a person. The TV show sucks! As for other books that any one would be interested in reading I would highly recommend the warlord series by Bernard Cornwell. The first book is called the Winter King, second is Enemy of God and the last is Excaliber. The Wheel of Time is a great series but I don't think it is nearly as good as the warlord series. Just my 2 cents.

Bernard Cornwell writes historical fiction... I won't compare him to WoT.  Also, while I didn't mind Winter King, the rest is bit... overly boring.  Then again I'm a fan of people who can create worlds in their heads.

The show is horrible compared to the books.

I just saw ep 7... what a perverse way to interpet any of it.

DEANA is ALIVE? WTFX... and with as often as Richard visits the underworld he may as well be a baneling, this is becoming one of the most stupid series in existence to be based so loosely on a book series that the show COULD have given it justice instead of the dribble it is currently spewing out.

Yeah.. I'm a bit bitter.

Deana was one of my favourite characters and now she is just... stupid.  Same for Cara, they are going to butcher Nicci, I can just see it.

• 2 weeks later...

*sigh*

I guess the only good thing was the fact she is the leader of the sisters of the dark... but she is missing that unemotional detachment she needed to have.

I just can't see how they can reconcile anything now... they had a chance with the whole Richard going to the palace of the prophets and stuff.. but now its just... bleh.

I've tired so hard to be optimistic too.

Yeah I know she was faking a lot of the emotions but one of the few times she didn't come off as an overemotional coward was at the end. I thought that this part would be good too but if it keeps going like this it'll ruin the series. I liked the continuity, but that was about it. Most episodes started out with them walking through a forest getting attacked randomly or just randomly stumbling on something important. The second  temple episode continued from right where it left off. I have to say that the sheer repetitiveness of the show is starting to bug me too. It is the same thing almost every episode, they're ambushed, one person survives an dis confessed, and Richard and Kahlan say practically the same lines every time.

"Who sent you?"...and "Where were you supposed to report to after you killed us?"

Yeah... I guess until they destroyed the boxes of orden they had a chance.

Now its all fuzzled up. *sigh*

I also don't like how fast Kahlan gets her magic back.. its minutes not hours... like it should be. Even though in the first episodes she fell down.. now she doesn't even do that.

.  .  .  having every innocent bystander get raped and/or brutally murdered, lost its impact, say after the 6th time.

I really despise TG, for his constant use of rape. I think he is a total misogynist. He's a scary person and you would NOT want to be alone with him.

I read the first two books out of curiosity, but it soon turned into forcing myself to finish them. Gak.

(I also hate Ayn Rand, and did so at an early age long before I knew enough to analyze the why of it.)

.  .  .  having every innocent bystander get raped and/or brutally murdered, lost its impact, say after the 6th time.

I really despise TG, for his constant use of rape. I think he is a total misogynist. He's a scary person and you would NOT want to be alone with him.

I read the first two books out of curiosity, but it soon turned into forcing myself to finish them. Gak.

If he's got a hate on, I think it's for people in general, not women in specific. Think about it - in addition to all the rape, there's roasting people alive over fires, mass blindings by the heroes, and the slaughter of camp followers and just about anyone else that happens to get in the way of sharp or magical objects. Brutality has many names, one of them is Terry Goodkind. He doesn't seem to get that, from what I've read.

Archived