DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

'09/'10 Premier League Season

Haxorsist

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Maj. Manchester United and Chelsea have much better squads to cope with the challenge of the Premiership (and other competitions) compared to both Liverpool and Arsenal, and the rest of the Premiership. Just look at the fact that both Man Utd and Chelsea are unbeaten in their respective Champions' League groups. Arsenal have talented youths, but they are still boys compared to the men of both Man Utd and Chelsea. Silverware speaks volumes, and Arsenal haven't won much in many a year. That will have to change, or Arsenal will be labled great underachievers.

And how I remember my team (Southampton) being Man Utd's bogie team! Ah, the days of the famous wins at The Dell, and the excuses people found for United losing - but never the fact that the Saints outplayed them! Remember those grey shirts, Maj? ;)

Anyone else support League 1 teams?  ;D

I doubt it! lol! But I agree with you - it is a make or break game for Liverpool.

And 4 league wins for Southampton on the trot in League 1 - I can't remember the last time we had such a run of form! Probably under wee Gordon Strachan when we finished 8th in the Premiership in 2002/03!

Gerrard is out, but Torres plays. For United, Fletch is out, Rooney plays.

United:,VDS O'Shea Rio Vida Evra Valencia Scholes Carrick Giggs Rooney Berba

Liverpool: Reina Johnson Insua Carragher Agger Mascherano Lucas Aurelio Benayoun Kuyt Torres

I am always worried about these games, even though Liverpool is on the ropes while United tops the league. These games does not necessarily reflect current form, so looking at the last few games does not really help.

There are several big rivalries in football in the UK. Most are between neighbours, and others between the top teams in the League. So, in the Premier League, whenever Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd play each other, it is a big game. Then there are the following derbies in the Premiership:

- various London derbies (North: Arsenal vs. Tottenham Hotspurs; South: Chelsea vs. Fulham)

- the midlands derbies (Birmingham City, Aston Villa, Wolverhampton Wanderers)

- the Liverpool derby (Liverpool vs. Everton)

- the Manchester Derby (City vs. Utd)

Other key derbies are:

- Teeside (Newcastle United, Middlesbough and Sunderland)

- Wales (Cardiff City vs. Swansea City)

- various south coast derbies (biggest being Southampton vs. Portsmouth, but includes Brighton & Hove Albion and Bourenmouth)

- other midlands derbies in the lower leagues

As you can see, there are several derbies and games of big rivalry!

Oh, and I liked the fact that Mascherano and Vidic have again been sent off! lol!

Ok, this thread is about EPL, but we simply can not have a talk about rivalries on the British isles without mentioning one from the Scottish PL. United vs Liverpool may be the biggest game, but the most heated must be Rangers vs Celtic. Rangers with their support from Scots,protestants, and maybe not quite middle class, at least fairly well paid working class, Celtic with their support from Irish immigrants, catholics, and the poorest of the poor. Add to the mix that they hsare the same city, and you have the Old Firm. Damn, I still regret I never got the chance to go to one while King Larsson still played for celtic.

• 2 weeks later...

Well then, that should be about it for Benitez. 1-1 against in Lyon means it takes a small miracle to survive the CL group stage, and the league...You know where they are ;D

Elsewhere, Newcastles fans should be quite upset. For 117 years they have followed their team at the classic St. James Park. But from now on, they will get their dose of football at...sportsdirect.com@St James' Park Stadium. Ouch.

Well, selling name rights is nothing new, though most of the time it happens when a club builds a new stadium, and all the time it is done in a way that at least pretends to respect the clubbs history.

The "fun" thing in all this is that the owner of sportsdirect.com has a high position in Newcastle, do not remember if he is the owner or the chairman.

Europa League can be fun this season, Liverpool is very close, Bayern München and OM are in trouble, and while they should get their act together, Barcelona have put themselves in a quite awkward position. Internazionale are not on safe ground either.

Archived