DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Warder bonds, particularly Rand and Alanna

Theleos

So I have a question about Warder Bonds, and more specifically about the bond betwen Rand and Alanna. It has been stated that a Warder dies shortly after his Aes Sedai dies, for various reasons, grief being prominent. We also know it is possible for the Warder to survive his Aes Sedai, if bonded again and given purpose.

Now what I am wondering is how Alanna's death would effect Rand. I find it unlikely he would die, given that he definitely has a strong enough goal to keep going. Would he just become really depressed or would it not effect him that much. I feel that a large component of the Warder's death/grief is the emotional ties to the Aes Sedai.

As I was wondering about this I was also wondering about what would happen if an Aes Sedai bonded a man (not a Channeler) and died like a week later. Would that Warder die? Or would the emotional ties not have developed enough for the Warder to be effected so much? I mean lets take this case to an extreme. If an Aes Sedai bonds a man, maybe even against his will, then dies right afterword, would the Warder even be effected, since he really has no feeling foe the Aes Sedai?

Anyways they were some some questions that have been running through my head so I thought I would throw them up here and see what people thought.

Interestingly enough, RJ stated in a Q&A that the Warder bond could be released, but that an AS would never do that because they would be ridiculed for choosing the wrong man to bond. So, they know how to do it, but they refuse to. Could become important with the Alanna bond and possibly the Elayne/Birgitte bond.

I don't think it would kill him.....though it might drive him insane in his current state.

Right now, the man is trying to be "hard" and that can shatter. he's not "Strong". I hope he learns to be "Strong" soon enough, because I have a feeling someone might take Alanna out. 

Or, it might be what is necessary to shake him into reality....who knows.

If she talked about that warder stuff to me i'd probably cut her off from the source myself.
Given what happens to Warders when their AS is cut off, why is that a good idea, as opposed to suicide?

Now what I am wondering is how Alanna's death would effect Rand.
Well, the effects of the AS's death are physical, and a result of the bond, but Rand notes that Alanna is not so prominent in his mind since his bond to Elayne/Min/Avi, so the effect could well be lessened somewhat.

Strange as this may seem, I agree with Mr. Ares here. *Looks for Lightning forming* Just kidding. Alanna bonded against Rand's will and that has already pissed him off enough with Alanna that his emotions are against her already. Since the other bonding, Alanna is a very small part of him. It will probably still affect him, but it wouldn't be like Lan and Moiraine would have been if Moiraine had not passed the bond. I honestly think that Elayne is going to 'convince' Alanna to get rid of her part of the bond. We haven't had a good catfight for awhile! ;D

I was dumbfounded when Alanna bonded him; the b***h, she had no RIGHT! And it was a dumb thing anyway: I want the Dragon Reborn to feel safe so i can manipulate him.... im going to bond him against his will, without consulting him or my partner, and then we can control him!

Of course, the plan might have worked if Rand was able to be controlled like ordinary Warders. And that is what makes me hate her. If i was Rand i would threaten her until she released the bond, and then either kill or do something suitably nasty to her. She'd deserve it.  ;D

However, if Alanna is given a direct order from the Hall or the Amyrlin Seat for example, she will be forced to release that bond.  It has happened in the past, recall Brigitte's story of an Accepted who bonds a Warder the day before she is due to be raised and is forced to pass that bond to another when it is discovered.

Also, Elyas tells Perrin:

"Most Aes Sedai will free a man who really wants to go — most will — and anyway, she can track you down however far you run if she decides to hunt."

Now, that's from a Warder's perspective, but it's apparent that warders have been released.

My question goes along with this.  If Elyas killed Warders in his escape and is a fugitive from Tower Law, why can Rina not drain his strength enough to catch up with him.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that the AS can actually kill a Warder with the bond. 

Of course, the plan might have worked if Rand was able to be controlled like ordinary Warders. And that is what makes me hate her. If i was Rand i would threaten her until she released the bond, and then either kill or do something suitably nasty to her. She'd deserve it.  ;D

Yeah, but he's Rand.  He'd never kill a woman just because she deserved it...

And personally, I think her inability to manipulate Rand via the Bond plus the fact that he went and got bonded to others is punishment enough.  That bond caused her more problems then it solved.  Especially since it didn't solve any problems...

I agree with this assessment.  Without the warder bond, Rand would not have been able to maintain himself in the box.  

He'd likely have been unable to even maintain the void, which keeping allowed him to break the shield when it was tied off by several of the sisters when they went to join the defense against the Shaido.  That led to him being able to escape.

The other thing that Rand is doing to "punish" Alanna is not allowing her anywhere near him. Remember she lost one of her Warders in the Two Rivers and I believe one of the reasons for her bonding Rand is she's still trying to get over her loss and bonded without thinking. Now, with him reacting so against her and him so powerful that she can't control him has put her in a worse state than if she had left him alone.

Archived