DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Saddest Scene in WOT

Ilyena

Bonzo reminded me of another.

Dumai's Wells in itself was one of the most powerful scenes in LoC for me. The sheer destruction that occurs from the Ashaman is one of the saddest things in that book. Right after Taim gives the Rolling Ring of Earth and Fire command and the Ashaman shred everything in their path, the description is just so awful I never forgot it.

On a side note, Moghedien mentioned this Rolling Ring of Earth and Fire earlier in LoC. Perhaps more of an example that Demandred or another Forsaken has been tampering with Taim.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bonzo reminded me of another.

Dumai's Wells in itself was one of the most powerful scenes in LoC for me. The sheer destruction that occurs from the Ashaman is one of the saddest things in that book. Right after Taim gives the Rolling Ring of Earth and Fire command and the Ashaman shred everything in their path, the description is just so awful I never forgot it.

On a side note, Moghedien mentioned this Rolling Ring of Earth and Fire earlier in LoC. Perhaps more of an example that Demandred or another Forsaken has been tampering with Taim.

May? May? Ohhh ho ho, buddy, welcome to the boards. I think you'll find that this possibility has, heh, been addressed once or twice.1 Seriously, welcome, and if you'd like to discuss it, by all means, you should, because it's probably up there with Asmodean's killer as one of the most feverishly debated issues in WOT.

1. a minute2

2. since LOC came out fifteen years ago.

And I agree that the thought of all those charging guys being taken apart by the One Power equivalent of massed FlaK 88 guns, making pretty much everyone, even battle-hardened Aiel, lose their lunch, affected me too.

Plus, since my family's originally from the Soviet Union, I can imagine what it was like for some of my male relatives in 41 and 42.

2. This one might be a little weird for most people but after Dumai's Wells when Rand is going through the Dying Grounds (or something like that) and adding to his list of women not just the ones who fought for him but also against him.

That's not what he was doing.  Rand points out a dead maiden and the WO's point out that, from the cut of her coat, she was not one of those who died for him so he passes by.  He only recites the names of those who died for him and the Shaido Maidens don't fall into that category.

Rand was just making sure that every maiden who did die for him made the list.

I disagree, the whole purpose of the Aes Sedai is that they shouldn't have to be rewarded in any way for their services, they are supposed to be "Servants of all".

Well, servants generally are rewarded for their services.

If a convicted serial killer, mass murderer, rapist and paedophile (which is an example of how they viewed Aes Sedai) saved your fathers life you would have a hard time forgetting what they had done and trusting them, wouldn't you?

I suppose Paitr's hanging was sad when i first read the series, but on the reread i realised that it was the same guy from EotW, and my sad feeling turned to irony.

And Fedwin Morrs death was sad for me, too. Mainly because he had a kids mind and looked so innocent (i dont suppose that would hold if he blew you up during a tantrum, though) but also because earlier in the book Rand promises that Morr would be at the last battle with him in response to Morr saying that he wasn't going mad.

Not all the Shaido were evil or greedy.  Some were just used, and used badly.

The very last sentence of this passage always gets me.

Maeric handed him the stone cube. "You must press the red spot and keep pressing it, no matter what happens, no matter how long it takes for that hole to open. That is the only way out for any of you." Hamal nodded, but Maeric did not even wait for him to say that he would. Hamal would understand. Maeric touched Dyrele’s cheek, careless of how many eyes were on them. "Shade of my heart, you must prepare to put on white." Her hand strayed toward the hilt of her belt knife — she had been a Maiden when she made his wreath — but he shook his head-firmly. "You must live, wife, roofmistress, to hold together what remains." Nodding, she pressed fingers to his cheek. He was astonished; she had always been very reserved in public.

Raising his veil, Maeric shoved one spear high above his head. "Moshaine!" he roared. "We dance!"

Up the slope they followed him, men and Maidens, nearly a thousand strong counting the Brotherless. Perhaps they could be counted among the sept. Up the slope and west; that way lay the nearest and the fewest. Perhaps they might buy enough time, though he did not really believe that. He wondered whether Sevanna had known of this. Ah, the world had grown very strange since Rand al’Thor came. Some things could not change, though. Laughing, he began to sing.

"Wash the spears, while the sun climbs high.

Wash the spears, while the sun falls low.

Wash the spears; who fears to die?

Wash the spears; no one I know!"

Singing, the Moshaine Shaido ran to dance their deaths.

i agree with a few of them...

Ingtar's stand

Perrin returning to EF finding his family dead

Rand putting the something extra in the wine

In Tear when Rand tried to save the young girl

i also thought the one where Perrin approaches Rand after DW finding him sitting and sweating reciting the women's names heart breaking.

i also found Egwene's trip through the ter'angreal in the WT sad when she was with Rand and each time had to abbandon him.

And Fedwin Morrs death was sad for me, too. Mainly because he had a kids mind and looked so innocent (i dont suppose that would hold if he blew you up during a tantrum, though) but also because earlier in the book Rand promises that Morr would be at the last battle with him in response to Morr saying that he wasn't going mad.

Poor auld Fedwin.

The scene where Thom finds Denna dead in bed. Thats sad as when he said she was going to let her perform, she never got the chance to do what she loved and also her death stopped Thom from trying to lead a life away from Rand and all that stuff.

Also when Pevin died never got his revenge.

Aside from a few of the ones mentioned here. I'm suprised nobody has mentioned PoD Chapter 28, Crimsonthorn, where Adeleas is found dead and Vandene bursts into a wail after everyone else leaves with her Warder to guard her in the mourning. I believe here is the passage.

Vandene asked to be left alone with her sister for a few moments, and sat on the floor to cradle Adeleas in her arms before they were out of the door. Jaem, Vandene's gnarled old Warder, was waiting outside with a shivering Kirstian.

Suddenly a wail burst out inside the hut, the full-throated cry of a woman mourning the loss of everything. Nynaeve, of all people, turned to go back, but Lan laid a hand on her arm, and Jaem planted himself before the door with eyes not much warmer than Lan's. There was nothing to do but leave them, Vandene to shriek her pain, and Jaem to guard her in it. And share it, Elayne realized, feeling that knot of emotions in her head that was Birgitte. She shivered, and Birgitte put an arm around her shoulders. Aviendha did the same from the other side, and motioned for Nynaeve to join them, which she did, after a moment. The murder Elayne had thought of so lightly had come, one of their companions was a Darkfriend, and the day suddenly felt cold enough to shatter bones, but there was a warmth in the closeness of her friends.

This chapter gets me everytime, as well Perrins family and Moiraines death.

Is it just me, or when do you get the feeling when reading that passage that Rand has somehow, Redeemed him?

Forgiven him of his sins, if you will. Is Rand being the Creator here? Some effect of the Dragon Reborn?

Redeemed who? Pevin? Pevin didn't really have any sins, he was just emotionally scarred from losing his entire family to civil war and Shaido.

Not Pevin sorry, the post came way earlier in the thread than I remembered. Should've quoted!

I'm talking about Ingtar. It's all very well to be Ta'veren and being a super powerful chaneller, but if this dude is sent by the pattern to balance evil, does he not have some sort of divinity to combat the dark one's taint?

IE is the Dragon just taveren and channeling, or is there something else in him that makes him special? If not, in theory, any old channelling male taveren could be Dragon, if they increased thier 'powers'(impossible I know, just conjencture here) to the level of Rand/LTT.

Ta'veren is part of it, as well as strength, but Rand, and to some extent LTT, is the Lights champion reborn, he (possibly she at some point) is reborn to combat the shadow, and is called different things, this time it was the dragon who broke the world, and so everyone came to fear him reborn, so rand is the Dragon Reborn. a name that humans have stuck on him, in the next turning of the wheel, rands soul will be reborn as the next champion (although it is almost certain that the first one always screws up somehow so a second one will be reborn in the third age) Presumably it is always a powerful channeler, but maybe not.

Archived