DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Saddest Scene in WOT

Ilyena

when berelain comes back into play (jk  ;D)

moraines death and Perrins family are neck & neck.  with this last read through, Perrins Family is top of the list

the first time i read the series, i cried while Rand read her letter.

on my 2nd read through (this one) i cried when Perrin went back to the two rivers, but not with Moraine (and i think thats because i know she's comming back)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Delvoire! I'd forgotten about the scene with Tam, but you are right--his heartbreak at Tam's words, and then his struggle to find someone who can help him--first Nynaeve, then the Mayor, then Moiraine.

Yes that is one of the most emotional scenes in the books.

i thought it was sad when rand was in Rhuidean when we heard about the aiel at Tzora. Where they where trying to get there friend to stop killing them by linking arms and singing.  I thought this was the saddest part, i mean you have a group of people who can do nothing to stop there friend from killing them and watching there other friends die trying.  TSR-the dedicated (300hb)

i thought it was sad when rand was in Rhuidean when we heard about the aiel at Tzora. Where they where trying to get there friend to stop killing them by linking arms and singing.  I thought this was the saddest part, i mean you have a group of people who can do nothing to stop there friend from killing them and watching there other friends die trying.  TSR-the dedicated (300hb)

I got goosebumps when remembering that scene.

Rand knowing he should mourn at Moiraines death, but not being able to. The fact that he ended up crying without realising drove home even more how Rand had distanced from himself.

The Rhuidian flashback when Rand get to see from the eyes of one of the leaders of the Jenn Aiel, right after all his children and his wife has been slayn by bandits is kinda strong aswell.

And when the three jenn Aiel rescues the two girls who has been taken by bandits. That one kinda got to me when they returned after killing the bandits and the little "apathic" girl who hadnt spoken before then, said that her brother killed the bad men. Suddenly his mother and his grandfather went ice cold on him there, and turned their backs.

The Rhuidian flashback when Rand get to see from the eyes of one of the leaders of the Jenn Aiel, right after all his children and his wife has been slayn by bandits is kinda strong aswell.

And when the three jenn Aiel rescues the two girls who has been taken by bandits. That one kinda got to me when they returned after killing the bandits and the little "apathic" girl who hadnt spoken before then, said that her brother killed the bad men. Suddenly his mother and his grandfather went ice cold on him there, and turned their backs.

I remember that scene because I always had thought the black veil was some made-of-awesome badass move the Aiel did. Then I read this:

“Who are you that addresses me so? Hide your face from me, stranger. I had a son, once, with a face like that. I do not wish to see it on a killer.”

And I realized why every single Aiel veils before any killing. Because this memory was seared into their bones, even if they did not know it.

My top three in order.

1) The Aiel linking arms and singing to try restoring sanity to their crazed friend and he kills every last one of them.

2) Someshta dying in TEotW combined with Rand's memories of him in Rhuidean.

3) Ingtar's last stand, though it was just as awesome as sad.

These are all pretty good.  A couple more that got me were

-thinking Thom died at Whitebridge

-hearing about all the water way people killing themselves

-the sinking village in KOD

Renna's death was not so sad, but dissapointing, I thought.  I didn't really like her, but I thought more would come of her character.  I guess I was thinking she'd meet Egwene again.

Rand dragging Tam back to Edmond's field after he's been cut by a trolloc blade was the best for me.  Him learning he's not Tam's son, and worrying that Tam is going to die.  Then he can't get help from Nyneave so he goes to the mayor, but no one can do anything.

That was a powerful scene.  Very powerful.

Rand dragging Tam back to Edmond's field after he's been cut by a trolloc blade was the best for me.  Him learning he's not Tam's son, and worrying that Tam is going to die.  Then he can't get help from Nyneave so he goes to the mayor, but no one can do anything.

See, this whole scene resolves by having Moiraine spend herself to heal Tam. Which, frankly, reinforces how the Two Rivers boys, but especially Rand, are utter jerkholes to her. I get that Rand's ticked about the whole using him thing, but the woman saved his father from certain death. I might not let her leash me, but I'd sure as hell at least take her suggestions seriously.

See, this whole scene resolves by having Moiraine spend herself to heal Tam. Which, frankly, reinforces how the Two Rivers boys, but especially Rand, are utter jerkholes to her. I get that Rand's ticked about the whole using him thing, but the woman saved his father from certain death. I might not let her leash me, but I'd sure as hell at least take her suggestions seriously.

I disagree, the whole purpose of the Aes Sedai is that they shouldn't have to be rewarded in any way for their services, they are supposed to be "Servants of all".

I remember that scene because I always had thought the black veil was some made-of-awesome badass move the Aiel did. Then I read this:

“Who are you that addresses me so? Hide your face from me, stranger. I had a son, once, with a face like that. I do not wish to see it on a killer.”

And I realized why every single Aiel veils before any killing. Because this memory was seared into their bones, even if they did not know it.

actually never made that connection, thanks :)

Rand has also grown up believing that Aes Sedai are one step removed from the Dark One.  She saved his father's life and he's grateful, but its hard to trust someone when you're taught that the price will be higher than you can ever imagine.

Not to mention everyone and their mother telling you not to trust and Aes Sedai.

And the father and son that tried to rescue Morgase from the whitecloaks...

Are you talking about the servant guy and his 'uncle'? Who were Darkfriends? :o  I can't think of any others who tried to save Morgase... and they definately were Darkfriends, cos the boy was the guy who Mat or Rand punched in a little village somewhere if I remember correctly.

My heart went out to Galad when he confronted Valda, though it wasn't really sad but it still stuck with me. Similar thing when Mat found out about Tylin. Or when Rand tries to make Elayne a flower in the Stone of Tear, but can't grasp the source, I thought it was a nice touch him leaving her a flower when they finally meet though.

Perrin returning to Emonds Field of course, but also when Mat and Aviendha 'died' are the saddest for me!

It's possible that I'm just disgustingly cold, but I found Perrin's return to the Two Rivers really annoying, not sad at all.  Every time I read it I think about skipping forward.

I mean, in three and a half books he never ONCE mentions even having a family.  You don't even know if he has one, he only ever talks about Master Luhhan, who is in fact still around.  Seriously, I thought Perrin was adopted by Master Luhhan before this scene...

Re-read the part ofThe Fires of Heaven leading up to, and including the scene at the docks last night, and knowing (of course) how it was going to turn out made it even more poignant, especially Moiraine's point of view in the chapters leading to it.  It made me resolve to savour every last nuance of the remaining books, as there's not doubt that it's all in there.  Great writing.

I have vowed to take as much time as I can to read the last books.  Usually I am so excited to get a new volume I tear through it and therefore don't really pick anything up until the second or third re-read.  This time I'm taking a week and I'm going to plod my way through at a leisurely pace, really enjoy it.

Remember i really disliked what Padan Fain did to that darkfriend and her son somewhere in the books, or have i dreamt that up lol? And the father and son that tried to rescue Morgase from the whitecloaks...

Paitr and his "uncle" were darkfriends (Paitr was one of the darkfriends drawn to the dagger in TEotW and one of the whitecloaks mentions busting in on them doing some rite to the Dark One) so I found their hanging ironic but not sad.

All of these have been very good and have reminded me of a couple others.

1. The Green Man dying to save the party from B- Forsaken. Isanga'r, I won't try to spell his original name. Then Loial singing to keep the Green Man and his meadow from ever being taken over by the Blight.

2. This one might be a little weird for most people but after Dumai's Wells when Rand is going through the Dying Grounds (or something like that) and adding to his list of women not just the ones who fought for him but also against him.

3. The trips Nynaeve, and Egwene take through the arches. Especially Egwene's. Even though they are only 'dreams' or whatever you want to call them. Sometimes those things can scar worse than physical pain.

The scene that always got to me was Olver showing Mat his possesions in LoC. The poor kid had nothing but clothes and things only a child would value, and nothing else in the world.

Mat was never one of my favorites until this scene but became my most favorite when it was over. It may be more touching the sad but it always bust my up on rereads. 

Archived