DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Saddest Scene in WOT

Ilyena

Hey Guys,

I've been feeling melodramatic this week and (after watching a particularly good episode of Glee) have decided to ask one of the ultimate questions:

What is the saddest scene, to you, in this series?

For me it was back when Rand was reading Moiraine's letter right after she died one the docks. When he started crying and didn't realize it until the maiden told him... omg.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Community Administrator

I think one of the saddest (not THE saddest) scenes is when Perrin and Faile come back to the Two Rivers and Perrin finds out his family is dead.  He tries to shrug it off (like a man) and then Faile forces him to face his emotions.  I cried so hard when I read this part.  I still cry when I reread it.  It's so sad, but great that Perrin didn't loose his humanity like others have.

~Mashiara

I would have to say Perrin's return to Emond's Field and finding his entire family gone. Your scene is a very sad one to, but it can't match up to your family. All Perrin ever wanted to do was go home. He never once wanted glory and always have stated that he's 'nothing more than a blacksmith'.  :(

Surprised no one's mentioned the Prologue to the Eye of the World.

I wasn't emotionally invested in the series at the point when I first read that. I was more like "Oooook. This guy's obviously crazy, and who is this evil seeming guy messing with him?". Now when I read it, of course I get sort of sad, but I think it's too early to be really one of the heart-wrenching ones like Perrin and his family.

The Red Wedding. Without a doubt.

... oh, wait. Wrong series.

There havn't been too many really sad scenes--I agree with the ones listed here. I also found Rolan's death pretty tragic, and whatshisface. The philosopher.

There havn't been too many really sad scenes--I agree with the ones listed here. I also found Rolan's death pretty tragic, and whatshisface. The philosopher.

Ha, first thing I thought of too.  And Eddie Dean's scene in the DT series.  Anyway, sorry for going OT.

There are a few that, while smaller and less bloody, I would rank at least equal to the RW.

Tyrion's last meeting with Jaime, and the revelation there, as well as his last scene with Shae; I'd say those were pretty heartbreaking. When is the little guy ever going to catch a break?

And the last "You know nothing, Jon Snow."  :'(

That's the reason why I find Ingtar's last scene so sad. It's on a personal level that bites hard. The whole book he's been overzealous but amazingly loyal. He's actually Rand's friend, not soldier or companion in the way that Rand now has literally millions. And to find out that he was a Darkfriend? There were few *wham* moments like that in the next nine books. Even his reason for turning his coat was heart rending, because we know full well that he's right, that no one seems to give a damn in the South if Shienar is overrun in its struggle with the Blight.

Every time I see this, I can't help but tear up. In fact, it was what I posted on another board after learning of RJ's demise. I still don't think he's written anything as moving as this epitaph.

After a time, Ingtar spoke again, firmly. "There has to be a price, Rand. There is always a price. Perhaps I can pay it here."

"Ingtar, I - ”

"It is every man's right, Rand, to choose when to Sheathe the Sword. Even one like me."

Before Rand could say anything, Hurin came running down the alley. "The patrol turned aside," he said hurriedly, "down into the town. They seem to be gathering down there. Mat and Perrin went on." He took a quick look down the street and pulled back. "We'd better do the same, Lord Ingtar, Lord Rand. Those bug-headed Seanchan are almost here."

"Go, Rand," Ingtar said. He turned to face the street and did not look at Rand or Hurin again. "Take the Horn where it belongs. I always knew the Amyrlin should have given you the charge. But all I ever wanted was to keep Shienar whole, to keep us from being swept away and forgotten."

"I know, Ingtar." Rand drew a deep breath. "The Light shine on you, Lord Ingtar of House Shinowa, and may you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand." He touched Ingtar's shoulder. "The last embrace of the mother welcome you home." Hurin gasped.

"Thank you," Ingtar said softly. A tension seemed to go out of him. For the first time since the night of the Trolloc raid on Fal Dara, he stood as he had when Rand first saw him, confident and relaxed. Content.

Rand turned and found Hurin staring at him, staring at both of them. "It is time for us to go."

"But Lord Ingtar - "

" - does what he has to," Rand said sharply. "But we go." Hurin nodded, and Rand trotted after him.

Rand could hear the steady tread of the Seanchan's boots, now. He did not look back.

(The Great Hunt, To Come out of the Shadow)

I don't know why, but WoT doesn't tie me up emotionally like most series do.  I love this series, but it seems more a story than a group of realistic characters going through a journey that you can really bond with.  Moiraine's letter would have made me sad, but as a faithful optimistic when it comes to fantasy characters, I just assumed she'd be back eventually (And who was right? :P).

Now if some major chars were to die, I'd be pretty sad.  Min especially would be heartwrenching.  Also gotta agree that LTT's prologue section is sad on the rereads and the little girl in the stone of tear that Rand tries to heal.  I know alot of people will be thinking "wtf...that was sadistic, not sad.", but I thought it was.  However, I've never cried for a book, although I have come close with other series.

not gut wrenching, but a sombre, sad scene nonetheless was the moment that tam was confirmed to about rand being the DR.

one of perrins best scenes for many books.......

'is it true'

'nothing doing now tam'.....(or words to that effect)

very very well written.

and those random people being slayed for swords near mount dhoom...for some reason, it just gets to me...the hopelessness of their situation.

Re-read the part ofThe Fires of Heaven leading up to, and including the scene at the docks last night, and knowing (of course) how it was going to turn out made it even more poignant, especially Moiraine's point of view in the chapters leading to it.  It made me resolve to savour every last nuance of the remaining books, as there's not doubt that it's all in there.  Great writing.

The Aielman who killed a wetlander because of his tatoos is abit sad aswell, the fact that Rand who likes the man, still have to order him hanged. That noone does it for him, but that people instead of doing it, makes Rand emotionally involved in the decision to stay true to his words, face to face with the man.

Ahhh, I just remembered a BIG WTF moment, that was very sad for about 15 minutes... in FoH right after you think Moiraine died, Rand goes off to fight Rahvin...

And Avi, Mat and Asmodean die. Didn't care as much about Asmodean but when Rand saw Avi and it was described as "she could have been sleeping"...

I honestly had to reread that scene about 3 times before accepting their deaths, only to have them come back like 10 pages later :P

Archived