DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

After the Last Battle

Wit Congar

It's certainly not a conjunction, determiner, or an adverb.

"Something was odd about that, though," is a complete thought.

"Something" is also an unspecified reference as it is a pronoun. "Was odd" is the verb phrase and "that" is the pronoun subject. "Though" is an adverb.

I won't go into the other problems with your grammatical analysis.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The subject is just unclear. The phrase "complete thought" is pretty meaningless when you get down to the heart of it. There is grammatically correct and grammatically clear. The sentence in question is one, not the other.

Edit: I love these arguments. :D

A semi-colon is used to separate two complete thoughts. If it can be used and maintain grammatical correctness, then the two bits separated by the semi-colon are complete thoughts independent of one another. The semi-colon would be used to clarify any unclear references, hopefully.

In "Four of them at once; something was odd about that, though," "that" is made clear by the use of the semi-colon while "them" remains unclear. Unfortunately, having "though" at the end sounds a bit wonky to me. I'm not quite sure if its use is grammatically incorrect, though.

In "Aviendha would have Rand's babies, too; something was odd about that, though," you have the two sentences ending in an adverb, which is double the wonkiness mentioned above.

Hmm.... I'm going through this in my head and I'm having problems sorting all of this nonsense out. Ah well.

The sentence was next to "four of them at once", not next to "Aviendha would have Rand's babies, too".  And the sentence said "about that, though" not "about that first thing, though".

Generally pronouns refer to last noun reference.

First of all, the word "that" is not a pronoun.  It is a subordinating conjunction.

Lets bring the text back for review.

Aviendha would have Rand's babies, too. Four of them at once! Something was odd about that, though. The babies would be healthy, but still something odd.

"Something was odd about that, though," is not a complete thought.  The phrase "Four of them at once!" is an interjection into the structure of one unified thought, which in formal language (rather than a stream of consciousness) would have been written as one sentence, namely, "Aviendha would have Rand's babies, too; something was odd about that though."  The thought is not complete in this form: "Four of them at once; something was odd about that though."  In order for the thought to be complete, it must contain the first phrase, which is the only sentence of the first three which is a self-contained thought, formulated to the point where it can be coherently referenced by other phrases.

Ok.  The oddness probably does apply to the conception.

I lean more towards resurrection than towards staying in Telaranrhiod.  The Aelfinn prophecy seems to indicate resurrection (If you would live, you must die); also the Dark Prophecy (Two roads before him, one to death beyond dying, one to life eternal).

Also, conception with a resurrected body might be as odd as with a Telaranrhiod body if not more so; since we do not know much about Light-sided resurrection.

I've learned to ignore mb for my own sake. He/she's a troll, IMO.
I think you might be giving too much credit.

-head explodes-
What a mess. I hope you're going to clean this up now?

Aviendha would have Rand's babies, too. Four of them at once! Something was odd about that, though. The babies would be healthy, but still something odd.

Slap me silly if this theory has already been shot down in flames, but could the something odd not refer to the following: When the 3 girls bonded Rand, Elayne said something along the lines of "the weave included: what happened to one, happened to all". Right after that she fell pregnant with twins by Rand. Maybe Aviendha also fell pregnant with twins? Of course, that doesn't explain why Min didn't  :P

I know - I'm reaching  ;D

Slap me silly if this theory has already been shot down in flames, but could the something odd not refer to the following: When the 3 girls bonded Rand, Elayne said something along the lines of "the weave included: what happened to one, happened to all". Right after that she fell pregnant with twins by Rand. Maybe Aviendha also fell pregnant with twins? Of course, that doesn't explain why Min didn't  :P

So it's possible to transmit sperm through a Warder bond?

I think you might be giving too much credit.

Light, I don't want to think of the alternative, Ares. Don't scare me like that!

No, multiple Warder bonds induces parthenogenesis.

So Aviendha is one of those new-fangled ants (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7998931.stm) everyone has been talkin' about?

So it's possible to transmit sperm through a Warder bond?

No, multiple Warder bonds induces parthenogenesis.

Exactly! Some people just didn't get the lecture about the birds and the bees, did they? *angel face*

Could it mean that Elayne dies and Avienda takes Elayne's babies as her own, in addition to her own twins. That would make it a little odd. That's what I've always thought Min's vision meant. Elayne's death has been forshadowed, in my opinion -- all those references to the great Queens of Andor who led troops into battle, and Elayne's remark to Mat about how she will have to save him someday. I think Elayne is a goner in the next books, but she'll go out in a glorious fashion.

Issue with this is Nicola's Foretelling.  Unless Rand 'dies' pre-Last Battle, then all three girls have to be around post-LB, as they will be on a boat with his body and so on.  'The Lion Sword, the Dedicated Spear, She Who Sees Beyond' or however the propehcy went.

I think the most likely thing is he takes over Moridin's body and Aviendha's bebes are with Moridin's body and not his own.

I think the most likely thing is he takes over Moridin's body and Aviendha's bebes are with Moridin's body and not his own.

That would definitely fulfill the odd part of things. About Nicola's foretelling...it doesn't specifically mention a dead body...But I guess I'm reaching too...

Could it mean that Elayne dies and Avienda takes Elayne's babies as her own, in addition to her own twins.

Only if Elayne would die at pretty much the same moment as Avi gives birth, since the viewing is that Avi gets fourkids at the same time. And while  it in theory could happen, I would certainly not make any bets on it...

If Rand survives the last battle he won't be able to go back to ruling a farm. He's bonded to a queen and will likely marry her in the event of a victory. In response to a post way back on page 2 before this became a grammar lesson. Now that he's had a taste of adventure he might be too restless on a quiet farm, too. It'd be better for the story overall if he died, though.

He's bonded to a queen and will likely marry her in the event of a victory.

Rand will marry her, but we do not when.  Various prophecies tell so. (Min's Viewing, Great Hunt Chapter 24; Aviendha's trip through Rhuidean's three arches, told in Crossroads of Twilight Chapter 10; Viewing of the three becoming in love with Rand)

Mat (I believe) once made a quote that heroes are shoved into a corner and are only taken out when they're need and then shoved back into that corner. After Rand does what he is meant to do, if he succeeds or survives, the world will want nothing to do with him. He will be a constant reminder of the past, the previous age, and the iron-hand he ruled with. Perrin, Mat, Egwene, Elayne, and Tuon are going to have the most impact on the Post-Tarmon Gai'don world.

If Rand survives, he'll most likely stay on a farm with Min or possibly in the Aiel Waste with both Aviendha and Min. Also, Elayne doesn't have to have her consort with her. As she herself stated, the less people that know of her twin's paternity, the more safe they are. You can already tell that Rand is getting fed up with ruling and the short-sightedness of nobles by his constant anger towards them. Mattin Stepaneos or Lord Gregorin will most likely be King of Illian after Rand. Each of the nations that are under his sway already have leaders ready to take control, so he does not need to worry about civil wars.

Archived