DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

After the Last Battle

Wit Congar

Mat (I believe) once made a quote that heroes are shoved into a corner and are only taken out when they're need and then shoved back into that corner.

There is not a quote that says that in the books.  The closest to it would be when Birgitte told Nynaeve that the Heroes stay in Telaranrhiod in between spinnings (Shadow Rising Chapter 52); that is also the place where the Heroes come from when the Horn is sounded.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mat (I believe) once made a quote that heroes are shoved into a corner and are only taken out when they're need and then shoved back into that corner.

There is not a quote that says that in the books.  The closest to it would be when Birgitte told Nynaeve that the Heroes stay in Telaranrhiod in between spinnings (Shadow Rising Chapter 52); that is also the place where the Heroes come from when the Horn is sounded.

Mat was not referencing "Heroes" as in "Heroes of the Horn." He was referencing heroes as those who are protectors and saviors of the people if you understand what I'm saying. What he's saying is that people only want their heroes when they need them and as soon as the danger is gone, they're put back into that corner.

Like what happened with Artur Hawkwing, as soon is the problem is dealt with (Tarmon Gai'don) most of those in power (nobility) won't want Rand to still be in power.

Mat was not referencing "Heroes" as in "Heroes of the Horn." He was referencing heroes as those who are protectors and saviors of the people if you understand what I'm saying. What he's saying is that people only want their heroes when they need them and as soon as the danger is gone, they're put back into that corner.

Like what happened with Artur Hawkwing, as soon is the problem is dealt with (Tarmon Gai'don) most of those in power (nobility) won't want Rand to still be in power.

There is not a quote that says that in the books.  The closest to it would be when Birgitte told Nynaeve that the Heroes stay in Telaranrhiod in between spinnings

Actually, a very close sentiment is found in Mat's PoV in TFoH ch 51

Hero!  He was no hero!  What did a hero get?  An Aes Sedai patting you on the head before she sent you out like a hound to do it again.  A noblewoman condescending to favor you with a kiss, or laying a flower on your grave.

The idea is that people will either use their heroes up, or be happy to honor them when they're dead, but no one wants a real live hero around mucking up the works when he or she isn't out saving the world.

It has nothing to do with the Heroes of the Horn.

Ok. I understand now.

I read a theory some where that Rand might not be able to channel anymore if he lives. Maybe whats odd about her babys is they can't channel either. I read it years ago so my memory might be wrong. Also some time in the next age all channeling might disapear if it's is supposed to turn into our world.

I agree with what everyone said about everybody else.

I read a theory some where that Rand might not be able to channel anymore if he lives. Maybe whats odd about her babys is they can't channel either. I read it years ago so my memory might be wrong. Also some time in the next age all channeling might disapear if it's is supposed to turn into our world.

I agree with what everyone said about everybody else.

That's not really odd about his children. The vast majority of people can't channel so that's pretty normal.

I think Rand not being able to channel wouldn't be too much of a stretch though. It actually make sense really.

After the last battle who is to say that the Aiel will go back to the waste? Doesnt the Aiel prophecies say that the Lord of the Morning will lead us from the three-fold land, and take us to our rightful place again or some such. I think the Aes Sedai will go back to the ancient symbol (with half the tower being black and half of it being white). Perrin will recreate manetheren, one of failes younger sisters will take over the borderlands. Mat will take the band and reconquer Seanchan with Tuon. Lan will rebuild Malkier. maybe the odd thing is that the babies will be concieved at Shayol Ghul (or somewhere in the blight) after the last battle. BTW I believe rand will survive by allowing LTT soul to finally 'die' as much as it can and that by LTT's soul being sacraficed the Bore will be almost fully repaired but detectable to any who search thus allowing the cycle to continue

I believe they say something like that but the Aiel don't call Rand the Lord of Morning. If the Aiel do stay west of the Dragonwall, that would probably mean they return to their origins and the Way of the Leaf.

doesnt car'a'carn (or however it appears) mean lord of the morning in the old toungue

It means "lord of lords".

car=lord

a=of

carn=lords

We do not know the Old Tongue equivalent of morning.

I always thought that Rand would become a beggar after the last battle.  I know weird.  But here's why. First off, Min's viewing in tEotW about a beggars staff.  I haven't seen anything in any of the following books that links Rand with a beggar. Secondly, you have his answer about how to live after the last battle, for you to live you must die.  So he'll live but no one will wants a pesky Dragon running around.  He served his purpose, who would follow him?  That makes me think he'll go into hiding supported by Ewgwens Dream.  The Dream with Rand in a funeral pry, with Logain stepping over him and Rand shattering. Which makes me think it was an illusion done by inverted web. That makes a funeral pyre quite nice really, no body.  Also, that explains the weird prophecy.  Rand Al'Thor, The Dragon, Lord of the Morning, and King of Illian will fake his own death and he'll become some one else entirely severing all his old ties,  will be dead. But he would be living still.  And lastly Rand himself.  Hes not really in shape to do much any more. Look at the guy, hes got one hand, and nearly blind, with two holes in his side. And of course he's crazy.  I mean even if some how he's healed from being insane, the guy just really isn't up to do much.  He can't plan out battles any more, you have to see the maps to know where the troops are or at least the field of battle,  he can't wield a sword with one hand.  Yah he can channel, but its mentioned several times that you need to see in order to channel to any degree.  I mean if he can't lead men any more, can't channel, can't wield the sword, what other skills does he have?  He can go back to being a farmer, but he's blind and only has one hand. Would be rather hard.  And being a beggar seems like a good way to hide who he used to be.

Ya, I know its kind of a lame explanation for you to live you must die prophecy.  I would much rather it be something really freaken cool, just off the top of my head, like somehow Rand dies fighting Do and Elayne and Avendia get super pissed link go on a rampage and Balefires the DO while doing some back flips, eh that seems like a stretch... maybe just somersaults.

Just wondering, whats with these threads about Avenedia doing it with Rand in the world of dreams?  Can't they just do it the old fashioned way? Like in the backseat of a car?

Sorry if I offended someone by misspelling any names; its 5 am.

Archived