DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

60 year old blademaster fight

I dont think Tam will have a chanse anymore. Remember, he hanvent used the sword for 20-22 years at all (exept the little fight against Trollocs in his home in the first book). Tam is far better with the bow.

dont think Tam will have a chanse anymore. Remember, he hanvent used the sword for 20-22 years at all (exept the little fight against Trollocs in his home in the first book). Tam is far better with the bow.

As a good soldier and tactician Tam would shoot Lan when he was several hundred feet away using the Bow thus not permitting Lan to use his superior Sword skills

I would want to see a fight between lan and tam. who else would? i think i would find it good because they could alternately attack each other and then yell at the teenagers to get off their lawn

Lan all the way.

I wish we could have had a comparison between Lan and pre-stump Rand.

dont think Tam will have a chanse anymore. Remember, he hanvent used the sword for 20-22 years at all (exept the little fight against Trollocs in his home in the first book). Tam is far better with the bow.

As a good soldier and tactician Tam would shoot Lan when he was several hundred feet away using the Bow thus not permitting Lan to use his superior Sword skills

Yepp he would, but the topic was about swordmasters, and i dont think Tam have a chanse with the sword anymore. Maby 20 years ago, but not now. BTW, is Lan a swordmaster?

I dont think Tam will have a chanse anymore. Remember, he hanvent used the sword for 20-22 years at all (exept the little fight against Trollocs in his home in the first book). Tam is far better with the bow.

Actually, that was not the latest; he trained Aram. (Shadow Rising Chapter 45 & Lord of Chaos Prologue)

I would take Lan with a blade against any blademaster we've seen in the books.  Not only does he have great natural ability, impeccable training, and more experience than just about anyone living, but he has the extra stamina of a Warder, the utter lack of fear that comes with basically being dead inside, and a will that was raw iron before he ever met Moiraine, and has become the best tempered steel since.

I'm not talking Tam down at all ... the man is dangerous.  Lan is just that scary.

Actually, that was not the latest; he trained Aram. (Shadow Rising Chapter 45 & Lord of Chaos Prologue)

And he was in the forefront of the fighting, and likely crossed blades with myrddraal. However Lan is still more fearsome.

I would take Lan with a blade against any blademaster we've seen in the books.  Not only does he have great natural ability, impeccable training, and more experience than just about anyone living, but he has the extra stamina of a Warder, the utter lack of fear that comes with basically being dead inside, and a will that was raw iron before he ever met Moiraine, and has become the best tempered steel since.

I'm not talking Tam down at all ... the man is dangerous.  Lan is just that scary.

I think Lan should wear pink playboy bunny ears into battle, just to balance out that description a bit.

I would take Lan with a blade against any blademaster we've seen in the books. Not only does he have great natural ability, impeccable training, and more experience than just about anyone living, but he has the extra stamina of a Warder, the utter lack of fear that comes with basically being dead inside, and a will that was raw iron before he ever met Moiraine, and has become the best tempered steel since.

I'm not talking Tam down at all ... the man is dangerous. Lan is just that scary.

I think Lan should wear pink playboy bunny ears into battle, just to balance out that description a bit.

I think that would make Lan more scary, not less.

i couldnt have said it better so i just quoted RAW instead :P

don't know whether Lan is an official blademaster, after all he has that soldier's sword that he says became something else but he is most definately a blademaster.

He is. There are two ways to become a Blademaster. Kill one in a duel or by vote of unanimous decision by a group/council of BM's.

From wot.wikia.com:

"To date, all known blademasters are male.

Blademasters are formally recognized as such in the Westlands when one of two things occurs: either they defeat a known blademaster in single combat with appropriate witnesses, or they are judged by a sufficient number of blademasters (5), via unanimous vote, to have demonstrated sufficient skill.

A blademaster may decorate their sword with a heron mark although it is not demanded of them. They seem to master certain named forms that are used, almost like a dance. This is thought to be an adaptation of the game swords which was played in the Age of Legends. "

Lan killed a blademaster in Far Madding ( Toram Riatin), just before Rand was captured, in WH. That is also how Rand became a Blademaster- by killing the Seanchan BM in (I believe it was) TDR...too lazy to confirm, but we all know who i'm talking about.

As for Lan's sword not having a heron on it. In the beginning of The Great Hunt, Lan explains about Power wrought blades. About how in the War of Power, generals got the swords with herons on them. He then goes on to explain the irony that the sword of the king of Malkier was a Power wrought sword of a common soldier (from the War of Power). The fact that its power wrought and therefore cannot be etched on, combined that he is not a man of symbols or trophy's and wouldn't want to mark his birthright explains why his sword displays no heron.

What does it mean to be an "official" blademaster?  Is there some high-muckety-muck Order of Blademasters somewhere?  I sure haven't read about them.  I know Jordan gave those requirements, but is someone in Randland keeping a list or something?  If they were in the relative peace before the books, I doubt that they are anymore.

The only point that makes a difference to me is that two-handed Rand and Lan both can kill you, with a quickness.  I would have to chuckle at someone who challenges Lan and says:

"Ha!! You're not an OFFICIAL Blademaster, I bet I can ..." -head chopped off-.

don't know whether Lan is an official blademaster, after all he has that soldier's sword that he says became something else but he is most definately a blademaster.

He is. There are two ways to become a Blademaster. Kill one in a duel or by vote of unanimous decision by a group/council of BM's.

From wot.wikia.com:

"To date, all known blademasters are male.

Blademasters are formally recognized as such in the Westlands when one of two things occurs: either they defeat a known blademaster in single combat with appropriate witnesses, or they are judged by a sufficient number of blademasters (5), via unanimous vote, to have demonstrated sufficient skill.

Lan killed a blademaster in Far Madding ( Toram Riatin), just before Rand was captured, in WH. That is also how Rand became a Blademaster- by killing the Seanchan BM in (I believe it was) TDR...too lazy to confirm, but we all know who i'm talking about.

Lan also killed a darkfriend blademaster in New Spring. But he was likely already recognized via judges. After all he was brought up in the court of Fal Moran, the capital of Shienar, where he was taught the blade.

Archived