DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Another frustrating bit...

trakand_01

I'm plodding my way through book 11, and yesterday I read the bit where Galina meets Perrin, after Gaul and Neald capture her.

Now, Berelain mentions Annoura, and the other two AS in the camp (... Masuri and Seonid?) but for obvious reasons Galina says she doesnt want to meet them.

For me, this is another frustrating bit. Firstly, of course Perrin knew Alyse was a fake name - it's the name Moiraine used to use. Secondly, Annoura is rarely not present when Berelain is in meetings like this - what are the chances that THIS TIME she's not there? Its all a bit too coincidental for me. A bit too frustrating.

Also, someone asked in a different thread about how Verin seemed to understand about Perrin and the wolves, without actually talking to him about it. Not too difficult, Galina sees his eyes, and hears him talk about 'Wolves howling in daylight' and puts two and two together immediately (although she doesnt actually say she understands but the POV seems to suggest she understands).

No real discussion to be had here, I dont think, just frustrating that of all the AS to 'get away' from Perrin, it has to be Galina.

I then went on to read about Katerine etc taking Egwene to the tower after her capture at the end of book 10.

Please... tell me she gets in with Searin etc? That would just be too annoying for words too!

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

No real discussion to be had here, I dont think, just frustrating that of all the AS to 'get away' from Perrin, it has to be Galina.

Ahhh... but that assumes she doesn't pay for what she does. Without spoiling it, she gets her comeuppance, and in a much more satisfying way than Perrin could deliver it.

But yes, it all sounds a little contrived.

I don't think Perrin realised it was a false name at all. Berelain seemed to, but Perrin certainly missed it.

Annoura not being there makes perfect sense to me, as we see that the relationship between her and Berelain has been deteriating since Perrin told Berelain that Annoura had been meeting with Masema.

The Verin and Katerine questions are answered later in the book, so there's no way to answer without giving away spoilers (however minor they may be).

Yeah don't worry Galina will be punished.  8)

I think Perrin was too focused on rescuing Faile to really wonder about the motives of this one Aes Sedai, he barely paid heed to anything she had to say. Frankly I think there are other things to be more frustrated about then this. *grin*

Also, someone asked in a different thread about how Verin seemed to understand about Perrin and the wolves, without actually talking to him about it.

Doesnt Verin know a lot about the Kareithon (sp?) Cycle? Since Perrin is mentioned in them once, as the Wolf King; it mentions him choosing the hammer over the axe.

My secret ajah theory, yet to gain widespread acceptance, is part of my theories on AS political structure and history during the breaking and secret history of the AS post breaking and pre 3 oaths.

The purple ajah theory is more wide spread.

Yes she did, but considering you dont ask for a piece of paper and a pen when someone asks your name, I doubt that the sound was overly different. Perhaps Galina's version of the name had more of an 'eee' sound to it: Aleees, rather than the typical 'Alice', which is how I pronounce Moiraine's version.

I have wondered though, if Alyse/Alys is a generic name that AS use when trying to conceal themselves, with the intention that any other AS hearing of 'Alys AS' having been there, would have no idea WHICH AS it had actually been, only that it WAS an AS, which is pretty difficult to hide anyway...

What I mean is, Galina obviously didnt want Seonid, Masuri and Annoura to know it was her, but she couldnt conceal she was AS. Rather than say her real name, or say another AS name, she used Alys. Moiraine wanted to stay inconspicuous in Baerlon and Caemlyn, but couldnt conceal she was AS, so she used Alys. Any other AS following after her would be able to find out an AS had been there, but as she was called Alys, wouldnt have the faintest which one it was.

Just a theory.

Doesnt Verin know a lot about the Kareithon (sp?) Cycle? Since Perrin is mentioned in them once, as the Wolf King; it mentions him choosing the hammer over the axe.

Before Verin and Perrin left the two rivers, she asked him when he was going to give up the axe.

I have wondered though, if Alyse/Alys is a generic name that AS use when trying to conceal themselves, with the intention that any other AS hearing of 'Alys AS' having been there, would have no idea WHICH AS it had actually been, only that it WAS an AS, which is pretty difficult to hide anyway...

What I mean is, Galina obviously didnt want Seonid, Masuri and Annoura to know it was her, but she couldnt conceal she was AS. Rather than say her real name, or say another AS name, she used Alys. Moiraine wanted to stay inconspicuous in Baerlon and Caemlyn, but couldnt conceal she was AS, so she used Alys. Any other AS following after her would be able to find out an AS had been there, but as she was called Alys, wouldnt have the faintest which one it was.

Problem with this theory is that if AS usually use Alys to mislead or hide their identity would not Annoura Seonid, and or Masuri why an AS would need or want to mislead Perrin by using an alias? And considering the realities would they not wonder whether said AS was Black? It seems to me if Alys (and any derivation of the name) was actually commenly used by AS Galina would have used another name. Especially since any suspicion as to the real identity of the AS would have led them to ask the simple question of what did this AS look like? Any description offered by Perrin or the others who saw her would have narrowed the search of the AS' true identity to a very small number of candidates and since the possible candidates would be quite limited (not only would all candidates have to meet the description but the number of AS that could have been captured by the Ail was also limited) Galina's identity could have rather easily be guessed.

Moreover, it could simply be that there is one or more  AS who goby Alys (or Alice) that might fit Galina's general description and that was the reason she chose the name.

Might also be simply a matter of Alys and its variants being a common name in Randland. After all, when going under a different name it can perhaps generally be useful not to choose a rare name that would stick out. At least there's two others of the same, the Kinswoman and a maid, according to the encyclopaedia. I doubt Galina could be aware of Moiraine's use of the name, or I doubt she would have chosen it for Perrin, one would expect Galina to be aware of the three ta'veren.

Archived