DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Far, just for you

eclipse0

I'm O Rh+ CMV-

I found out when I was 17 and first able to donate blood. I got a donor's card in the mail from NY State with my blood type on it.

Rh factor is a protein substance present in the red blood cells of most people, capable of inducing intense antigenic reactions... Under ordinary circumstances, the presence or lack of the Rh factor has no bearing on life or health. It is only when the two blood types are mingled in an Rh-negative individual that the difficulty arises, since the Rh factor acts as an antigen in Rh-negative persons, causing the production of antibodies.

United Blood Services maintains a list of donors whose blood is CMV negative. When a patient needs CMV negative blood, a CMV negative donor with the patient's blood type can be called to donate for that patient. Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a common virus carried by more than half of the population. Most people who have the virus never know it and for the average healthy person, CMV does not cause a problem. However, for patients whose immune systems are not functioning properly(premature babies, cancer patients and others who cannot fight infection), CMV can be very serious. Testing for CMV is not required, but some donated units are tested for evidence of the virus when it is necessary to provide blood from donors who have not had CMV.

Guest Far Dareis Mai

I'm A Rh+. I have no idea what CMV is...

When I was 17 I went to go and donate blood, but I was so nervous my blood pressure went too high, and it wouldn't go down far enough to allow them to take from me, so I just never bothered to try after that. Now that I've had kids and have had my blood drawn at least a hundred times, I probably wouldn't mind it, except they have to use butterfly (pediatric) needles in my hands to take the blood, as my veins are hard to use in my arms.  :-\

I'm A Rh+. I have no idea what CMV is...

That's why I quoted it above! :P

Usually they won't tell you when you're positive because it's very rare to be negative. From a receiver point, being positive means you're better off.

they have to use butterfly (pediatric) needles in my hands to take the blood, as my veins are hard to use in my arms.  :-\

Ha ha, yeah I have bad arm veins too.

Funny story about how my parents met.  My dad bartended at the bar around the corner from where my mother attended nursing school. When she went in the bar after school one evening she grabbed him by the arm and said, "Oh my you have such great veins!"

Shendare, the negative in your O- is your Rh factor.

Guest Far Dareis Mai

Well there was a time when they took blood for a procedure a long time ago, and at that time I had heard that I was AB +, but then this pregnancy they asked and I said I wasn't sure, and they told me I was A+...so I'm wondering if I heard wrong back then, lol.

My husband's blood is A -.

Do you happen to know who children's blood goes? Is it the mother's type, or the father's type? Random?

So which blood is it that can only have their own type of blood? O?

I'm aware I can look this stuff up on my own, but then I couldn't give points out for it. ;)

Yep, that pretty much means you're screwed Shen.

I'm O Rh+. Means I can recieve from O positive and O negative only. I can give to all the Plus ones, though.

So basically AB plus is the best because he can recieve any type of blood. Damn him to hell :P

Nyn

I loved doing this type of work in genetics.

Basically everybody's blood has two antigen slots, one from each parent. If you're both A, your children have a 75% chance of being A and a 25% chance of being O.  I'm pretty sure that since your Rh+ that your children should be + too, though I think there's a slight chance they'd be negative.  When the mother and fetus have different  Rh factors, there's a chance for complications, but I think that only happens if you're Rh- and your husband is Rh+

Far, your kids are either A or O, they can't be AB.

It all depends on what you and your husband's recessive genes are. But since both of your dominant genes are A, then there's a 75% chance your kids will be A.

I think that's how it works.

Biology was a while ago.

Guest Far Dareis Mai

Well my mother and my sister were both Rh -, and had to get those really painful shots during their pregnancies, because of the antibodies they built up. I didn't run into that situation (obviously, or I'm sure I would care to know more about it lol).

I loved doing this type of work in genetics.

Basically everybody's blood has two antigen slots, one from each parent. If you're both A, your children have a 75% chance of being A and a 25% chance of being O.  I'm pretty sure that since your Rh+ that your children should be + too, though I think there's a slight chance they'd be negative.  When the mother and fetus have different  Rh factors, there's a chance for complications, but I think that only happens if you're Rh- and your husband is Rh+

Actually, that's not true. The blood type is composed of two alleles. So if you've got blood type A, for instance, you're either AA or Aa. So that would change the probability of getting a kid who's O (which is aa, with the letters i'm using). So basically, if both parents are AA, there's no way they'll get a kid who's O. Unless the mom got frisky with the gardner :P

However, if they're both Aa, then your prediction is right. If one is AA and the other is Aa, then you'd also never get a kid with O blood type.

As for being negative or plus... you can be negative even if both of your parents are plus. It's the whole dominant and recessive thing (as mentioned above). They can both be hetrozygotes to it (and if so there's 25% a chance of the baby being negative).

Well my mother and my sister were both Rh -, and had to get those really painful shots during their pregnancies, because of the antibodies they built up. I didn't run into that situation (obviously, or I'm sure I would care to know more about it lol).

Yep. The situation you're talking about is when the mother is Rh - and the infant is Rh +. At the first pregnancy it's fine because the mother will need time to develop antibodies (which takes time), therefore the infant will be safe. It's in the second pregnancy onward when things get complicated, because then the immune system remembers. So that's when you'd need those shots you spoke of, Far. Otherwise antibodies will cross over with the supply of blood the baby gets from the mother... and erm... that's no good. lol

>.>   What? I did listen a bit in class.  :P

Oh, and if anyone wants to hear about microbial genetics, i've got the goods right here  *lmao*

Nyn

Ahh that was thinking back to bio for me Nyn, good fun that and no I'm not interested in learning about microbial genetics

*laughs* I'm sorry if that sounded like a genuine offer. It wasn't. Just a very sad reality  :-\

And thanks Pandy. You know you're the sexiest beastie ever  :-*

Nyn

Guest Far Dareis Mai

Biology has never been my thing. I always gravitated more toward the Earth Sciences and Astronomy. We had to dissect a pig's fetus in Bio and I threw up on it. I have a very low tolerance to the smell of formaldehyde. Not good. I still got a C grade, even though I didn't finish the experiment. :)

Archived