DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The One Scene You Are Looking Forward To In AMOL

Mighty Chin

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to Rand meeting Tam, as well as the three friends meeting up again. I'm also curious as to how Perrin will feel about Rand upon seeing him again, since the last time he saw him Rand pretty much forced Perrin out of the city... Surely they are still friends, but their reactions might be interesting.

So much I'm looking forward to! ;D

The revealing of the identities of Mesaana and Demandred (and his location)

The Aal/Eelfinn showdown with Mat and friends

The Egwene-Elaida showdown

The Hunt for Delana

What happens to Birgitte once the Horn is sounded again

What happens with the freshly caught Semirhage

Moghedien and Cyndane getting a hold of their cour'souvra's and kicking Moridin from Thank'dar to Seandar (I can dream, can't I?)

What the Ogier do before the Last Battle

Involvement from Shara or the Land of Madmen (once again, dreaming)

Lan collecting his kinsmen on his way to Malkier

I could go on.....

She needs to remember what made Aes Sedai and for that matter what Aes Sedai means.

And that would be what, exactly?

I think he's talking about "Aes Sedai" meaning Servant of All, not Arrogant Manipulator of All.  Though Rand and the Asha'man need to be taken down a few notches too.

She needs to remember what made Aes Sedai and for that matter what Aes Sedai means.

And that would be what, exactly?

I think he's talking about "Aes Sedai" meaning Servant of All, not Arrogant Manipulator of All.  Though Rand and the Asha'man need to be taken down a few notches too.

I know what he meant, I was just curious if writing it down would have raised a thought.

Some people seem very hooked on the whole "Servant of all" thingy. But here is the deal, that was the role the Aes sedai had 3000 years ago, in a society so different from the one Egwene lives in that we are basically not speaking about the same world anymore.

It is all fine and dandy to walk around being servant of all when you live in a world like the AOL, where war is unheard of, and even crime is an oddity. The Aes Sedai of the third Age does not have that luxury. Their job has basically been to keep the world from collapsing so the Dragon could be Reborn and finish the job. If they had to step on a couple of gtoes while doing so, big deal. You can not make pancakes without breaking a few eggs.

I realize AS can't be exactly the same as in the AOL but there is still so much to could do and could've done.  Some stuff they can no longer do because the Aes Sedai 3000 or 2000 years ago screwed up by isolating themselves and taking oaths that they can dance around.  When they took those oaths they didn't ensure that everyone would perceive them as safe.  They just ensured everyone would look to see how they were being manipulated and they perhaps cut lifespan in half.  Egwene realized the oaths and the binder were bad in book 7 I think but reversed herself in book 10 ensuring that women over 300, the Kin, would most likely die upon taking the oaths.

Something I do remember-clearly as well-is that Moridins thoughts reflect that he uses the True Power almost exclusively and he thinks the price is worth it. I think its safe to say one of the consequences of using the True Power too much is losing your eyes-check out Ishamaels corpse, the eyesockets were empty-so how can the True Power be worth that, if the only difference is that youre the only one that can tell what your channeling?

when moridin reflects that he is channeling the TP exclusively is not because the TP is more powerful, but because he can't touch saidin without getting sick (like rand) because of the link.

Egwene may climb notches for most of the book(unfortunately) but hopefully she gets thrown down a few too.  She needs to remember what made Aes Sedai and for that matter what Aes Sedai means.

Throughout the books the status of the WT, in the eyes of us readers and, I think, the inhabitants of Randland, has taken quite a beating.  Its leadership has been abyssmal, it is split, it is rife with BA...it is approaching pathetic.  Egwene sees a clear way to honor, relevance, and most importantly duty - and she will drag the rest of the AS to it, kicking and screaming in some cases.  They can be a major force in subduing the chaos, and Egwene will lead them there.

I'm also curious as to how Perrin will feel about Rand upon seeing him again, since the last time he saw him Rand pretty much forced Perrin out of the city... Surely they are still friends, but their reactions might be interesting.

um...that whole 'expulsion scene' was a setup; it was to allow Perrin to carry out Rand's orders(apprehend Masema) withuot being spied on/harassed by Frosaken and DFs.  Perrin thought Rand ended up being a little 'rough'(he got thrown into a column with the OP - or something along those lines), but Perrin is a big boy and i'm sure he'll forgive him.

I know what he meant, I was just curious if writing it down would have raised a thought.

Some people seem very hooked on the whole "Servant of all" thingy. But here is the deal, that was the role the Aes sedai had 3000 years ago, in a society so different from the one Egwene lives in that we are basically not speaking about the same world anymore.

It is all fine and dandy to walk around being servant of all when you live in a world like the AOL, where war is unheard of, and even crime is an oddity. The Aes Sedai of the third Age does not have that luxury. Their job has basically been to keep the world from collapsing so the Dragon could be Reborn and finish the job. If they had to step on a couple of gtoes while doing so, big deal. You can not make pancakes without breaking a few eggs.

Ah OK.  I was just taking a shot at explaining his comment.  I happen to agree with you.  In addition to the points you made, Aes Sedai of this age have to live with the negative attitude from the Breaking.  Only the males were involved, but the females still suffered from the PR backlash.  I mean, in the Two Rivers, they used to believe that all Aes Sedai were Darkfriends!

Indeed, the society is very different.  The new societies are mostly monarchies with some of the feudal system as well, and we've all seen how spoiled nobility are.  So I can see why Aes Sedai would need to be seen as strong enough to guide these people, regardless of their individual personality flaws.

That being said, they've grown too used to using this power that they can't see anyone else as even approaching them in terms of status and power.  Rand needs a little guidance, maybe, but most of the Aes Sedai are going about it in the wrong way.

um...that whole 'expulsion scene' was a setup; it was to allow Perrin to carry out Rand's orders(apprehend Masema) withuot being spied on/harassed by Frosaken and DFs.  Perrin thought Rand ended up being a little 'rough'(he got thrown into a column with the OP - or something along those lines), but Perrin is a big boy and i'm sure he'll forgive him.

Rand ended up being a little rough because Perrin chose the Aes Sedai for their "argument" and both of them lost control of their tempers.  Because they actually do disagree over Rand's treatment of the Aes Sedai.

women over 300, the Kin, would most likely die upon taking the oaths

I always thought this was a flawed thought process by the girls.  And RJ stated in an interview that one of the points of the story is that Aes Sedai believe something to be true when it is not, despite the Oaths.  If you believe something to be true and it is not true, your belief only makes that thing true for you...not true in reality. 

The effects of the Oath Rod happen over time.  It takes time for a person who has taken the Oaths to achieve the ageless look on their face.  It takes time for the final death of the Aes Sedai to happen (300 years...or 400+ in Cadsuane's case, and she has taken the Oaths on the Oath Rod and is not dead yet)  So if someone who is already 500 years old takes the Oaths, I highly doubt that the Oath Rod will immediately kill them.  Simply put, if they had 200 more years left in this world, the Oath Rod would shorten that to 100 years instead.  Or, in the case of Aloisia, who is over 600 years old already...perhaps she would only live another 20 years on her own, but the Oath Rod might cut that to 10 years.  The effects of the Oath Rod are gradual.

Oh, the scenes that i'm looking forward to...

* the rescue of Moiraine

* what happens to Semirhage

* the final battles involving Graendal and Demandred

* when Rand learns to cry again

* when Egwene has to work with the Seanchan

* the outcome of all channelers

and

* the bodyswap where Moridin and Bela switch bodies.  Oh wait, am I misunderstanding this whole bodyswap theory?

It takes time for the final death of the Aes Sedai to happen (300 years...or 400+ in Cadsuane's case, and she has taken the Oaths on the Oath Rod and is not dead yet)

Cadsuane is believed to have been born 705 NE. KOD takes place in 1000 NE, which makes Cadsuane 295, and she seems to feel that she is into her final years.

oh, sorry.  I don't know why I felt Cadsuane was much older than that.  I guess I didn't add it all up right, and some of the Aes Sedai seem to be in their late 200's already, so I figured Cadsuane was at least in her mid to late 300's. 

I think "i've worn the shawl longer than any other sister in living memory" threw me, hehehe.

But that just emphasizes my point, really.  If Cadsuane had not taken the Oaths and was in her late 200's, then suddenly took the Oaths, she wouldn't just drop dead...but the rest of her life would then be shortened.

Archived