DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aes Sedai make BAD pets

bjclinton

So here's something that I was thinking about....

RJ could have done a little better job of addressing the fact that AS make bad damane because of the oath that prevents them from using the power as a weapon except against SP or when their life or the life of their warder is in danger. We've seen some "fully trained" AS in the ranks, yet Damane are used as offensive tools.

I'm sure the logical explanation is "they wait until the battle starts and the AS's life is truly in danger before using them" but it still sounds like its a risk brining that type of Damane into the fight...

just a thought!

In Karede's POV in Kod I think he says Mylin was almost inconsolable when they told her she could not be a weapon.  The sul'dam kept petting her and telling her how good her skylights and healing are.  Which brings up another question how can Aes Sedai call lightning against the tower?  I think that was one of Egwene's Dreams.  I know they will probably collar some BA but not that many.

Guest Dreadlord

The thing is, is an Aes Sedai was collared then she couldnt help channeling, and since the suldam wouldnt be bound by the same Oaths tere would be no problem. The Aes Sedai wouldnt be the one who actively channeled-its as if she is an angreal for the person wearing the bracelet. The angreal cant channel of its own accord, it needs someone to draw the Power from it; thats what a collared Aes Sedai would be like. The Oaths dont come into it unless the Aes Sedai channels of her own free will

The thing is, is an Aes Sedai was collared then she couldnt help channeling, and since the suldam wouldnt be bound by the same Oaths tere would be no problem. The Aes Sedai wouldnt be the one who actively channeled-its as if she is an angreal for the person wearing the bracelet. The angreal cant channel of its own accord, it needs someone to draw the Power from it; thats what a collared Aes Sedai would be like. The Oaths dont come into it unless the Aes Sedai channels of her own free will
AS damane are still bound by the Oaths and are thus unable to be used in ways that would violate the Oaths.

Like Mr Ares said, that theory is proven wrong by Karede's thoughts in KoD.

In Karede's POV in Kod I think he says Mylin was almost inconsolable when they told her she could not be a weapon.  The sul'dam kept petting her and telling her how good her skylights and healing are.  Which brings up another question how can Aes Sedai call lightning against the tower?  I think that was one of Egwene's Dreams.  I know they will probably collar some BA but not that many.

Most of the damane by far aren't bound by the three oaths so fullfilling that particular Dream wouldn't be that hard, besides the whole beseiging the never-before-captured White Tower of course  ;)

You're also looking at it only in a military strategy. I think someone brought up that they can heal and things like that which are good, but also their knowledge. You get someone who can tell you how to get into the tower or Tar Valon for that matter and you have the same thing as the fall of the stone of Tear. You could use the knowledge to do some more things with the power that the Seanchean didn't know about.

I don't think that there is anything that keeps them from "shielding" the uncollared AS.  And after all - the Seanchan do not want to kill the AS at the White Tower.    So the ability to "shield"  all the WT  AS so that they could be captured and collared would be very beneficial - exactly what the Seanchan want!

Archived