DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who would you cast in a movie?

oooooooo... I love almost all of your picks Slothman, except I'd have to know more about the guy you picked for Mat, and I'm not sure if Richard Gere is quite kick butt as Lan. And does Sean Bean have to be a character who dies? The poor guy can't get a break!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rand

This will always be the most controversial character as everyone i have spoken to has a completely different idea to everybody else (if they can think of anyone) and i personally think that whoever casts the role would do well to cast a complete unknown, at least that way they can find someone who fits the roll instead of settling on someone who isnt right just becaue they are famous. Not that people haven't had good ideas, but you need someone who can fit the role perfectly, hire a big name and the character becomes the actor, not the other way around.

Perrin

Jared Leto, after seeing him in alexander (every time i think that i actually paid to see that film i shudder but something good came of it i guess) i thought he'd be well suited to the roll of perrin. i'm not sure what it is but when i look at his eyes here he just looks like a good kind person who is forced into a roll as a warrior

Mat

David Tennant, who is the new Dr Who and also played Casanova in a british miniseries (where i got the idea of him playing mat from), he certainly has the cheek

he's practically dressed for his "situation" in Ebou Dar already :P

Lan & Nyneve

Richard Gere and Julia Ormond (saw them together in "First Knight" and i instantly thought of lan and nyneve)

Geofram and Dain Bornhald

Donald Sutherland & Kiefer Sutherland, I think that having this pairing would be a parfect use of the family resemblance, not to mention that they are both wonderful actors

Elyas

Joe Lando, I don't know what it is about him but seeing this shot of him, i just think elyas, he is older now than when this was taken (filming dr quinn) but that would just mean he has more grey hairs (so he fits the roll even better :P)

Pedan Fain

Kevin Spacey, a lot of people say that he'd do LTT justice, but can you imagine him as fain? he'd really bring the insanity of the role to life, and as such a good actor, he really deserves more of a part than a background role (as LT would be)

Ingtar

Sean Bean, I know that with him on the cast you'd be running the risk of having parallels drawn to LotR (as if they werent already going to be there) but ingtar's a great character and sean could pull it off so easily, it'd be great

Bran al'Vere

Brian Blessed, I was talking this over with my mate Alun and when you think about it, brian has not only the features but also the charisma to pull it off, you could belive this guy got voted mayor, and he is one of britain's best actors to boot.

I might suggest rip torn (as was suggested by somebody before) but i just think brian would suit the role well :)

Gareth Bryne

Sean Connery would wear this roll like a glove, you could see him watching over a battle directing armies, and he just oozes charisma.

tell me thats not bryne, i dare ya :P

Lews Therin Telamon

Kenneth Branagh, I'll admit he's been given bad parts over the years (We'll just gloss over wild wild west and harry potter) but if you look at the intensity he put into the character of victor frankenstein in mary shelley's frankenstein you should be able to imagine what this guy could do with the roll...

I won't bother giving a pic for this one as he's mainly a voiceover role, (unless they did a ghostlike aparition always behind rand) but just watch Frankenstein and you'll see his intensity.

Thom

You need someone here who is serious when he needs to be but can be seen to have fun, so I'd throw my weight behind Sam Elliott, i saw the suggestion before and justh though... wow

Bayle Domon

Got to be John Goodman, I mean come on he does a lot of comedy but he just IS Bayle...

Ishamael / Moridin

John Malkovich and Jude Law respectively, John can be downright evil when he wants to be, and Jude has always looked just too perfect to be good... theres something off about him, and having him be an evil, psychotic B*****d would certainly suit

I can't argue with John Malkovich as Ishamael or Jude Law for Moridin.

On second thought, why don't we curtail the wait and cast Jude Law as Lews Therin? He'd be a bit expensive, but then again in the first movie he's be a cameo pretty much.

I like John Goodman as Bayle. Nice pick.

Sam Elliot is great for the look, but he's always played a sort of cowboyish, military persona. While he has charm, he has to pass for someone of infinite subtlety and flair to boot. Remember, you need a Gleeman who is as good at High Voice as he is at Common. ;)

Can't fault you though. Great look for the part.

Kenneth Branaugh as Lews Therin...He's not tall enough I guess would be a gripe of mine. I don't know...just doesn't look right. you have to have him in the prologue sequence. Jude Law is a better choice. I'd put Branagh in as a lord of some sort later in the story perhaps.

Sean Connery...true, he'd be perfect as Gareth Bryne...ten yers ago, he would have. He's a bit too high profile for me to pull the trigger on that. I'd pretty much be casting Gareth Bryne as Sean Connery, not the other way around. I'd have to break with you here.

Brian Blessed would be good as any Inkeeper...The one from Baerlon, I for get his name...Basel Gil from the Queen's blessing...I've not seen him for awhile, tell me he hasn't passed away, has he?

Sean Bean as Ingtar...A little too close to Boromir for my liking. Slayer. That'd be cool.

Kevin Spacey...Fain...I'm not sold on that. Kevin Spacey is a good actor, but more of a modern actor suited for modern roles. Given the chance, I'm sure he'd get the job done, but again, with him you;re skating on castin gthe character as the actor instead of the other way around. Could work, maybe...Wouldn't be the choice I would stay with.

Joe Lando does lok the part for Elyas. I don't know what he's doing nowadays as I haven't seen him in anything for quite some time now. I wouldn't shut the door on him for the role though.

I like a good father and son act. For the Bornhalds I think Donald and Keifer could work out. Keifer is a little older than I'd want him to be, as is Donald...Dain is described as beingin his 20s. I think those days are a bit past Keifer at the moment. I have other people in mind for these roles, but you've put me in mind of Donald for a role at the moment. I'll get back to that later perhaps.

Richard Gere and Julia Ormond...Maybe I'd use Ormond in another role. She's pardon me (a bit for it's rude to say this about a lady sometimes) a tad to old for Nynaeve who is supposed to look like she's about 18-20. Richard Gere...I'm not sure. He'd be good maybe as Tam, perhaps Rahvin. He's not really Lan to me. I'm not sure he fits in the movie.

I can't say I know who David Tennant is. He's a bit paler than I would go with. I always thought of Mat as a prankster, but really an athelete. I think the guy you've picked has the attitude just by the picture, but I'm not sold. I'd have to see more of his work to make a real decision.

I don't want to seem rude, but I would never cast Jared Leto as Perrin or any of the main three leads. I wouldn't cast someone who is basically a 30-year-old pretty boy, to play an 18 year old kid. I would consider jared Leto as Galad or someone like that, but never perrin, Mat...you get the idea. Oh and the reason you probably think he looks like he'd be reluctant to go into battle is because he's a pretty boy, and they are generally reluctant to do anything that will mess up their looks. There, I said it. ;)

I totally agree with you about Rand, but I think you should expand your unknown actor premise to all of the 3 male leads.

Great thing about loial is that he'd be CG anyway, he's too tall to be a real actor, or you'd need somebody in a tall suit, either way the face is inhuman enough to mean a full face mask would be needed, so really we're looking for a voice actor (yea that means technically we could have de-vito as loial) but i like the Brad Garret idea, I think he'd pull the voice off nicely.

John goodman's still kicking, you're probably thinking of John Belushi, John Candy, or maybe even Chris Farley?

As for LTTs appearance, you only see him very briefly in the prologue to the Eye of the World, after that he'd either be doing a voice only role or he'd be ghosting behind rand, physically we don't need someone big, we just need someone with a powerful voice, hence why i thought of Ken, plus I always viewed LTT in his 40s, Jude just looks too young to me

And yea I know sean would be yet another character who dies off after turning back to the side of good... but he does it so well :P

Oooh now to spacey... the guy's a nutjob, he's cast in modern roles a lot, but watch Se7en and tell me he can't play crazy, he'd need to loose a little weight for the role (fain is quite drawn in my interpretation of him) but I still can't think of anybody better to play him

Skipping a few (not going to argue with gere and ormond, i know they are getting on a bit now, its just the first thing I thought when I saw them in first knight was Lan and Nynaeve...

David tennant, My advice would be to watch the new BBC miniseries Casanova, it isn't a very physical role, but i've seen him at charity sport events, and he's actually quite fit... it's the personality and the ability to be damn cheeky that wins him the part for me...

and Leto... Leto Leto Leto, yea he's a bloody pretty boy, you have me there, what you need is to ACTUALLY send him to work in a blacksmiths for about 6 months (one of those amish ones that still does all the work) then see how he turns out, i still t hink he'd do it for me.

Gotta say though, we'll never get em all :P plus by the time filming was done they'd all look far too old, the only real way (as someone said on another thread) would be a massive 600 part anime :P it'd just have to be done EXCEPTIONALLY well

Great thing about loial is that he'd be CG anyway, he's too tall to be a real actor, or you'd need somebody in a tall suit, either way the face is inhuman enough to mean a full face mask would be needed, so really we're looking for a voice actor (yea that means technically we could have de-vito as loial) but i like the Brad Garret idea, I think he'd pull the voice off nicely.

John goodman's still kicking, you're probably thinking of John Belushi, John Candy, or maybe even Chris Farley?

As for LTTs appearance, you only see him very briefly in the prologue to the Eye of the World, after that he'd either be doing a voice only role or he'd be ghosting behind rand, physically we don't need someone big, we just need someone with a powerful voice, hence why i thought of Ken, plus I always viewed LTT in his 40s, Jude just looks too young to me

And yea I know sean would be yet another character who dies off after turning back to the side of good... but he does it so well :P

Oooh now to spacey... the guy's a nutjob, he's cast in modern roles a lot, but watch Se7en and tell me he can't play crazy, he'd need to loose a little weight for the role (fain is quite drawn in my interpretation of him) but I still can't think of anybody better to play him

Skipping a few (not going to argue with gere and ormond, i know they are getting on a bit now, its just the first thing I thought when I saw them in first knight was Lan and Nynaeve...

David tennant, My advice would be to watch the new BBC miniseries Casanova, it isn't a very physical role, but i've seen him at charity sport events, and he's actually quite fit... it's the personality and the ability to be damn cheeky that wins him the part for me...

and Leto... Leto Leto Leto, yea he's a bloody pretty boy, you have me there, what you need is to ACTUALLY send him to work in a blacksmiths for about 6 months (one of those amish ones that still does all the work) then see how he turns out, i still t hink he'd do it for me.

Gotta say though, we'll never get em all :P plus by the time filming was done they'd all look far too old, the only real way (as someone said on another thread) would be a massive 600 part anime :P it'd just have to be done EXCEPTIONALLY well

First off, I love the name. Me and a good friend of mine are convinced that the sloth is the most diabolical creature ever to live.

Anime...it's kind of hit and miss with the Anime. I agree though, by the time we actually get to see a film, most of the actors we've looked at will be much too old to play the roles, even the young actors.

Jared Leto must not be Perrin...I forbit it! :!:

He's much too girlish and I'd be so distracted the only thing to do would be to throw a $6 hotdog at the movie screen. He reminds me of that female tennis player who just won Wimbeldon...what's her name, Mauresmo. God, it'd be awful. And no 30 year olds as the principle young people! That's my policy here, and I want you all to adhere to it! :D

Seriously though...no 30-year-olds or older for them. That's just terrible.

See my pick of Willem Dafoe for creepier guys than Spacey. For reference viewing, watch The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Wild at Heart (The David Lynch classic), The Reckoning, and Shadow of the Vampire in which he plays Max Schreck. Tell me you can't see Fain there. He'd be a mite cheaper than Spacey I think too.

i dont kow but i always saw dafoe being the basis for the myrddral, everything about him just freaks me out, i couldnt see him being accepted as a peddler at the start of tEotW, at least spacey could pull off being a popular peddler, but could then do the freakin nutjob fain we see later on, i just dont see dafoe doing the friendly part of the role (if friendly is the right word)

if I was going to cast Padan Fain, I'd pick Brad Dourif (Wormtounge from Lord of Rings: The Two Towers) He pretty much proved he could do that character in that movie. But since that would basically be hiring the guy to play a totally similar in character, I'd also think about Steve Buscemi because he looks creepy enough, or Gary Oldman could do it, or Ralph Fiennes would be great, though probably too tall. yeah, those guys can all be pretty creepy.

tbh sean just looks too unlike how i imagined Thom, Sam Eliott on the other hand looks spot on to me, but as has been stated, he most commonly does roles of military or "cowboy" characters so nobody can be sure weither he could handle the role as an actor. Sean will always be Bryne to me :P

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe there's already a thread for this topic, my bad! Well I hope you welcome the ideas of a

newbie:

Rand -- a young Tom Cruise. Why not!? Who else could get away w/ having 3 lovers? OK that sounded a little gay...Besides, he was a good warrior/leader in the Last Samurai wasn't he? He was good at the katana, too (heron-marked blade). Just as long you don't imagine him jumping like an idiot on Oprah--but then again that's what Rand might have done had the taint of saidin consumed him, heh, heh.

Mat -- that guy who played Shaggy on Scooby Doo. His character in Without a Paddle is the perfect Mat.

Perrin -- Heath Ledger (spelling?). Well since Faile, I've started to hate this character so a Brokeback dude would do.

Moiraine -- that woman who played Miranda Frost in Die Another Day, a perfect Moiraine!

Nynaeve -- Milla Jovovich. Since Ny is always irritated at something, and Milla played a good irritated Joan of Arc. The face is also right.

Egwene -- Keira Knightly. Because she's as irritating as Egwene is, burning Jack Sparrow's rum

and doing that thing she did at the end of Dead Man's Chest...

Lan -- the Rock! Well, as long as he doesn't do the eyebrow thing, and why not? Could be worse, could

have been Steven Seagal *laughs*

Thom -- do you really need a name? All lean old men with mustaches all look alike!

Well that's all since I'm just starting to read TEotW

again...

Has anyone ever thought about how the characters' thoughts and inner dialogues would be in a movie? I think soap opera style voiceovers would be totally cheesy, but alot of times there's no way a look could portray what the characters are thinking.

Btw, Kadere, LOVE your pick of Steve Buscemi for Fain. He could be especially creepy as Ordeith.

They would probably have Perrin having a conversation with Elyas describing his new sense of "smell". As for his wolf talk, they might do a camera shot where it slowly zooms up to his face and have howling slowly build in the background. They could then do back and forth shots between wolves stirring and Perrin's face. I think this would be a very good way to shoot Dumai's Well when Perrin calls on the wolves for help.

i ran a cross a picture of kate hudson that makes her my lastest casting call for elayne trakand.

ian somerhaldon for galad.

the rest may come and go because there will never be a flick made anytime soon.

at least until the last book is released and there is closure to the tale.

when that time comes most of our choices will be middle-aged. :wink:

wow, reading through all of that, well imagine if half of these selections where in the cast, what a cast

well i dunno to much for character choices, i like the idea of Ian McKellen as thom, and it seems a lot of people want wrestlers in there (well the rock, and one person said the undertaker) i like the idea of the rock , someone like gaul or rhuarc

i guess this is what most people say, i guess im agreeing

thats what i was thinking, well not like all, but most would be, its all well and good to speculate but the reality is that thats what it will be like (i hope i didn't spoil anyones dreams)

like with harry potter too i suppose with unknowns for the most part

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm kinda tricky cos my mental images arent necessarily yours!! Not all 'present' personalities - just my mental images!

Min - Courtney Cox (in looks only)

Rand - Brad Pitt (dye the hair...)

Mat - adam sandler meets chris klein

Perrin - no idea

Nynaeve - davina mcall with long hair

Egwene - one of the twins that used to be in neighbours

Moiraine - Young Sophia Loren

Lan - The Rock

Thom - Grandpa from the Waltons

Liandrin - reese witherspoon

Siuan - no idea

Fain - guy who played reginald perrin (UK)

Elyas - Kris Kristofferson

Aviendha - angelina jolie in personality, no idea in looks

Elayne - girl i went to uni with

Gawyn - JT with long hair

Archived