DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cheer Up Singles Day Returns! (Feb. 15th)

Dwynwen

Okay, singles!  The couples have had their fun, so now it's time for ours!  The popular DM Cheer Up Singles Day celebration, hosted by Nia and me, has returned.  :) 

Here's a little historical background on this holiday for those of you who were not around for the last one.  I created Cheer Up Singles Day when I was a sophomore in college.  It depressed me to see how singles always seemed to get left out on Valentine's Day, and I wanted us to have our own holiday where we could feel loved and appreciated, so I created one.  I began celebrating it with friends in college, then I used it as an event for my residents when I was a Resident Assistant, and then I brought the tradition here.  We've had a Cheer Up Singles Day celebration almost every year since I've been here.

*Hands out red roses and T-shirts that say, "I think, therefore I'm single."

The first thing I'd like to do to make our single people feel special is to let them know that they are freakin' awesome. I'll start by listing some single people I know on DM and talking about the qualities that make them special. Please feel free to post with compliments for other DM singles!

Nia:  My sister is loyal and supportive.  She always knows just what to say to make me feel better when I'm down.  She is also smart, loving, imaginative, and fun.  I really do see her as the little sister I never had.  *Hugs Nia*

Charis:  My mentee is one of the most giving, charitable people I know.  She is courageous and strong, overcoming obstacles in her life that would have crushed others.  She is a great role model and motivator.  *Hugs Charis*

Mia:  Mia is mature, thoughtful, and loving.  She is able to hold strong beliefs, yet at the same time be incredibly open-minded.  She also has a charming, silly side to her.  *Hugs Mia*

Come one, come all, to the singles party!

Yep,post with your compliments guys!!

Maria: Yep, she's Norwegian. Yep, I'm British. But I've managed to get over the whole 'Hey!! The Vikings invaded our country' thing and I honestly couldn't wish for a better best friend. Maria is loving, caring, incredibly funny and someone I admire and respect very much. She gets what is going on in my head unlike any other. :)

Dwynwen: Dwynwen is simply fabulous. Smart, loyal, caring she's always there for me no matter what. I'm so proud to have her as my Sister and it's so lovely to know that someone I have never met cares about me as much as she does.

(I'll add more through the day :))

This is a fantastic Idea, why spend so much time worrying bout not being in a couple, so here are a few good reasons to be single... :D

1. "You can have male friends without having to defend yourself and explain that nothing else is going on."

2. "Free drinks at bars! Men seem to know when you're single and tend to be very generous."

3. "You can spend as much time as you want with your family and nobody's lip will drag the ground."

4. "You can shave your legs and the razor is never dull from his face."

5. "You can talk to your girlfriends for hours on the phone without getting dirty, exasperated looks."

6. "You can spend your paycheck on what you want."

7. "You never have to worry if the milk carton had been directly drunk out of."

8. "You don't have to check to see if it's okay to tell someone yes or no to an invitation. You can accept on the spot."

9. "You can fill the fridge with fresh fruit and veggies, bottled water, one-percent milk and applesauce instead of cold cuts, beer and Velveeta."

10. "No more Cinemax, American Flyers, Steven Seagal or Jackie Chan. You are free to watch Emeril and Ming Tsai three times a day if you want."

11. "You can be happy with who you are, not who he wants you to be."

12. "If you are depressed or mad at the world for a few minutes, you don't have to worry about having your 'outlook on life' analyzed."

13. "You can eat garlic or onions without a second thought about breath mints."

14. "Not only are your dinners free when you go out on those first dates, but they take you out to nice places."

15. "You don't have to give yourself lame excuses for not devoting time to yourself."

16. "No snoring!"

17. "No one gets insulted when you spend the day at the beach checking out the lifeguards."

18. "You can have eight hours of undisturbed sleep with the covers all to yourself."

19. "You can go to bed in flannel and plaid rather than Frederick's and Victoria."

20. "The toilet seat issue -- need I say more?"

Managed to spend the majority of the last night in the local, which wisely had no Valentines rubbish up. By the third bottle of wine, i think most of us had forgotten it was Valentines Day.

Does mean i can't participate well in Singles day though.... mainly cause im sat here going why the hell did i drink so much, and wondering whether its worth going to my Latin seminar....

My Valentine's day involved a great deal of cake. *nods* Just how I like it  :D

I'm currently contemplating missing my lecture on the Rise of Anglo-Norman Kingship and the feudal system. Oops ;)

Anywho... more compliments.

Talya: Talya is fabbity fab. She can fix computers when DMers need them most, and when it is suggested to see how many people can fit in a photo booth she is all for it. She's funny, friendly and lovely. I've also seen her crack. Yay Talya  ;D

I would like to say a couple.

Firstly...

Elgee, she is witty and fun, and alwasy there when you need a friend, she makes me laugh, in fact in chat I don't think we stopped giggling (for which we both blamed Kara). She is a true friend and I'm glad that she is my sis, as I love her to bits.

Nia, well what can I say that hasn't already been said. She is so much and I have the priviledge of meeting her in person, she is bubbly and lovely to know, and bursts into song at the drop of a hat (which sat with me just fine ;)) plus we have shared a bed...which is something I don't do often :D ;)

It's the 16th, but oh well! I'll celebrate a little late. So *snuggles* all around.

And you know... Nia is the greatest best friend any girl could hope for. Also, we have a pact that since I'm older she will stay single until I'm settled. What more could you ask for, really? (All right, that pact may be a bit one-sided, but whatever :P)

*snuggles all around again*

Talya, you must be psychic with Nia and me!  We were planning to start a "101 reasons to be single" list after the compliments were through.  :)

Let's see if I can keep my record of last year and compliment everyone that posts in this thread:

Barmy:  I don't think I've ever read a post of yours that hasn't made me laugh.  You're zany, witty, and insane in a good way!

Naeann:  You're sweet and very respectful of others.  You're also extremely active, which is great around here.

Talya:  It's always great fun having you around to participate in The Amazing Race.  You're very kind and, since Nia thinks you're cool, you must be cool!

Dae:  I don't know you yet, but you're cool just for participating in this thread!

Jon:  It's always fun interacting with you on the boards.  You're kind and generous.  I can't wait to meet you in person when I move back home!

Nephi:  You're super sweet and enthusiastic.  You have shown that you are able to stick around here in the face of adversity, which is a very mature and courageous thing to do.  We're very glad to have you as our Snow Queen!

I think we can continue Talya's list of reasons to be single, too!

21.)  You get to celebrate Cheer Up Singles Day.  ;)

22.)  You can go without shaving your legs for weeks and no one will care.

23.)  You can keep odd sleeping hours. 

24.)  You don't have to deal with in-laws that you may not get along with.

25.)  You can put your career first without feeling guilty.

26.)  You can spend way too much time on DM without feeling guilty.

Guest nephitess

*blushes* thanks Dwyn...*snugs* I love the list by the way...my fave is #22 *lmao*

27) You can sing at the top of your lungs and no one will care. (if you live alone)

I don't think I've ever read a post of yours that hasn't made me laugh

Never? Not even once? You have at no time ever read a post of mine that didn't make you laugh? Thats it. I'm going to start making all kinds of boring and unfunny posts just to change this. *serious look*

28) You can fart without reservation.

I think I would have to read every post you've ever written on DM to find out, lol!  I don't recall reading a boring and unfunny post by you, even if such a post existed.  ;) 

To add to the taboo behaviors trend...

29.)  You can dance around the house naked to "Baby Got Back."

Ya know, I can't imagine ever asking a significant other to buy my feminine products ;P I have too much pride for that.

Also, I want to do all the above even if I do have a bf :P And I intend to!

I know, I'm an idealist and probably kidding myself *g*

Fact is, as of this second I am still single. :)

Yep, I would never ask a significant other to buy my feminine products either.  Why make them do it when I can stock up myself several months in advance?  *shakes head*

Taya, I'll bet you would rather be single than dating that creepy guy who likes you.  ;)  That reminds me of my next reason:

32.)  It's better to be single than to be in a bad relationship.

Aww Thanks Dwyn... you dont know me very well do you? ;) ;)

You are a really sweet person and make everyone feel welcome and you do such a wonderful job with the gallery.  You're also doing a fabulous job with the Whites.

Well personally i can say a LOT about myself, and how awesome I am :P My friends hear me say it real often. :D

Anyway...yeah, you're right Dwyn - there is ALWAYS something better than settling. Particularly if you're settling for a crazy dude. *lol*

What can I say about Nephi?

You know what?  Let me put this another way.  What can I say about nephi that won't get me in trouble? ;D  She's beautiful, smart, funny, and totally awesome.  The guy who gets to have her tell him she loves him will be the luckiest guy in the world. :)

Oh, and Taya is pretty freakin' awesome as well. :)  Which reminds me, I need to reply to her latest PM.  But anyway, she's cool, and fun, and some guy needs to snatch her up quick before the rest of us start getting ideas. ;)

I won't contribute to the list of why it's good to be single though, as technically for another two weeks I'm still not single.  So I'll stop hijacking this thread now. :)

Archived