DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Time Travel: They seem to have figured it out

Jelly

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iFS_C6q_wUgO-DA2UYrl9th6dprg

This is the only link I could find. But I heard this on GMTV today.

Machine 'could create time tunnel'

9 hours ago

Switching on a giant atom-smashing machine might open the door to unexpected visitors - from the future, it has been claimed.

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), due to come on stream this year, could turn out to be the world's first time machine, according to two Russian scientists.

Their calculations show it is possible the machine will tear a hole in the fabric of space and time, creating a gateway to tomorrow. And, with sufficiently advanced technology, people from the future might even be able to walk through it.

The vast LHC has been constructed at CERN, the European particle physics centre near Geneva.

Designed to investigate the origins of the universe, it will generate particles with so much energy that scientists are not entirely sure what will happen when they switch the machine on.

One possibility is that microscopic black holes will be created within the LHC.

But Russian mathematicians Irina Aref'eva and Igor Volovich point to another scenario. They believe a "wormhole" could open up, linking our time with another in the future.

Such a time tunnel would need to be propped open for anyone to step through it. But this could happen if "dark energy" - the mysterious anti-gravity force that causes galaxies to accelerate away from each other - possesses a special "phantom" property.

The year 2008 might then become "Year Zero" for future time travellers, since it would only be possible to travel back as far as the first doorway in time.

Manipulating such a wormhole to create a viable time machine would take incredibly advanced technology, New Scientist magazine reported - yet this could not be ruled out in the distant future.

Well it seems a bit scary, to me, that they're about to rip a hole in space/time. But it would be interesting if it goes well. If it doesn't... :-\

It's fun to enjoy imagining, but don't let unfounded fears take root, friends. They're merely smashing microscopic particles together at extremely high speeds.

Releasing a lot of energy? Sure, a lot for the size of the particles and for a microscopic amount of time (billionths of a second, was it? I can't recall).

Enough to destroy the world with mini black holes? Hardly.

Time travel? Heh. Imagination is great stuff. ;D

i agree with jelly.  i'd like advance notice so that i can punish my enemies before the world ends.  :P

and shendare, while i completely agree with you, i can' say that they're putting a lot of effort into inspiring confidence, when they say that they're not exactly sure what will happen.....  8)

They're only performing experiments that happen regularly in space, and as particles pass through the Earth.  The kind of stuff they're doing happens all the time naturally, they're just doing it under controlled circumstances.  Personally I think the idea of creating a strangelet is more likely, but even still we're talking infintesimally small probabilities.

Alys, that is an idea I can get behind. 

Don't get me wrong either, just because it happens regularly, doesn't mean it isn't amazing.  I am constantly awed by the awesome events that go on constantly and we have little to no idea they are happening.  Every moment is a miracle in itself in my interpretation of the world and science only deepens the awe of being able to observe and understand these miracles.

Oh and I should point out the show sliders before SD gets a chance to. ;) 

I just hope they tell us when they're going to create this hole so we can all say our goodbyes.

Brian Greene and Neil DeGrasse Tyson have both stated that these black holes would be so small that they would have no real impact on the universe, and will evaporate about as quickly as they formed.  The black holes that threaten anything are really really massive objects, many many times more massive than the earth.  No Worries.

on the topic of time travel, its been possible for many years...heck, im doing it right now!  Mind you i can only go forward at normal speed.

I bet € 5,-- on that the first usable application will be a weapon. Probably one of Mass Destruction, given that in its initial phases you'd like that one to go off as far away from you as possible.

But disregarding this obviously cheerful prospect, i'm looking forwards to seeing the result.

Archived