DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

OMG is this story ripping of the WoT or what?

marcusadams

I have read some of SoT. I kind of read it alongside the WoT and I really did notice the amount of similarities between RJ's work and Goodkind. I never finished it because the plot became stagnant after a while and Richard and Kahlan never seemed to develop as characters.

And this is purely personal opinion, but those interviews that Ealdur Tinuviel posted, it seemed to me that Goodkind is just talking out of his own arse because the things he says suits his needs.

I had not previously known that Goodkind denied borrowing from RJ. There is no shame in admitting to borrowing something, so he might as well admit it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodkind is an arrogant prick and has no original thoughts.  All his books are simply soapboxes for the works of Ayn Rand.  Yet people continue to read his crap thinking it is so original.  He also claims his books aren't Fantasy but they just happen to have some fantasy elements in them blah blah blah.  Goodkind is a jackA$$.  He also has some weird rape fetish that he has to put in everyone of his books.  My guess would be that some girl broke up with him at some point and now he essentially has every female character he writes about get repeatedly raped throughout his books.  The man's got issues and his books suck.

I starting reading SoT series, and really where WoT seemed like a traditional epic spoken by a true storyteller with a passion for the story, SoT read like some glossy magazine, the type truckers buy from a service station at 3am... The rape thing turned me off the whole series, it seriously seriously did, i mean when a major point of contention for your female lead is that she hasn't been raped "YET" or at least wasn't when i finished reading you really have to ask questions about how much depth you can really put into your characters. Some people should go through a application process for pen and paper, Goodkind is one of them, man is sick in the head. Rape happens, its disgusting and vile and while because of this reason i can understand and accept it in any work as a tool, a tool that is in its very essessence vile and disgusting. But with Goodkind? every third page someone is getting boned somewhere they don't want to be, man has issuses, big ones.

I think the ending of Goodkind's books is pretty lame as well.

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert

Spoiler alert

Warning....do not read this if you ever intend to read Goodkind's books.

However if you want to be save dthe trouble of reading a mediocre series just to get to a stupid ending, let me save you the trouble.

Final spoiler alert

Richard sends all the imperial order and snyone that wants to live in a world without magic to another world, and everyone that wants to keep it like it is, ie everyone that prays daily devotions to Richard get to stay in the current world.  Very lame.  Kind of like the bood of translation I guess.  the world is on the brink of this huge final battle betweek good and evil and woula, the evil army disappears.  Maybe like Tolkein and the Ents, LOL.  Very lame.

Goodkind is an arrogant prick and has no original thoughts.  All his books are simply soapboxes for the works of Ayn Rand.  Yet people continue to read his crap thinking it is so original.  He also claims his books aren't Fantasy but they just happen to have some fantasy elements in them blah blah blah.  Goodkind is a jackA$$.  He also has some weird rape fetish that he has to put in everyone of his books.  My guess would be that some girl broke up with him at some point and now he essentially has every female character he writes about get repeatedly raped throughout his books.  The man's got issues and his books suck.

This is exactly what I have been talking about.

• 12 years later...

Here’s the thing. I have to disagree with most people here. These books were both coming out at 1 book a year at the same time within months of each other and while I constantly mixed them up in my head as I read each new hardback as it was released, I don’t think it even would have been possible for them to be ripped off each other. Books are completed well before publication and these books are so huge that I can’t see it as in the realm of possible. Go back and look at publication dates and storylines and you’ll see what my group of friends who read them also saw, just a fluke.

• Community Administrator
2 hours ago, Mary Lee said:

Here’s the thing. I have to disagree with most people here. These books were both coming out at 1 book a year at the same time within months of each other and while I constantly mixed them up in my head as I read each new hardback as it was released, I don’t think it even would have been possible for them to be ripped off each other. Books are completed well before publication and these books are so huge that I can’t see it as in the realm of possible. Go back and look at publication dates and storylines and you’ll see what my group of friends who read them also saw, just a fluke.

Sword of Truth was written 4 years after Eye of the World.

Perhaps you need to go back and study up on the publication dates?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eye_of_the_World

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard's_First_Rule

• Community Administrator
24 minutes ago, Jsbrads2 said:

SoT was already made into a TV show called Legend of the Seeker and the sword play was amazing.

LOL

I nearly died laughing at how horrible that sword play was when it first came out.

Richard would be dead, the very first second of combat, jumping with an overhead strike like that.

15 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

LOL

I nearly died laughing at how horrible that sword play was when it first came out.

Richard would be dead, the very first second of combat, jumping with an overhead strike like that.

Yes. where's a nice, friendly mriswith just when you need him? Hint, for those writing stories where people with shields fight those without - a shield was regarded by Homer, for example, as an offensive as well as a defensive weapon, and several people in both armies, Greek or Troian, had their fights severely upset when they got bashed with a shield - not to forget, their faces smashed in ... he was probably writing from observation. And those soldiers weren't very coordinated, going in separately. No wonder they lost out to Richard.