DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Elayne's Awkward Conversation

trakand_01

I'm slightly amused at the thought of the conversation Elayne and Rand are going to have when he returns to her. I anticipate it to go something like this;

Elayne - "HI!! Oh my god how are you? I've missed you soooo much."

Rand - "Yeah, me too. What's with the babies?"

Elayne - "Ah, yeah. The babies. About that..."

Also, how come Rand cant feel her morning sickness / pregnancy pains through the bond? Surely he'll think she's being murdered when she's in labour? Wonder who'll get the biggest shock if he feels her labour pains and decides to travel to her... Him when he jumps out of the doorway to find his woman in labour with his babies, or her when he jumps out of the doorway with his sword drawn...

That is an interesting point.  It would make for a humorous interchange.  As far as the morning sickness, I suspect that if Rand weren't overwhelmed with physical pain on a constant basis, he would be aware of it.  I suspect that you are correct, however that Elayne's labor would present a distraction Rand would be unable to ignore.  I am chuckeling at the thought of Rand flying into the room where Elayne was delivering with sword drawn.  Quite a scene would ensue, I have no doubt.

One reason is that Elayne is too far away for Rand to sense much of anything through the bond other than the fact that she is still alive.

Indeed ... she barely felt Rand getting his hand blown off.  He would probably sense her going into labor, but morning sickness?  Nah.

Besides, she isn't going to be delivered of her babes until after Tarmon Gai'don.  Assuming Rand is still around, he will definitely have learned of it by then.

I do look forward to that conversation, though.

One reason is that Elayne is too far away for Rand to sense much of anything through the bond other than the fact that she is still alive.

Indeed ... she barely felt Rand getting his hand blown off.  He would probably sense her going into labor, but morning sickness?  Nah.

Couldn't Rand's 'rigid' mental state be one reason why Elayne barely felt anything, other than the distance? It's not like he allows himself to feel the pain. He is in constant physical pain, but I am not sure even Min, who is always by his side, notices it.

I do remember Rand guessing (correctly) that Alanna had been crying, but I can't remember how far apart they were, though I agree that if there is a great distance between them either won't feel anything other than the other being alive.

As for Elayne's labor, isn't there a thing Aes Sedai do to 'dull' or 'dim' the bond so that the other party won't know what's going on? I seem to remember an instance of that, but I am not sure. Assuming my memory is not running away from me on this one, then Elayne could do that, to keep Rand from worrying--if she managed to touch saidar, of course.

I do remember Rand guessing (correctly) that Alanna had been crying, but I can't remember how far apart they were, though I agree that if there is a great distance between them either won't feel anything other than the other being alive.

Yeah that's throughout CoS, which i'm reading at the moment: she's crying (constantly) at the loss of her warder, and he feels it almost everytime he thinks of her. He can't figure out why though. She's in the same city as him, but not in the palace. When she's further away he can simply sense her. Which i guess makes sense with the Elayne conundrum!

How confused would he be with the feelings of 4 women in his head all the time!! Surely he must've worked out a way to kind of... seal them off from his thoughts?

Do you think that the bond would effect the babies? I mean look at the bonding type thing the Aiel do. Its a rebirth. Maybe Rand will fell an extra sense of closeness to his children.

I don't think so.  Wouldn't some of the near sisters who get that special Aiel bonding to each other have children later on?  I don't think I have heard it mentioned about the bond effecting their future children...but I could be wrong.  

and another wonder (this has probably been clarified somewhere when discussing the Greens but i cant remember) does Rand have any sense of Birgitte through his bond to Elayne?

Even if not, at some point (quite possibly before Rand if he survives TG - she is a little older is she not?) Birgitte is going to die. Rand will feel Elayne's grief at her loss; do you think this will just make him feel worse about being bonded to them all, that they will ALL feel that when he's gone (and considerably more as he is more to them than simply a warder).

and another wonder (this has probably been clarified somewhere when discussing the Greens but i cant remember) does Rand have any sense of Birgitte through his bond to Elayne?

No, multiple Warders of one Aes Sedai don't feel each other.

Even if not, at some point (quite possibly before Rand if he survives TG - she is a little older is she not?) Birgitte is going to die. Rand will feel Elayne's grief at her loss; do you think this will just make him feel worse about being bonded to them all, that they will ALL feel that when he's gone (and considerably more as he is more to them than simply a warder).

Whether Birgitte is older than Rand or not is immaterial ... Rand, as a channeler, will live for hundreds of years unless he gets killed.

Yes, he would feel her sadness, and yes, he wouldn't like it, but he's not going to relinquish the bond with his girls, nor would they let him.

As for Elayne's labor, isn't there a thing Aes Sedai do to 'dull' or 'dim' the bond so that the other party won't know what's going on? I seem to remember an instance of that, but I am not sure. Assuming my memory is not running away from me on this one, then Elayne could do that, to keep Rand from worrying--if she managed to touch saidar, of course.

Yes, AS can mask the bond, but there's no way Elayne is gonna have the concentration to do that while going into labor

I magine someone who could literallt tear your hairout with the power getting angry at you during Labor.

They certainly could, and probably would; except that after they get that far along, they can't weave anything. The exact quote is such:

"...you will find that you have difficulty in channeling sometimes. The threads my slip away from you as though greased or fade like mist, so you will have to try again and again to make the simplest wave of hold it. This may grow worse as your pregnancy progresses, and you will not be able to channel at all while in labor or giving birth, but it will come right after the children are born.

relevant quote emphasised

But I imagine that she will have a few harsh words for Rand the next time she sees him. Most women do, for the man that impregnates them.

The next question is, "What is the Healing equivalent to anesthetics?"

Maybe Elayne doesn't get mornig sickness (what a stupid word btw - I had it in he afternoons...), but for me it's pretty obvious that she does suffer from the outburst of hormones one get during pregnancy. It's not the stomach that make pregnant women go crazy sometimes, it's the hormones - and since Elayne does have a *hrm* temper anyway, it will not get milder now. *l*

I've given birth two times, and my husband was in no danger whatsoever at those times. But everyone's different.

Have we ever seen AS (or anyone else) use any form of anesthetics? Besides getting drunk or something? The AS don't need them since it's Healing or death for their patients, and others doesn't seem to have them. When it comes to labour I think that whatever they have is either too week to actually matter, or too dangerous for the babies.

Maybe if Birgitte get really drunk though...

Haha imagine the scene:

Elayne in mid-labour, a doorway opens, Rand jumps out, sword in hand. Sees Elayne, midwife, towels, mess...

Midwife: Push!!

Elayne: AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Rand: AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Midwife: Who the hell are you!? Get out, this woman is having twins!!

Rand: AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Have we ever seen AS (or anyone else) use any form of anesthetics?

I'm sure that some form of anesthetic is in Nynaeve's pharmacological experience, and that there are women in Caemlyn with comparable knowledge.  Whatever they have it unlikely to be as good as say, an epidural, but it should take the edge off.

( ;D Spoken like a man who knows he'll never have to do it, no? )

did they use anything on Mat when they separated him from the dagger? Or was that just the stupor he had fallen into that kept him under?

I'm pretty sure i remember the Tinkers using something on Perrin when they removed the arrow from his shoulder, because i seem to remember Faile tricking him to get him to drink it...

But i think that made him sleepy, which obviously isnt ideal if you're in labour!!

No anesthesia for Mat - he was thrashing and shaking as if they were sucking the very life out of him, which in a way they were, since he had been bonded so long.

I'm sure Graendal or Semirhage knows a way to lessen or eliminate pain with the OP, but we've never seen any of the good guys do anything remotely like it. Elayne will probably be stuck with herbs at best, unless of course Cadsuane lends her Semi as a midwife...

Semhirage knows exactly what to do to create 'immense pleasure' which i take to be an orgasm. I wonder what uses this might have during labour - surely the muscular contractions would help push the baby, whilst the 'sensation' would dull the pain?

How you'd get her to teach it to you though, i'm not so sure!!

Archived