• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know that I hate anyone...RJ wrote the characters in such a fashion that I have this sort of grudging respect for even the most annoying ones because I kind of understand where they're coming from even though they have flaws.

But I find a few of the characters really ANNOYING.

Elayne - I don't think I could handle hanging around her, she's the kind of woman I roll my eyes at a lot.

Elaida - her arrogance is unbelievable, she's the one I come closest to hating.

Romanda - I dislike her more than I dislike Lelaine, she just seems like one of those really old ladies who is used to getting her way and won't budge even if her way is outrightly stupid.

Rand - I know he's the saviour and all, but oh my GOD he's annoying.  Get off your high horse already.  I know I'd end up getting into all kinds of arguments with Rand if he was real.  My favourite moments are when Cadsuane treats him like a spoiled brat.

Sumeko - I wish Nyneave would just slap her in the face already.  She was fine when she had proper respect but she's all full of herself now, and it's really annoying.  It's like Nyneave gave her backbone and now she's rude about it.

There are heaps of characters I love though, even the more annoying ones have a place in my heart somewhere.

For me it would have to be Faile. I hate her with such a passion. LOL She drives me batty, I hate how she treats Perrin and I think Perrin could do OH so much better then her. I like Gawyn but i'm not sure where he is at the moment. Isn't he supossed to be the warder to Egwane? Or something like that.

Oooh, I chose Faile because I hate her, allot. I am sorry to tell those that are fans of Perrin and Faile, buut she ruined him completely for me and that is one of the reasons I hate her. Plus, no offense meant, she is a very strong neusance to say it politely. She is stuck up, gets jelouse way to easily, completely changes Perrin's character and mind ( and what was up with all this nonsense of him being Lord of the Two Rivers >:(), thinks she knows every thing when in truth knows absolutly nothing, turns Perrin away from his buddy Rand :'(, and just rubs me in every wrong way possible. I don't understand it, but I didn't like her the moment I saw her.

Sorry for the rant :-[, like I said she rubs me in all the wrong places.

*agrees with Kass* Falie drives me batty for much the same reasons Kass. Although Elaida, Elyane, Egwane, and Turon (daughter of the nine moons) drive me batty as well. Elyane because she is still fairly childish and I just don't see her being all that great of a Queen she seems a bit snotty and stuck up. Same goes for Egwane, although at the moment she has been demoted to novice and isn't the Amrylin. Turon (spelling) because she just annoys me I can't think up really good reasons but she does annoy me LOL Although she does handle Mat rather well.

I would have to say my most infuriating character is either the First of Mayene, Berelain and the Windfinders!  Berelain is chasing after any man that she thinks might help her country. I'm all for an alliacnce with a stronger nation and all, but dear god women, showing up in a mans bed room late at night in nothing more then a peice of see through silk!!  Not to mention chasing after a man that she knows is completely inlove with somone else!!  And the Windfinders because they think just because they gave the name to something that was found in a dirty dusty store room in a city that wasn't even in their country/terriroty  they can demand all kinds of rediculous things from other people.  I mean can they truely beieve that the Aes Sedai will teach them EVERYTHING they know!!  I sure wouldn't!

I would have to say my most infuriating character is either the First of Mayene, Berelain and the Windfinders!  Berelain is chasing after any man that she thinks might help her country. I'm all for an alliacnce with a stronger nation and all, but dear god women, showing up in a mans bed room late at night in nothing more then a peice of see through silk!!  Not to mention chasing after a man that she knows is completely inlove with somone else!!  And the Windfinders because they think just because they gave the name to something that was found in a dirty dusty store room in a city that wasn't even in their country/terriroty  they can demand all kinds of rediculous things from other people.  I mean can they truely beieve that the Aes Sedai will teach them EVERYTHING they know!!  I sure wouldn't!

the seafolk expect it because they were promised it in a deal... i'm not saying i like the seafolk either, but disliking them because of a deal that elayne and nynaeve made doesnt seem right... and i must admit i do like how the two "aes'sedai" got smacked down in that deal, they were fresh off being raised and thinking they ruled the world now then they get into a bartering match with some masters... then to compound it mat helps them out with the seafolk later, and all but says "next time you need to deal with these sandlickers, give me a call"

I'm am a little annoyed with Egwene for not thinking that Sheriam is Black Ajah--she has pretty much seen everything we have, after all.  Could she not be suspicious at least?

Moiraine is a control freak, so it's good that she "died" for a while.

But Faile?  C'mon, give Perrin a break, will yah?

i wouldnt use hate but extreme frustration is a good way of putting it. when a character makes an opinion about something that will effect the rest of their lives without having all the info and then does something stupid, it makes me want to slap them upside the head. lol. and they are all guilty of doing it, from varying degrees.

• 5 weeks later...

Elayne. If I have to read another hissy fit from that spoiled little brat, I am going to scream. She drives me completely insane. And Rand. He started out so cute, and now he is just a big emo ball of insanity with three women hangning on his arm.

I know, I know. Very strange to hate the protagonist. But I do. I really do.

But I like Faile. I think she truly cares for Perrin, and though her jeolosy sometimes gets out of hand, they probably have the least complicated relationship of all of the characters. And with the whole lord of Two Rivers thing...it was bound to happen. As much as I loved the idea of a sleepy little Two Rivers, it had been touched by war, and needed a leader to help it grow.

Also, I love Nyneave. She may be my favorite character in the whole series. She just seems like the most real to me. She sometimes comes off as arrogant, but that's mostly because she is constantly fighting for respect. It used to be from the women of Two Rivers because she was so young for a Wisdom, and then from Moiraine, and then from the Aes Sedai in general...I just love her to death. I actually love her relationship with Lan. They are just so perfect for eachother.  :D agree, though, that the braid tugging is extremely excessive.

I can't help but wonder to myself if PhoenixDown is reading the same WOT series that I am. Rand al`Thor is the central main hero of the story, and you hate him calling him a emo ball of insanity?? Well, perhaps you ought to remember that Rand is constantly every waking moment of his life for the last 4 or 5 books experiencing such vast amount of physical pain so dangerously painful that it would cause 99.9% of the people in the world to be unable to even function at all.

Everyone who actually senses and really does feel the excruciating real pain  in Rand's body shakes their head and is completely amazed that Rand can even stand. So, now you want to call him an emo ball of insanity? Well, PhoenixDown, something else to think about is that the idea of the LTT personality or soul inside of Rand's mind adds very much to the story, and to the challenges that Rand al`Thor must overcome in order to be succesful at what he is destined to do.

Agreed with Vambram.

Another thing to add to his rant. When you know you are The Dragon Reborn, savior of Randland, defeater of evil, and bound to die on the rocks of Shayol Gul, that has it's toll. But when you get teeny-tiny-brained-won't-think-for-a-single-moment-or-listen-to-reason people (Seanchan, Whitecloaks, Elaida Aes Sedai, Rebels, etc) and get in the way of your plans to defeat the shadow, in the mean time, causing you to get a horrible cursed knife wound on your already bruised and scarred evil-pit-of-doom wound, AND lose your hand......

I'm done.

Got to say that I am kinda dissappointed that I can only vote for one. 

I chose Elayne, cause she is just bloody annoying. If I ever met her in person I would have to bite my tongue.  Her arrogance, her sniffs, her treatment of Rand, of Mat, and her blantant superiority complex just drive me crazy.  I think Randland would be a better place if she fell off her horse and got eaten alive by rabid chipmunks.

Egwene comes in a close second.  Her "We are Aes Sedai,.." so you are beneath us line is just pathetic, and her constant Rand is so full of himself crap, when she is more arrogant by far, is beyond annoying. 

Nynaeve I try to cut some slack, I think she does behave very childish and immaturely, but she has done some great things.

And to agree with Vambram, and Papermache.  I have always liked Rand, and thought he was a good character.  When you have 5 people in your head, one a madman, one a rapist for all intents and purposes, and 3 lovers, plus two ultra mega deadly wounds on top of each other, two heron scars that hurt, two dragons that hurt, you constantly wake up in pain, you have the weight of the entire world on your shoulders, you have Aes Sedai, Wise Ones, Nobles, and others trying to control you, you have Aes Sedai, Wise Ones, Nobles, nations, Whitecloaks, etc trying to kill you, plus the Forsaken, the Seanchan, and rogue Ashaman, I would think that you can be forgiven a little bit for temper, and arrogance.

Does he annoy me occasionly, yes.  But I try to cut him slack especially considering what he has to deal with, and the fact that he is not even that old.  What is he in his early twenties?  I have always thought that he had to become the Dragon Reborn before he really had a chance to become a man, and that is no fault of his own.  Despite all that he has done some amazing things.

Anyway, I am sorry for the rant, I know that everyone has different feelings and reasons for their choices.  I think that is why I love WoT so much, a person can get swept up and feel strongly for characters and situations.

The Sea Folk are pretty horrible, but a lot of that is Rand's fault. If he hadn't been so arrogant and simply let the ta'veren magic happen, he probably wouldn't have be left with the absolutely horrible arrangement they have now.

Of course, Elayne and Nynaeve also screwed things over with the Sea Folk, but at least they put in an honest effort.

Faile drives me crazy as well. I almost hoped that she died while she was a gai'shan to Sevanna, but then I realized I would have to endure several books worth of Perrin being paralyzed by grief.

Hate is a very strong word, so I agree with most of the people who just dislike some characteristics of certain characters. Here is my list:

1. Perrin - STOP Whining about your precious Faile and do your job.  He used to be the coolest character, wiser then Mat and Rand put together, but now... He's got this manic-depression thing going.

2. Elaida - too many problems with this one, don't know where to begin.  First of all, lay off the booze. Secondly get yourself a good shrink. But overall, she is the closets I actually come to hate.

3. Gawyn - he used to be so cool, smart and collected. Unfortunately he's jumped to too many conclusions lately without knowing the whole truth, and that quality of his is quite annoying.

All the rest are ok in my book. I can't believe so many people still hate Nynaeve. She's grown so much over the course of the books, more then any other character.  Rand would be a complete mess without her healing and support, male channelers would destroy the world before the last battle even began, stilling/gentling would be irreversible. And if that's not enough, the memorable chapter from KOD truly showed how wonderfully courageous and selfless she is.  What more can you ask? So what if she tugs at her braid from time to time! She is my most favorite character.

Archived