spigots or caudrens  

114 members have voted

1. 1. spigots or caudrens

• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

Elaida is supposed to be a bad guy, or girl I should say, so I don't have that big of a problem with her being all crazy and annoying, to me, she's just there. If anything, re-reading the books have given me more respect for her, than for say Siuan and the rebel Aes Sedai.

As I've said earlier, they're pretty stupid to go to split up and go to war (not that any sisters blood has been shed yet), over something as trivial as legally deposing an Amyrlin. Sure, it sucks for Siuan, but take a moment and look at the bigger picture. If they're doing the shadows work for them, they're going to end up in a situation that's a whole heck of a lot worse than having a bitch as their leader. And not only that, Siuan who has worked her whole life for this event, actually fabricates a story that makes the tower lose even more of their influence, and demonizes the largest of the Ajahs.

If I had been her, I would have searched for Rand and said: "Hi, I'm Siuan, used to be Amyrlin. Let me help you when you deal with the Tower, as you will have to do sooner or later." At that point Moiraine was still alive, and Siuan, with her contacts should have picked up on Rand entering Cairhien before she'd moved far from Tar Valon.

Anyway, I'm digressing, Siuan is a likable character I guess, but some of her actions are just moronic.

Back to what I was starting to say, it's the good guys that are acting, and thinking, like idiots that really gets to me.

First and foremost Faile with her jealousy in high gear whenever Perrin is looking at anyone or anything but her. Elayne is a close second, when the story tries to make her this fearless, good person, but she's really not. Looks down on people, lies whenever she's able to, even thought she says she is an Aes Sedai and even congratulates herself when she's able to lie, without actually saying something untrue. Not good character traits (examples of that is when she lies to the borderland rulers during their meeting, and her behavior with the guy that leads them to DA i KoD).

I don't know, but I tend to dislike the characters that are in the less fun chapters.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Sea Folk are pretty horrible, but a lot of that is Rand's fault. If he hadn't been so arrogant and simply let the ta'veren magic happen, he probably wouldn't have be left with the absolutely horrible arrangement they have now.

It really has very little, if any, to do with either of the bargains. Anyone who irritates an AS (a real one, not one of the wonder girls) to that extreem has to be the most arrogant race there is. Even the Wise Ones respect, and are respected by the AS. But the Sea Folk......well.

And while you could argue that they only started being cocky after the agreements were made, think on this: how many Sea Folk do we have prolonged contact with before that? Answer: none. The biggest part any had played up to that point was carrying Elayne ans Nyn to Tanchico, and most of that journey was skipped over, and not even mentioned in PoVs afterwards.

Keep in mind that all this is IIRC

And while you could argue that they only started being cocky after the agreements were made, think on this: how many Sea Folk do we have prolonged contact with before that? Answer: none.

Precisely. If it weren't for the bargains, they wouldn't be stuck to the main characters like lamprey eels, and I wouldn't have to hear about them.

There are the characters who are written to be disliked. I call them the ones I like to dislike. Then there are the characters that I think are just terribly written.

The like to dislikes are: Liandrin, Elaida, Slayer/Luc/Isahm, Most of the whitecloaks, Galad and Gawyn, Fain etc.

The absolutely dismal characters because of writing are: FAILE (I can't stress how much I hate her, I tend to skip over most of her stuff in re-reads), Nyanaeve, Elayne, The later Sheriam, Aviendha, Moghedein and Cyndane start to become rather irritating as well.

• 1 month later...

I  dont Hate any of the characters in the series they  all serve their  purposes. i  always  shake my head at people who say they hate Nynaeve,  to me she is one of the few characters who are going through or went through a real change  in their character.  she  had to  change her character at a very  young age to accomadate being the  only child of a father who wanted a son, and then  was apprenticed to  the  wisdom at the time at a very  young age  and was raised to believe that the people of edmonds filed were *her* responsibility  and to put their needs above her own even  though she was taught that she knows what they need better than they  do ( this is  the mind set of most women in  randland BTW) .

Therefore she repressed  any desires she might have had for herself for the "Greater good" so to speak. out of all the  secondary  characters that have been introduced  in the series ( secondary  being everyone who isnt mat rand or perrin) i  think her motivating factors are the most pure  regarding the three taveren she wants to protect them  still to this day. she may  grumble and yank her braid  and fuss and nag at them  but at her core  she  down deep cares about them all and would never do  anything to  really hurt them.

She really  outside of the main 3  has undergone the MOST transformation  in  her  persona for the better  while retaining her loyalty to her  "edmonds fielders" . her feelings  towards mat perrin and rand are reflected in the ways they  think about her as well even though they say  how  she nags and yanks her braid at them endlessly she is a pillar to them in  their own POVs  mat who she  nags the most  is still  concerned with keeping Nynaeve safe  even when he is furious with her.

Nynaeve  doesnt consider her  braid yanking and  fussing at the 3  men  as disrespectful and they havent ever in  any of their POV  alluded to feeling disrespected  by her,  she mothers them  but at the same time they know when push comes to  shove  she will have their  back and has. 

I really didn't think Nynaeve had changed that much since the first book. She was bitchy to people then and still is now. That's why she is annoying to a lot of us. Not to say she doesn't have any redeeming qualities when it comes down to it. Just wish she could do her part without all the bitchy nagging and complaining about everybody else.

And I would venture to say Mat felt pretty disrespected after saving them in the stone of Tear and the way he was treated on the way to and in Ebou Dar. Even Birgitte and Aviendha thought Nynaeve and Elayne were treating him badly. :)

All of the Seanchan with their sul'dam. Man, I hate these guys with all my passion.

Their damane treatment drives me nuts. I can't imagine how cruel and heartless you must be to do this to a woman... unbelievable.

The oddly thing is that I couldn't hate any of the real bad guys in the book - darkfriends/forsakens.

And as far as I can see from the posts above, you feel the same.

Maybe because they act without emotions, like soldiers. They just serve DO. And I like soldiers, even the bad ones.

I guess I'm one of the few who actually likes Faile.  She's strong.  She knows what she wants and she doesn't give up.  Even as a prisoner of the Shaido she kept her head.  The jealousy is overdone and annoying, but she truly loves Perrin and I want them to work. ;)

Berelain is my least favorite. I hate Berelain.  Ugh.  It's her fault Faile is so jealous all the time, and she only creates problems.

Archived