DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Whats the Point?

Maerirn

I've noticed a lot of talk about Asmodean, and I wonder why the big deal, Take into consideration I just Finished Crown of Swords, so please no spoilers, but I thought that when Rand went to fight Rahvin, that Balefire brought his friends back to life. I do not recall what happened to this character. I take it that I will know in the next couple books? I do not even remember the character dying?

Maerirn

Asmodean was killed as he wandered around the palace at Caemlyn, looking for wine, after the battle with Rahvin was over. It was written rather mysteriously (hence the ongoing argument), but honestly, I didn't really care when it happened. The theories are fun to read. ^_^

I've always kind of operated under the assumption that in a later book, we will be told definitively who did it. Now, this has been my idea for about 3 books now, so I'm running out of time..... but I've never let it bother my head too much.

Asmodean, the Foresaken that was tricked and captured by Rand and Lanfear and forced to teach Rand how to channel is killed, and the way it's described leaves nothing but questions as to who and how, and you don't remember?  Wow.

I can't remember it either actually ::)

But when I discovered that it did happen, I wanted to know who did it lol.

After rereading the sentence when he dies I remember, but I cannot recall the details. All i know is that after the balefire was used to kill rahvin, aviendha,asmodean and others were brought back to life, as if they never died. Now i do not recall where asmodean went after that, or for what reason.

After rereading the sentence when he dies I remember, but I cannot recall the details. All i know is that after the balefire was used to kill rahvin, aviendha,asmodean and others were brought back to life, as if they never died. Now i do not recall where asmodean went after that, or for what reason.

While Rand is upstairs in the palace talking to the nobles, and Mat and Aviendha are sitting by the fountain talking, Asmodean wanders the palace looking a pantry or similar with a decent bottle of wine. As he walks he contemplates the philisophical implications of how he was dead and came back and how he intended to cling to Rand's support as long as it would last. Though he made a point of how he still uses the term "Great Lord of the Dark" in his head despite what Rand demands of his speech, indicating Asmodean was just as much on the side of the Shadow as ever in his own mind. He opened the door to go into a room, said "You? No!" and then, to quote "death took him."

hmm. I have read the theories on why it can't be a male forsaken, but what about a gholam, or Arangar?..

that is unless the Dark Lords power isnt felt like normal saidin.

All common questions to ask.

Can't be a gholam, because he says "You?" as if he recognizes the person about to kill him. A gholam is a creature, and Asmodean most likely would not have said "You?" as he would to a person he recognizes. He most likely would have just screamed, just said "No!" etc.

Can't be Aran'gar, because, again, it has to be someone he recognized, enough for him simply recognizing them to cause fear. He'd never met Aran'gar, and thus could not have recognized her.

I'm not sure if that link Lucker's cited mentions this, but one other thing RJ said was that all the clues needed were in the first five books - that automatically rules out any creature / person we didn't know about until after that time. Also, as it has to be obvious to even the casual reader (to paraphrase RJ), that also rules out any creature / person we were just getting to know by the end of book five as we need to know that creature / person's abilities and motives strongly enough to find them the obvious answer.

• 1 month later...

I am still surprised by the amount of controversy surrounding Asmo's death.  I read that it happened and thought, hmmm...okay.  I figured that maybe it would come about later on, but alas nothing decisive.  I think I could die okay, not knowing the answer to this one....lol.

Over the years and multiple rereads I've gone from "It was Lanfear, darnnit!!" to "It had to be Graendal, its intuitively obvious(whatever's thats supposed to mean)" to I simply dont care.  Yet I still really really want to know who killed him.  Its bloody annoying not to know.

I'm not sure if that link Lucker's cited mentions this, but one other thing RJ said was that all the clues needed were in the first five books - that automatically rules out any creature / person we didn't know about until after that time. Also, as it has to be obvious to even the casual reader (to paraphrase RJ), that also rules out any creature / person we were just getting to know by the end of book five as we need to know that creature / person's abilities and motives strongly enough to find them the obvious answer.

I.E. This rules out Taim. It dwindles the suspects to Graendal (intuitively obvious though?), Lanfear (hey, wasn't she dead or imprisoned though?), Slayer (Did Asmo even know him?), or Bela (Horses don't kill people...OR DO THEY?)

I.E. This rules out Taim. It dwindles the suspects to Graendal (intuitively obvious though?), Lanfear (hey, wasn't she dead or imprisoned though?), Slayer (Did Asmo even know him?), or Bela (Horses don't kill people...OR DO THEY?)

Mmm. Not nessasarily--it makes Taim very much unlikely--pretty much absurdly impossible--but it doesn't fully rule him out.

But yeah, it was obviously Graendal. *smiles and waits*.

I'm probably gonna have to cut accross here. Forum policy is to keep the Asmo discussions in the Asmo threads unless something very strange and new is being discussed (or if it only touches on Asmo's death but covers other matters). Since this thread seems to be diverging into the normal semantics discussion id probably direct everyone to take it to the official threads.

Thanks guys.

But yeah, it was obviously Graendal. *smiles and waits*.

Wow, we agree on something. I've been the Graendal camp for a couple of years now.

Yeah, its the only one that works on all the different fronts--and works solidly.

Archived