DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's List of Dead Chicks

Faelene

Hey guys,

Faelene here, asking another random question for my artwork. ( I asked before which finger Elayne wore her Serpent ring, and was suprised when someone actually knew. :o)

I need your extensive knowledge of the series, since I have about the worst memory ever.    Does anyone know which book Rand starts keeping a list of the women he feels responsible for killing?  Would it be about the time Moiraine had that cat fight with Lanfear?  Or better yet, does anyone know specific times when he starts rambling off that list?  I know he does, just can't remember when.

I'm working on ideas for my submission to the WoT calendar and am possibly going to use this list.  I'd like to use the actual names referenced in the book

I know its a long shot, but if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.    ;)

He goes through it at least once in ACoS, ch 2, The Butcher's Yard, as he adds the names of the Maiden's killed at Dumai's Wells.  Of course, its not a complete list (I don't think he ever does one).  And, if you're looking for a dramatic backdrop, the charnal house that was Dumai's Wells would be very dark.  Here's an exerpt with him naming the Maidens (Perrin's POV):

Last night he had walked away from the wagons to be by himself, and as the sound of men laughing because they were alive faded behind him, he found Rand.  The Dragon Reborn, who made the world tremble, sitting on the ground, alone in the dark, his arms wrapped around himself, rocking back and forth.

To Perrin's eyes, the moon was nearly as good as the sun, but right then he wished for pitch blackness.  Rand's face was drawn and twisted, the face of a man who wanted to scream, or maybe weep, and was fighting it down with every scrap of his fiber.  Whatever trick the Aes Sedai knew to keep the heat from touching them, Rand and the Asha'man knew, too, but he was not using it now.  The night's heat would have done for a more-than-warm summer day, and sweat slid down Rand's cheeks as much as Perrin's.

He did not look around, though Perrin's boots rustled loudly in the dead grass, yet he spoke hoarsely, still rocking.  "One hundred and fifty-one, Perrin.  One hundred and fifty-one Maidens died today.  For me.  I promised them, you see.  Don't argue with me!  Shut up!  Go away!"  Despite his sweat, Rand shivered.  "Not you, Perrin; not you.  I have to keep my promises, you see.  Have to, no matter how it hurts.  But I have to keep my promise to myself, too.  No matter how it hurts."

Perrin tried not to think about the fate of men who could channel.  The lucky ones died before they went mad; the unlucky died after.  Whether Rand was lucky or unlucky, everything rested on him.  Everything.  "Rand, I don't know what to say, but -"

Rand seemed not to hear.  Back and forth he rocked.  Back and forth.  "Isan, of the Jarra Sept of the Chareen Aiel.  She died for me today.  Chuonde of the Spine Ridge Miagoma.  She died for me today.  Agirin of the Shelan Daryne ..."

A Crown of Swords, ch 2.

Three other names that we know are on the list are Moiraine Damodred, Liah, of the Cosaida Chareen, and Ilyena Sunhair.  There are others, of course, but that scene always captured the pathos of Rand's list to me.  Alone, in the dark, hugging himself, tears and sweat streaking his face, rocking back and forth, crooning on the edge of insanity.

i think rand actually begins keeping track of women that died at his hand back with the darkfriend in the barn, the little girl he couldnt revive at the stone is also on his list with the numerous maidens, aes sedai.....ironically i dont believe he put the AS who held him in the box on that list (the ones who actually died. or who he thought dies)

I always thought that the list started when he said that the Maiden's carried his honor, and then they wanted to fight for him. So after the first aiel fighting action, where Maiden's died fighting for him, was when the list started.

Maybe when they were coming out of the Waste and they had that battle with the trollocs...

:-* Wow, guys thanks for the help!  With everyone's help (Zardi gave me a butt load of names!)  So far this is the list I've compiled with your info. . . I'll check the places you have mentioned.  But this is a great list to work from already.

1.Desora of the Musara Reyn,

2.Lamelle of the Smoke Water Miagoma,

3.Liah of the Cosaida Chareen.

4.Laigin Arnault of the Red Ajah

5.Colavaere

6.Jendhilin of the Cold Peak Miagoma

7. Moiraine Damodred

8. Isan, of the Jarra Sept of the Chareen Aiel. 

9.  Chuonde of the Spine Ridge Miagoma. 

10. Agirin of the Shelan Daryne

11. Ilyena Sunhair

12. Gille, the damane

There was also a Damane that died, I think her name was Gilly? Something along those lines anyway. It will be in one of the scenes from TPOD about the battle against the Seanchan. I guess when Rand is locked in the box in WH might be another place to look.

Don't forget that at a certain point Lews Therin adds Illeyna to the list, and, if I remember correctly, from that moment on she heads it. I always found that slightly touching and funny.

I can find the reference if you need it.

By the way, good job making me join the forums to reply.

GoodGrief, you're right, as it turns out; WH Ch. 34 has "Her name always headed the list...". I can't find the bit about Callandor, but that's probably there someplace. I think I assumed the list went chronologically by death. Rand is not that orderly.

Illyena gets slipped in in Lord of Chaos, much earlier than I remembered - Ch. 26.

Hi There,

I've just finished book 5 (tFoH) and it is at the end of this book that Moiraine and Lanfear go through the archway.

As it was Moiraine's death (or rather his weakness and inability to kill Lanfear, resulting in Moiraine's so-called death) that kickstarted his 'list all the women who die because of me' thing, I'd say it was book 6, which i'm currently on.

• 14 years later...