DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brandon Sanderson S2 Finale Reaction Video

TheMountain

On 10/25/2023 at 4:27 PM, Max Delpo said:

In ep1s1 cold open (literally the beginning) Liandrin said: "When you touch the source, you make it filthy. That power is for the woman, the woman alone"

For the watchers there is clearly just one source, till now

----

In the books there is also only one source, just two parts of it. 

6 hours ago, ilovezam said:

Brando talks more about Wheel of Time S2 and his finale reaction on his podcast here (21:39 onwards):

I think the main reason one piece worked so well is that it's not too serious. It has serious parts, it has legitimate drama, but it also has a lot of sillyness. And that kind of tone does not need to be super consistent: it can get away with rule of cool and rule of funny in a way that a more serious work like wheel of time cannot. 

2 minutes ago, Max Delpo said:

Yes, of course. It was just for simplify: for the show watchers, everyone channel the same part

The quote doesn't indicate that though. i don't know what non readers have understood as I haven't asked any, but I don't think that scene misleads or misrepresents vis a vis this. (the making it filthy is a different point.) 

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

The quote doesn't indicate that though. i don't know what non readers have understood as I haven't asked any, but I don't think that scene misleads or misrepresents vis a vis this. (the making it filthy is a different point.) 

And it is not entirely out of character for someone like Liandrin to actually believe that men channeling taints everything.  People fear and distrust Aes Sedai partially because of the ruin male Aes Sedai wrought.

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Max Delpo said:

Yes, of course. It was just for simplify: for the show watchers, everyone channel the same part

They don't. Saidar and Saidin still exist in the show, they just haven't fleshed that detail out yet.

On 10/27/2023 at 2:07 PM, king of nowhere said:

I think the main reason one piece worked so well is that it's not too serious. It has serious parts, it has legitimate drama, but it also has a lot of sillyness. And that kind of tone does not need to be super consistent: it can get away with rule of cool and rule of funny in a way that a more serious work like wheel of time cannot. 

Still all the humorous and funny parts of WOT books are lost in the adaptation

Of course, the two series have a very different tone but, from Ep. 1 S1, just from the depiction of Em..ehm Two Rivers,  it is clear that they were trying to paint it with a darker tone...and then they filled it with too much non-sense drama/mistery (who is the Dragon, Moraine walk of shame/exile, is she stilled/shielded, the pointless bond storyline) at the cost of incredibly subtracting from adventure, worldbuilding, cool moments and also some funny ones.

On 10/27/2023 at 4:47 PM, Skipp said:

And it is not entirely out of character for someone like Liandrin to actually believe that men channeling taints everything.  People fear and distrust Aes Sedai partially because of the ruin male Aes Sedai wrought.

also Black Ajah it is in character to also give misinformation and lie? 

Edited by Scarloc99

On 10/29/2023 at 8:48 AM, fra85uk said:

Still all the humorous and funny parts of WOT books are lost in the adaptation

Of course, the two series have a very different tone but, from Ep. 1 S1, just from the depiction of Em..ehm Two Rivers,  it is clear that they were trying to paint it with a darker tone...and then they filled it with too much non-sense drama/mistery (who is the Dragon, Moraine walk of shame/exile, is she stilled/shielded, the pointless bond storyline) at the cost of incredibly subtracting from adventure, worldbuilding, cool moments and also some funny ones.

What funny moments are in the book, even after multiple multiple read throughs there is nothing that makes me smile or laugh personally? 

On 10/30/2023 at 6:05 AM, Scarloc99 said:

What funny moments are in the book, even after multiple multiple read throughs there is nothing that makes me smile or laugh personally? 

Really? I think there are a whole bunch of smile worthy moments with Mat in the later books… 

Though, as has been said, the tone of the whole series is not the “silly, comic-book/anime” feel that One Piece has.

And, for crying out loud, One Piece had legit sword fight/fighting sequences. 

Apart from Blood Snow, their editing in WoT has shown me that the directors don’t know how to film action sequences - which is a huge problem! 

• RP - PLAYER
6 minutes ago, DreadLord31 said:

Apart from Blood Snow, their editing in WoT has shown me that the directors don’t know how to film action sequences - which is a huge problem! 

I saw on Twitter (no idea how accurately) that the director of that scene is directing, well has directed, three or four (I forget) of the Season Three episodes.

2 minutes ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

https://www.wotseries.com/2023/02/06/the-wheel-of-time-season-3-first-director-revealed/

Just checked it out rather than spreading baseless information from something that may or may not be true. But it certainly seems to be. 

It’s definitely true. Donnelly has 3 episodes in S3. Good news for people who are looking for better action scenes. 

2 hours ago, DreadLord31 said:

And, for crying out loud, One Piece had legit sword fight/fighting sequences. 

i liked one piece a lot, but the action sequences had a fake/staged feeling to them. it works for the anime, because it's the kind of story you don't take 100% seriously. not so much for wheel of time. the aviendha sequence was a lot better than anything in one piece. the lan vs myrdraal would have been, except that the fades conveniently stopped attacking and took their time looming ominously whenever lan was down.

23 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

i liked one piece a lot, but the action sequences had a fake/staged feeling to them. it works for the anime, because it's the kind of story you don't take 100% seriously. not so much for wheel of time. the aviendha sequence was a lot better than anything in one piece. the lan vs myrdraal would have been, except that the fades conveniently stopped attacking and took their time looming ominously whenever lan was down.

Fight scenes in OP are exaggerated but stylish and well filmed

In WOT we are almost at amateur level of fighting and directing.

• RP - PLAYER
10 minutes ago, fra85uk said:

In WOT we are almost at amateur level of fighting and directing.

I think many people would agree the editing of the fight scenes is frustrating as it switches camera angles so quickly it is difficult to appreciate what is happening. And I have seen many comment they would like larger scale set pieces. But to call it amateur level, is objectively incorrect and insulting. 

1 hour ago, Mirefox said:

Except Moiraine witnessed the scene.  Liandrin couldn’t be lying in this scene or Moiriane would have identified her as black.

I doubt Moiraine could have heard Liandrin from the cliff overlooking the event

7 hours ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

I think many people would agree the editing of the fight scenes is frustrating as it switches camera angles so quickly it is difficult to appreciate what is happening. And I have seen many comment they would like larger scale set pieces. But to call it amateur level, is objectively incorrect and insulting. 

Honestly, in this particular case I can say to be an expert because I have been practiced martial arts for 20 years, been a pro, a champ and I have coreographated fights that went on TV.

Fight scenes are terrible in this show but at least this is not a big problem because they just decided to go all in on drama and there are very few of them.

• RP - PLAYER
22 minutes ago, fra85uk said:

Honestly, in this particular case I can say to be an expert because I have been practiced martial arts for 20 years, been a pro, a champ and I have coreographated fights that went on TV.

Fight scenes are terrible in this show but at least this is not a big problem because they just decided to go all in on drama and there are very few of them.

Appeal to authority is a logical fallacy. I would suggest you come better armed to a discussion with me. 

8 minutes ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

Appeal to authority is a logical fallacy. I would suggest you come better armed to a discussion with me. 

Ok, lack of fluidity in the movements, lack of a nice flow in swordfights, the strength of hits is not sold, editing obliged to cut fast to sell you that something good is happening while it's not, fights almost always in the dark. so you cannot understand again what's going on (because what's going on is not good).

Just for comparison, look at how Henry Cavill plays the Witcher and how believable he is in his fights.

• RP - PLAYER

I can certainly to most points, though fluidity I would say is debatable, it more a case of not being able to see what is flowing rather than a lack of it. 

4 minutes ago, fra85uk said:

Ok, lack of fluidity in the movements, lack of a nice flow in swordfights, the strength of hits is not sold, editing obliged to cut fast to sell you that something good is happening while it's not, fights almost always in the dark. so you cannot understand again what's going on (because what's going on is not good).

Just for comparison, look at how Henry Cavill plays the Witcher and how believable he is in his fights.

Hmm, ballsed that up somehow, but meh...