DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thoughts on the article at Wotseries.com re: Aviendha, Perrin etc.

nsmallw

I've thought about this a  lot. Even if this is Aviendha, this does not necessarily mean that there is no Gaul in the series.  Gaul and Aviendha, for example, could be related, and Gaul can assume Aviendha's life debt when Aviendha must go to be a Wise Woman or go with Perrin for some other reason.

Also, this could be the script for Gaul and they used the same audition script for multiple Aiel.  Or they could have gender-switched Gaul. 

Edited by WhiteVeils

Yeah, I don't see anything in that transcript that points specifically to Aviendha as we know her.  Except for the Sept and Clan, of course.  It's pretty clear that it is whatever passes for Gaul in the show.

My guess is that, if that actually ends up in the show as it appears, it will be a gender-switched Gaul.

18 minutes ago, Andra said:

Yeah, I don't see anything in that transcript that points specifically to Aviendha as we know her.  Except for the Sept and Clan, of course.  It's pretty clear that it is whatever passes for Gaul in the show.

My guess is that, if that actually ends up in the show as it appears, it will be a gender-switched Gaul.

If true, not a big surprise.

2 hours ago, Andra said:

Maybe roll Bain and Chiad into the Gaul character as well remove that love triangle.

31 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Highly doubt they remove a love triangle where two women are in charge of a man.  But maybe the 'Gaul' character has gender dysphoria?

Can see them making those three characters into 1 female character who is friends with Faile and Perrins offsider

43 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

If they do gender-switch Gaul it could introduce the idea of Brother-Husbands. That said, Bain and Chiad don't really do that much anyway.

Agreed on Bain and Chiad.  Their interactions with Gaul, Faile, and Perrin are their only point.  I like it in the books, but won't miss it if it is gone.

17 hours ago, Andra said:

The Sept and Clan were added in by Wotseries under the assumption that it was Aviendha. The actual script had fake names and words for everything.

6 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Highly doubt they remove a love triangle where two women are in charge of a man.  But maybe the 'Gaul' character has gender dysphoria?

It's a bit of a stretch to say that Bain and Chiad are "in charge" of Gaul given that they end up gaishain to him by the end of series and won't be able to get married even after their time is up unless they give up the spear.

I like the idea of it being Aviendha, actually. It would be a clever way to weave Perrin's trauma in to the concept of ji e toh. It could provide some more Rand/Perrin jealousy fodder (which will pay off in Darth Rand) and also give Avi more to do at the end - putting her in T'a'R instead of Gaul could be a sensible way to tie her story up.

Of course, it could still be Gaul. And Gaul could still be a dude. Just because a woman read for a particular part doesn't mean that men weren't also considered. 

20 minutes ago, Nik said:

It's a bit of a stretch to say that Bain and Chiad are "in charge" of Gaul given that they end up gaishain to him by the end of series and won't be able to get married even after their time is up unless they give up the spear.

Gaul was only interested in one of them.  But he had to accept the other to be in any kind of relationship.  They were in charge - dictating the terms that he had to take or leave.

1 minute ago, DojoToad said:

Gaul was only interested in one of them.  But he had to accept the other to be in any kind of relationship.  They were in charge - dictating the terms that he had to take or leave.

That's not being in charge, that's just how relationships work. When you enter into a relationship with someone, you can't expect them to give up their pre-existing relationships for you (whether romantic or otherwise).

25 minutes ago, Nik said:

That's not being in charge, that's just how relationships work. When you enter into a relationship with someone, you can't expect them to give up their pre-existing relationships for you (whether romantic or otherwise).

I agree that is not how relationships should work.  But I've seen some where men aren't allowed to speak with other women and vice versa.  Crazy world we live in.

Yes, as a life-long monogamist, I tend to get blinders on to other lifestyles/cultures/options.  In this case Gaul only wanted Chiad.  But she said he could only be in relationship with her if he accepted Bain as well.  It was his choice to accept or decline - but the women set the conditions.  They were in charge of the relationship conditions if he chose to accept their terms.

Edited by DojoToad

well, the point is that a relationship is entered by mutual agreement of all parties involved.

anyway, some of those lines gave me a romantic vibe, so I wonder if maybe they merged gaul with faile, creating an aiel love interest for perrin that he rescues from whitecloaks.

i'd say all options are open at this point.

i also do like using the aiel ways to try and fix perrin's trauma. the aiel way is certainly very effective at dealing with trauma and loss.

7 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

anyway, some of those lines gave me a romantic vibe, so I wonder if maybe they merged gaul with faile

So you're saying Gaul/Faile as opposed to Gaul/Avi/Faile or Avi/Gaul?

I don't like blending all three characters. But I could see Gaul being replaced by an amalgam of Bain & Chiad and then having that character take Faile's place.

I'm not understanding any of the possible combinations here.

Why would Perrin need a tie to the Aiel?  I never really thought about this before, but the three Ta'veren each brought a large group to the table:

• Rand - Aiel and Sea Folk (with a big assist from Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne)
  • Mat - Seanchan and anyone that sees how well runs a battle
  • Perrin - the 'normal' people from the Westlands.  People that saw the Last Battle coming but for whatever reason didn't want to attach themselves directly to the Dragon Reborn or Mat.

All that to say - Perrin doesn't need an Aiel attachment.  Or am I going too far to the book side?