DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

KoD: What does Thom see that he shouldn't have?

Iceman

OK... so I'm rereading the part where Mat, Thom, Tuon, and Selucia visit the hell. When they're leaving, they get into a little scuffle outside, resulting in Mat killing 7 guys with swords and Tuon saving him by killing a woman coming at him with a knife.

He turns around and sees a dozen other dead guys where Tuon, Selucia and Thom were "having fun".

Thom says to Selucia (not an exact quote)"I'm an old man and sometimes I see things I know couldn't have happened."

She replys cautiously, "What do you think you saw?"

He says, "I can't remember now and I think that's best."

She nods at him.

Soooooo... ???

Did Thom see Tuon Channelling or what?!

Did Thom see Selucia Channelling?

Did Thom see Tuon and Selucia merge into a 9 headed beast and bite all those guys heads off and then split apart again before anyone noticed?

Thoughts? Ideas? It was only a 4 line blip of conversation between them, but now it's got me wondering... :?

At this point wasn't Selucia a Forsaken (Graendal?) pretending to be Tuon's Speaker of Truth?

If so, I think it would be that he saw Selucia channel and the "forgot" what he saw.

Tuon can wear the bracelet, meaning she can learn to channel, but I don't know if she's been with it long enough that she can see a woman channeling, etc.

Either way, I've voting either Option 2 or 3

He saw Selucia in "DeathGod version" with a huge soul slayer as a blade and her bankai release!

But even the nine head beast would be nice :wink: :D

P.s. I agree with PrinceoftheRavens; she wants to keep secret that she's a deadly fighter despite her appearance.

Guest Barmacral
He saw her kicking major booty. Mat's foxhead would have cooled if there was channeling that near him.

No. It would only cool if someone channeled at him. Or else it would constantly be cold while he was in Salidar, and yet he specifically stated that it went cold when Halima channeled at him in Salidar. (Although he didn't realize it was her)

No. It would only cool if someone channeled at him. Or else it would constantly be cold while he was in Salidar' date=' and yet he specifically stated that it went cold when Halima channeled at him in Salidar. (Although he didn't realize it was her)[/quote']

Then explain how he was alerted to the fight in the Aes Sedai/sul'dam wagon.

Also, shouldn't Logain have felt Aran'gar do that?

I think it's a matter of degrees, i.e. it goes colder if the channelling is directed at him.

Reasons why he might not have felt it:

1) It wasn't touching his skin.

2) He was distracted by the fighting.

3) It wasn't ice cold because the channeling occurred outside.

He saw her kicking major booty. Mat's foxhead would have cooled if there was channeling that near him.

Mat's foxhead has gone cool just from women embracing Saidar... when he was very close. I had not thought of that... BUT, he may have been distracted from it as well. Fighting for your life with over half a dozen guys will do that.

It might have been as simple as Selucia showing off her fighting skills... it just doesn't seem like Thom would be so amazed by that. But then, he is very skilled at the Game of Houses... and he might see that she's doing her best to hide her abilities as a deft bodyguard from everyone (that might have produced that reaction, I suppose).

Option #3 does sound far fetched, but you know those darn Sean-chan! Where do you think the To-Raken come from?! :shock:

and Megon... Selucia is not Tuon's Speaker of Truth... therefore, not the forsaken you're thinking of.

About the medallion it's a matter of degree as it has been said, another evidence: when Mat went in the aes sedai wagon he did not believe their first explanation and said something like "that doesn't match with what I felt, there was a lot of channeling here". He can judge if a woman is channeling and how much/ has only embraced Saidar or is channeling at him by the cold sensation the medallion gives.

And since he got the medallion he has had a lot of practice, since he was always near someone channeling. :roll:

Guest Barmacral
No. It would only cool if someone channeled at him. Or else it would constantly be cold while he was in Salidar' date=' and yet he specifically stated that it went cold when Halima channeled at him in Salidar. (Although he didn't realize it was her)[/quote']

Then explain how he was alerted to the fight in the Aes Sedai/sul'dam wagon.

Also, shouldn't Logain have felt Aran'gar do that?

Could you tell me where in the books the fight was? I don't remember it offhand and I need to go back and check it, if its in KoD I can't check it as I have lent my book out to my cousin.

I don't believe Logain was healed by that point, so he likely wouldn't have felt it, but if he was healed, he very possibly would be too far away to feel the channeling. Especially if it was a small flow that didn't use much of the power.

It was in KoD, chapter 7, appropriately titled "A Cold Medallion". Mat is over by the entrance to the main circus tent talking to the Seanchan officer when he feels the wagon go off.

Hm, "when he feels the wagon go off", that's a new phrase.

Logain had been healed even before Egwene got there. And Mat got there in the middle of the Amyrlin-raising festivities.

Salidar isn't all that large, but I suppose distance could be the reason. And the mechanics of channeling are still a bit of a mystery to me as far as ability to sense versus size of flow and whatnot. And the Asmodean arguments tell me sometimes that I'm not the only one unclear on the subject.

Logain was Healed before Mat got to Salidar, remember he leaves with Nynaeve and Elayne. But he was shielded, so wouldn't have felt it, I think. But that is why "Halima" was making Delana always try to get the Hall to gentle him--or kill him--so she could channel with impunity.

There was no channeling outside the hell in Maderin, Thom was referring to having just seen a "ladies' maid" fight like the trained assasin/bodyguard that Selucia really is.

Guest Barmacral

The KoD thing I won't be able to talk about, its been too long since I read it and I don't have the book here.

As for Logain feeling things in Salidar, I don't think the shield would prevent a person from sensing the source, however, I do think that Logain either 1. Didn't feel it due to weave size/distance or 2. Felt it and didn't bother comment on it, which he could very well do, as we know of his hatred of Aes Sedai.

He saw Selucia fight, and recognized her for what she was, a bodyguard. He was letting her know that he wouldn't reveal it.

At this point wasn't Selucia a Forsaken (Graendal?) pretending to be Tuon's Speaker of Truth?

No, she wasn't a Forsaken. Anath Djore, Tuon's Truespeaker, weas the Forsaken. And it was Semirhage.

It was most likely Tuon observing mat fight the guys, to see if he was worthy. And we see mat sensing women channeling when kadere confronts thom at the end of KoD. Mat rides up and the aes sedai and the damanae try to sheild each other.

Archived