DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How different do you think the show would have been with 10 episodes, and if they had been given a full budget (like GOT season 1 funding) and if Mat hadn't been recast? (SPOILERS)

Dagon Thyne

5 hours ago, fra85uk said:

The Witcher is more action-fantasy and the action is generally quite good, it is a nice selling point and it also has some humour. You could see that it was going to improve as it did.

WoT show does not Have one single real strength:

Action has been little and poorly done

Dialogues are weak

Drama is abysmal (Eg-Rand-Perrin triangle)

And the angle of the sun is incorrect, while the grass cover is not what you imagine it ought to be.

Personally I think the 8 episode thing could have worked if they were adapting New Spring first as that book is much shorter and there is more time to introduce the background of the world and DR reborn prophesy. Then if the show proved successful they could get 10 episodes for the main series. Although I think 13 is better, particularly if we are merging multiple books into a season going forward.

4 hours ago, SingleMort said:

Personally I think the 8 episode thing could have worked if they were adapting New Spring first as that book is much shorter and there is more time to introduce the background of the world and DR reborn prophesy. 

I think going further back may have been better.

Exploring the Age of Legends...just think about that;

Seeing the respected philosopher, Elan Morin Tedronai teaching...

Find out what Ared Mosinel was really doing as he loved power more than anything it seems...

Seeing why Barid Bel Medar is so acclaimed...

The friendship between Lews Therin and the great archer and swordsman Tel Janin Aellinsar...

Watching the famed biologist Ishar Morrad Chuain performing one of his scary unethical genetic experiments...

Seeing the historian Eval Ramman losing at gambling, and his temper...

Watching Joar Addam Nessosin giving a so-so performance on stage...

Seeing Duram Laddel Cham win a game of stones against Lews Therin...

That self-absorbed bitch Mierin Eronaile doing research at the Collam Daan, probably bumping into a departing Saine Tarasind who was turned down for a position there...

The gifted renowned restorer Nemene Damendar Boann doling out a little pain with the healing, when she isn't doing needlepoint...

*purrs* Kamarile Maradim Nindar...find out if she really was as her name means; a "vessel of pleasure." What? She was an ascetic..what a tease that must have been for a noted voluptuous beauty...

Find out what it means to be an investment advisor that Lilen Moiral was supposed to be...

And in the background we have the great cities, the technology, the details of other folk...

Eight episodes of all of this...ending in a massive apocalyptic boom...that entailed a slow takeover.

Enter the 2nd season and the War of Power.

15 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

Find out what Ared Mosinel was really doing as he loved power more than anything it seems...

The friendship between Lews Therin and the great archer and swordsman Tel Janin Aellinsar...

Watching the famed biologist Ishar Morrad Chuain performing one of his scary unethical genetic experiments...

That self-absorbed bitch Mierin Eronaile doing research at the Collam Daan, probably bumping into a departing Saine Tarasind who was turned down for a position there...

The gifted renowned restorer Nemene Damendar Boann doling out a little pain with the healing, when she isn't doing needlepoint...

*purrs* Kamarile Maradim Nindar...find out if she really was as her name means; a "vessel of pleasure." What? She was an ascetic..what a tease that must have been for a noted voluptuous beauty...

Find out what it means to be an investment advisor that Lilen Moiral was supposed to be...

And in the background we have the great cities, the technology, the details of other folk...

Eight episodes of all of this...ending in a massive apocalyptic boom...that entailed a slow takeover.

This would be a show that i would love and it would be easier to do in two/three seasons. Would still be Wot material and writers could Have more freedom without Having to contradict lore or books.

Also They could Have a legitimate love triangle for the main characters (Mierin <3)

On 1/7/2022 at 9:17 PM, flinn said:

Pretty sure I read Algemar had already moved on to something else. Instead of replacing the actor, they just killed off the character and they have the next actor/character already set up.

I think you're thinking of the actor originally cast as Ingtar.

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2022 at 12:13 AM, DaddyFinn said:

He was changed to Lord Yakota and got killed in episode 8.

Wow, I don't know this before. Thanks for sharing this information with us. I was searching for this https://www.topessaywriting.org/samples/information-science-and-technology website online because I want to write an essay on information science and technology and when I was searching for it online, by mistake I clicked on your post link.

Edited by ElizabethAustin

On 1/10/2022 at 10:54 AM, Gothic Flame said:

On 1/10/2022 at 11:14 AM, fra85uk said:

This would be a show that i would love and it would be easier to do in two/three seasons. Would still be Wot material and writers could Have more freedom without Having to contradict lore or books.

Also They could Have a legitimate love triangle for the main characters (Mierin <3)

It looks like they are actually working on just this.

But as a feature-film trilogy, rather than a TV series.

Wheel of Time Prequel Film Trilogy In The Works - Bounding Into Comics

5 hours ago, Gothic Flame said:

Hmm...dated last July. Is there any movement from then?

I've seen more recent articles, but they just refer back to this.  Or to the Hollywood Reporter article this one links to.

Zack Stentz to Pen Script for ‘Wheel of Time’ Movie Adaptation – The Hollywood Reporter

Nothing new from Amazon since then.  But IMDB does show a project with this title as being "in development."  Of course, with no more details it's possible that's talking about an adaptation of the Kelley Armstrong series.  Or even the James Lovegrove novel (though that is only one book in a series of 10).

Given the fact that the story would have to be written essentially from scratch, it's not surprising that there haven't been any updates since July.

The WOT fan wiki is probably the place to keep an eye on for updates on this.  They actually have a page for the film.  And they link to the previously mentioned IMDB page, so it probably isn't actually about one of those other books.

Age of Legends (film) | The Wheel of Time Wiki | Fandom

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 8:32 AM, David124 said:

I suspect that part of the reason that they have become tired of doing the show is that Martin has not finished the books, when both he and they expected him to They signed up to adapt a series of novels, which they did extremely well. Then they unexpectedly had to end up finishing the story on their own, with mixed results.

I disagree. Pretty sure that D&D knew exactly what they signed on with GRRM. After all, at the time he just released his 4th book where after 5 year gap, readers realized that he managed to omit most of protagonists and add half a dozen more of secondary/tertiary POVs, then he promised to finish next book in a year but spent 5 more years before release. Even if GRRM was optimistic about his release schedule, most serious fans knew the truth. Thats why D&D rejected outright his "proposal" to extend series to 10 seasons so he would be able to complete book series, because they didn't believe he would be able to do it.

They keep adding new characters to the show every few weeks.  Baile Domon and now the Harry Potter girl.  This show seems like it will be too fragmented with all these characters.  8 episodes definitely not enough, especially when it comes at the cost of reducing major character screentime.  

34 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

They keep adding new characters to the show every few weeks.  Baile Domon and now the Harry Potter girl.  This show seems like it will be too fragmented with all these characters.  8 episodes definitely not enough, especially when it comes at the cost of reducing major character screentime.  

I don't think adding characters will fragment the show - the writers will take care of that.

I enjoyed the massive amount of characters in the books.  Wasn't always easy but was enjoyable.

I'm sure they planned for all these characters, but my impression is based off season 1 where there were lots of characters and not enough screentime for them all.  Especially the major characters... everything felt rushed.   The extra time would really help the show, but I'm sure Amazon wants to stick to a budget here in the days of inflation.  

51 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

I'm sure they planned for all these characters, but my impression is based off season 1 where there were lots of characters and not enough screentime for them all.  Especially the major characters... everything felt rushed.   The extra time would really help the show, but I'm sure Amazon wants to stick to a budget here in the days of inflation.  

Can't have a show with just a bunch of main characters

I'll never get the "only 8 episodes" excuse. They clearly felt they had plenty of time to dedicate a full episode to some obscure Warder's moping, suicide, and grand funeral. That's evidence of not knowing what to do with the episodes you do have. 

It also doesn't excuse the level of writing that has the girls constantly bringing people back from the dead with the power of Crying Really Hard. 

Probably would have been an altogether different show. Though maybe if they’d simply spent more time on the casting in the first place it also would have turned out differently, and likely better as well. Some of their cast choices have just been downright baffling.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:39 AM, DojoToad said:

I don't think adding characters will fragment the show - the writers will take care of that.

I enjoyed the massive amount of characters in the books.  Wasn't always easy but was enjoyable.

I’m not certain the writers will take care of that. We’ve only gotten eight episodes thus far and the writing seemed a bit scatterbrained to say the least. I also love the massive detail and number of characters from the books but the books are detailed, precise, and lengthy, AND there’s 14 of them. The show has only cherry-picked bits from the first 3 books and they still don’t always seem to know what they want to concentrate on. Oh, and the biggest difference being that the writing of the books was actually good; the show’s writing, with a few exceptions, is mediocre. Naturally this is just my opinion and I’d like to point out that I actually enjoyed the show, just not as a visual presentation of the books, but it’s own, separate thing.

6 hours ago, Craig Lee said:

I’m not certain the writers will take care of that. We’ve only gotten eight episodes thus far and the writing seemed a bit scatterbrained to say the least. I also love the massive detail and number of characters from the books but the books are detailed, precise, and lengthy, AND there’s 14 of them. The show has only cherry-picked bits from the first 3 books and they still don’t always seem to know what they want to concentrate on. Oh, and the biggest difference being that the writing of the books was actually good; the show’s writing, with a few exceptions, is mediocre. Naturally this is just my opinion and I’d like to point out that I actually enjoyed the show, just not as a visual presentation of the books, but it’s own, separate thing.

Sorry for not being clear. My comment was meant to be sarcastic. I think the writing was one of the main weaknesses of the show.

Adding characters won’t weaken the show further, but the way they are incorporated by the writers will. 

• 2 weeks later...

It does not matter if it is 6 or 8 or 10 or 13 episodes for S1.  Refe and the writing staff "updating a literary classic" would still screw it up.  It is the Wheel of Time is name only as the story is not what Jordan wrote, it is not Jordan's world and no matter how many episodes in S1 the staff would screw it up.  I could do a 100x better job with no production experience than the current "professional" staff.  Let that sink in as the truth.  

The show sucks.  The number of episodes = the number of crappy episodes aired.  The less the better considering how bad S1 is.