1. 1. Where are you at on the TV show?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • Neutral
    • Dislike it
    • Hate it

This poll is closed to new votes

14 hours ago, A Memory Of Why said:

I here they used stunt bums... booty doubles.?

Totally takes away from the imerssion IMO.

Not just booty doubles, the "Shame Shame" scene Lena Headey used a full body double for the naked body, even a small film, the Bronze (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bronze_(film)) Melissa Rauch used a body double for the love making scenes. In an interview she talked about casting the actor that played her naked body. 

3 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

Not just booty doubles, the "Shame Shame" scene Lena Headey used a full body double for the naked body, even a small film, the Bronze (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bronze_(film)) Melissa Rauch used a body double for the love making scenes. In an interview she talked about casting the actor that played her naked body. 

I think that is best way to play it.  Having an anonymous do the nudity in most cases is probably best for everyone.  Rarely do I think full nudity really adds anything to scenes.  I'd rather have a convincing actor then get a body that looks appealing on screen.

19 hours ago, Guire said:

I think that is best way to play it.  Having an anonymous do the nudity in most cases is probably best for everyone.  Rarely do I think full nudity really adds anything to scenes.  I'd rather have a convincing actor then get a body that looks appealing on screen.

I mean it really doesn't bother me, I stopped getting excited by nudity on TV a long time ago lol. But I agree, I think the days of actors being expected to also get naked on screen themselves is long gone and that is a good thing. 

It does however make me think of my fav xmas movie, Love Actually and the storyline between the 2 body doubles in that movie 🙂. I do also wonder, in the age of CGI now, how long before you don't even need a human body double and they just film the actors in a green screen leotard and then take the clothes away in post. Just think of the people who will lose jobs to technology.

Edited by Sir_Charrid

Yeah, I'm all for actors being comfortable. I'd much prefer they showcase their talents over assets, obviously unless the scene calls for ample bosoms and the such.

In saying that I have it on reliable reports that was, in fact Lan Madragorans bottom we were "unnecessarily" forced to witness. 

And I hear that borderland ladies joke he can use it to crack a macadamia nut with a light cough 😉

13 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

I think the days of actors being expected to also get naked on screen themselves is long gone and that is a good thing. 

Why is it a good thing?  Surely it is even more degrading to have an additional individual solely to portray the naked body due to the big name/high price actor having the clout to refuse?  If the role calls for nudity then it calls for an actor willing to do that - I do not see it as being the same as substituting stunt players in action scenes since those call for particular skills that not all actors can carry out.   It makes more sense to restrict nudity to where it is "artistically necessary".  It would have been degrading enough for a woman of Cersei's status to make the walk in penitents garb and shaved head, barefoot and pelted with filth (admittedly as the book was written fully nude the there would have been plenty of criticism of the change).

5 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

Why is it a good thing?  Surely it is even more degrading to have an additional individual solely to portray the naked body due to the big name/high price actor having the clout to refuse?  If the role calls for nudity then it calls for an actor willing to do that - I do not see it as being the same as substituting stunt players in action scenes since those call for particular skills that not all actors can carry out.   It makes more sense to restrict nudity to where it is "artistically necessary".  It would have been degrading enough for a woman of Cersei's status to make the walk in penitents garb and shaved head, barefoot and pelted with filth (admittedly as the book was written fully nude the there would have been plenty of criticism of the change).

Because there are very very good actors who don't want to get naked on set anymore, it also perpetuates the idea that an actress must look a certain way with her clothes off, meaning crash diets, use of surgery to remove every little roll or stretch mark etc. There is a reason the industry moved to body doubles many years ago and that was to help actors feel safe and secure and because directors where saying things like. "your great and all but your ass is a bit saggy compared to how I want my leading lady and you have that naked shower scene so sorry your not the right person". 

This way the Director gets what they want, and the actor is not treated like a piece of meat and lets be honest, it was 95% women being objectified in that way. 

41 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

Because there are very very good actors who don't want to get naked on set anymore, it also perpetuates the idea that an actress must look a certain way with her clothes off, meaning crash diets, use of surgery to remove every little roll or stretch mark etc. There is a reason the industry moved to body doubles many years ago and that was to help actors feel safe and secure and because directors where saying things like. "your great and all but your ass is a bit saggy compared to how I want my leading lady and you have that naked shower scene so sorry your not the right person". 

This way the Director gets what they want, and the actor is not treated like a piece of meat and lets be honest, it was 95% women being objectified in that way. 

So now only the body double is treated as a piece of meat?  Progress…

20 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

I would counter that the majority of people in the world are pieces of meat for their jobs.  Some get adequate compensation others don't.  In this instance, my enjoyment of a movie or show is greatly increased by the skill of the actor and their ability to draw me into their character.  Limiting roles to people who fit a certain body type or appearance naked might cut out the perfect actor for that role.  Some people with attractive bodies seem to really enjoy staying fit and showing off their bodies in various states of nudity.  I just see it as another job easily moved on from with no long term consequences for the performer.  This changes if anonymous body doubles start being attributed in credits.  But otherwise good work if you can get it.

2 hours ago, Guire said:

I would counter that the majority of people in the world are pieces of meat for their jobs.  Some get adequate compensation others don't.  In this instance, my enjoyment of a movie or show is greatly increased by the skill of the actor and their ability to draw me into their character.  Limiting roles to people who fit a certain body type or appearance naked might cut out the perfect actor for that role.  Some people with attractive bodies seem to really enjoy staying fit and showing off their bodies in various states of nudity.  I just see it as another job easily moved on from with no long term consequences for the performer.  This changes if anonymous body doubles start being attributed in credits.  But otherwise good work if you can get it.

So if the nude role is attributed the actor is a piece of meat.  But if it is anonymous, it is a great opportunity?

• Community Administrator
On 11/10/2022 at 8:21 AM, Guire said:

10 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

4 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

3 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Can we all agree, that if an actor doesn't want to get naked on set, that they should never be pressured into it? And under no circumstances should they ever forced to get naked?

That if a body double wishes to be credited anonymously, then those wishes should be granted?

That if an actor loves going naked on set, or a body double wants their name out there, then more power to them?

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

So if the nude role is attributed the actor is a piece of meat.  But if it is anonymous, it is a great opportunity?

I think Sinister layed this out nicely.  I still want to clarify my thoughts.  Hollywood has forced nudity on younger actors at times that the actors felt they had to do in order to work.  Or roles were limited to actors whose bodies were appealing to studio.  I see this as bad for actors and for me.

However say you are a yoga instructor or athlete that has an attractive body and you are comfortable with nudity.  Getting an occasional paycheck that might greatly enhance your quality of life is a positive.  You can share what you do or not but you have agency.

47 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Can we all agree, that if an actor doesn't want to get naked on set, that they should never be pressured into it? And under no circumstances should they ever forced to get naked?

Yes.  Though I don't think that is how the industry works.  Many feel pressure to get bare - thinking it will be their big break.  This coming from an industry outsider.

47 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

That if a body double wishes to be credited anonymously, then those wishes should be granted?

That if an actor loves going naked on set, or a body double wants their name out there, then more power to them?

Yes - their name out there might generate future opportunities to show their 'stuff'.  Imagine others might just want the immediate payday and move on.

7 minutes ago, Guire said:

I think Sinister layed this out nicely.  I still want to clarify my thoughts.  Hollywood has forced nudity on younger actors at times that the actors felt they had to do in order to work.  Or roles were limited to actors whose bodies were appealing to studio.  I see this as bad for actors and for me.

However say you are a yoga instructor or athlete that has an attractive body and you are comfortable with nudity.  Getting an occasional paycheck that might greatly enhance your quality of life is a positive.  You can share what you do or not but you have agency.

Thanks for fleshing out your reply.

The problem still remains that if the director wants nudity, the director will get it.  Just needs to say: "This one scene requires nudity.  If you are not comfortable, I'll move on to someone else."  The pressure becomes self-imposed by the actor if they want to work and the director is off the hook.

2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Thanks for fleshing out your reply.

The problem still remains that if the director wants nudity, the director will get it.  Just needs to say: "This one scene requires nudity.  If you are not comfortable, I'll move on to someone else."  The pressure becomes self-imposed by the actor if they want to work and the director is off the hook.

Maybe off the hook from the show executives, but I (audience) will judge the Light out of any director that uses things like nudity and violence without taste or justification for the story.

• Community Administrator
16 minutes ago, VooDooNut said:

Maybe off the hook from the show executives, but I (audience) will judge the Light out of any director that uses things like nudity and violence without taste or justification for the story.

100%.

Then there's B Horror movies, where random nudity that serves no purpose can be the only redeeming quality about the movie. That's just one of many reasons why B horror movies don't win Oscars. 

6 hours ago, VooDooNut said:

Will such judgement (if carried out by sufficient numbers of consumers) have any financial consequence for the studio/director?  Will people cancel streaming subscriptions as a result?  If not then it will continue.

The main societal problem with substituting a body double without flaws (or using CGI to edit out any flaws) is that it continues the promotion of unrealistic standards of appearance with impacts for those who strive for these and cannot achieve them (such as eating disorders).   Balancing the individual freedom to strip for the camera if the person genuinely wants to with the greater good is a big problem.